By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 2DS Officially Discontinued??

So according to multiple sources and people, there's been a rumor going around that the final shipments of New 2DS XL systems have been rolling in mainly through Walmart. Do you guys think Nintendo will quietly discontinue the 3DS line of systems? Do you think this is officially the end of New 2DS systems being sold or do you think it'll continue selling more for the next several months or even y

Nintendo seemed to discontinue the OG 2DS and in their recent fiscal year investor meeting they didn't even offer a 3DS sales forecast for this fiscal year, which likely means this will be the last year Nintendo will continue selling 3DS systems.

Imo, I think that's it for the 2DS, there simply isn't enough demand for it anymore for Nintendo to continue selling it. It had a hell of a run though, never would I imagined this somewhat under powered portable device in 2011 would last for 9 years especially in the mobile game age. This system proved there's still a market for dedicated handhelds and how games will always sell systems, not tech specs. This system proved a lot of people wrong and had a killer library. It seems like this is it for the DS line as a whole(2004-2020).

At one point in 2017 I was wondering if Nintendo would release a 3DS successor eventually, but I realized the Switch Lite was officially their successor being a more affordable, handheld only device and I believed combining the two divisions was the right thing to do. 

Around the Network

If not, it should be soon, now that the Lite is out it really has no reason to exist any more.

RolStoppable said:
You said it yourself, Nintendo didn't provide a hardware forecast for the 3DS family. It shipped only 0.69m in the previous fiscal year, so the only logical conclusion is imminent discontinuation.

Doesn't look like the 3DS can reach 76m, so it will stop close before it (75.77m LTD by March 31st). Along with 13.56m Wii U consoles, this results in a hardware tally of ~89.4m for the previous generation. Very weak generation, but that has been a foregone conclusion for a long time already.

Very weak indeed, but only natural I suppose, considering that between them 3DS and Wii U are the two most poorly conceived Nintendo systems outside of the Virtual Boy. Thankfully, the Switch is a massive improvement, as will be reflected by it easily outselling the two combined.

Here's hoping they never again have to suffer through a generation like that one.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Very weak indeed, but only natural I suppose, considering that between them 3DS and Wii U are the two most poorly conceived Nintendo systems outside of the Virtual Boy. Thankfully, the Switch is a massive improvement, as will be reflected by it easily outselling the two combined.

Here's hoping they never again have to suffer through a generation like that one.

Nintendo won't have to think up a differentiating factor in the future because Sony is no more in the handheld market, so the likelihood for plain crazy hardware is much lower going forward. Doesn't make it impossible, but at least improbable.

Under the current circumstances Nintendo's next console is likely to be what the GBA was to the GB, essentially nothing more than beefed up hardware with slight adjustments to the feature set.

Normally I'd complain about just the same basic design being beefed up in power but otherwise unchanged, but in this case I really think that's the best move; 3DS/Wii U show that going for weird different-for-the-sake-of-different designs can blow up in your face.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 09 June 2020

I'll miss that generation so much, if only the Switch had the missing features of the 3DS/Wii U it'd be awesome.

I know... my English sucks.

If it was "officially" discontinued there would be an "official" announcement so the question is a bit redundant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Normally I'd complain about just the same basic design being beefed up in power but otherwise unchanged, but in this case I really think that's the best move; 3DS/Wii U showed that going for weird different-for-the-sake-of-different designs can blow up in your face.

The DS and Wii successors could have been mere power upgrades (both) and improved motion controllers (Wii successor) and they would have worked. The PSP successor wouldn't have stood a chance, PS Move fell flat fast and Microsoft's Kinect didn't have much staying power either. A key part of the Wii was that its motion controller wasn't just an add-on and that the console was more than just motion controls, so games could be created beyond that. But with the 3DS and Wii U Nintendo wanted to push other things, so we got those abominations. Nevertheless, even the aforementioned hypothetical DS and Wii successors would have run into the issue of increased development times for games, so they wouldn't have been as successful as the DS and Wii due to fewer Nintendo games getting released.

