By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - We Need to Talk About Xenoblade DE's Resolution

Tagged games:

How do you feel about 378-540p resolution in a major 2020 release?

Doesn't bother me at all. 33 52.38%

It's not great, but I'm g... 5 7.94%

I'm a little disappointed. 6 9.52%

It's a big let down. Real... 6 9.52%

This isn't acceptable for... 11 17.46%

I'm putting my Switch in the microwave. 2 