The entire point of Nintendo's differentiation was that both Sony and Microsoft had deeper pockets, so they could sell the hardware at a loss to provide better specs at the same price, and buy up third party content to tip the scale in their favor. Now with Sony being eliminated from the handheld market, Nintendo's hybrid console design comes with the built-in differentiating factor of portability, so innovations in control or otherwise aren't necessary anymore. I just hope Nintendo doesn't forget about this and stays their course instead of taking a stupid route along the lines of "our developers want to do something crazy because they would be bored otherwise."

Agreed, there's no longer any need for further unnecessary differentiation now that the hybrid model is a proven success.

Fingers crossed they simply improve on what the Switch already nailed; more power, better Joycons.

Hopefully the need for games to be played portably will prevent them adding many mandatory gimmicks in regards to input.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Normally I'd complain about just the same basic design being beefed up in power but otherwise unchanged, but in this case I really think that's the best move; 3DS/Wii U showed that going for weird different-for-the-sake-of-different designs can blow up in your face.

The DS and Wii successors could have been mere power upgrades (both) and improved motion controllers (Wii successor) and they would have worked. The PSP successor wouldn't have stood a chance, PS Move fell flat fast and Microsoft's Kinect didn't have much staying power either. A key part of the Wii was that its motion controller wasn't just an add-on and that the console was more than just motion controls, so games could be created beyond that. But with the 3DS and Wii U Nintendo wanted to push other things, so we got those abominations. Nevertheless, even the aforementioned hypothetical DS and Wii successors would have run into the issue of increased development times for games, so they wouldn't have been as successful as the DS and Wii due to fewer Nintendo games getting released.

The entire point of Nintendo's differentiation was that both Sony and Microsoft had deeper pockets, so they could sell the hardware at a loss to provide better specs at the same price, and buy up third party content to tip the scale in their favor. Now with Sony being eliminated from the handheld market, Nintendo's hybrid console design comes with the built-in differentiating factor of portability, so innovations in control or otherwise aren't necessary anymore. I just hope Nintendo doesn't forget about this and stays their course instead of taking a stupid route along the lines of "our developers want to do something crazy because they would be bored otherwise."

TBH the 3DS is kinda just an upgraded DS, the 3DS didn't have a hardware design that was so vastly different from the DS. The 3DS if you look at it was essentially a more powerful DSI with the 3D feature added to it as it's innovative feature, and the 3D wasn't anything that completely changed the way you played games on the DS much at all. So by calling the 3DS an abomination, it's essentially like calling the DS an abomination since they're very similar products.

Imo the 3DS's lack of true innovation might've hurt the 3DS's sales in the long run, since the DS's design by the time the 3DS released in 2011 was considered outdated compared to smartphones which had one bigger capacitive touch screen and display than the smaller resistive lower res touch screen and display could offer. The 3DS didn't really offer anything new besides the 3D function, which wasn't a big deal at all to people and Nintendo releasing multiple non-3D 3DS's prove that.

I felt like if a Switch like system released in 2011 instead of the 3DS it would've done a lot better with the Switch having a more modern design with detachable controllers with a modern featureset being it's Innovation. A concept that hasn't really been mainstream before.

Also, the reason why Nintendo is trying to be so different now is not because of money, because they easily have the money to compete with Sony & Microsoft if they wanted to, Nintendo could lose 250Million every year and still be alive for 40 years. The reason is because they simply just don't want to even if it means that they make more money taking the competitive route. The upper management and top execs of Nintendo aren't just people who want to make money, they're passionate about the consoles and games they make. Nintendo execs just don't want to fathom the fact that they need to make a system that's conventional & powerful that competes with Sony & Microsoft and has a ton of  multiplats. To Nintendo, making a system like that doesn't have enough personality and Nintendo's top execs want to make a system with tons of personality and innovation that pushes the industry forward even if it is risky. Nintendo easily has the money to get developers on board their systems and release high spec systems at a loss to compete with Sony & Microsoft, they simply just choose not to cause they want their products to stand out and have innovation.

Last edited by javi741 - on 09 June 2020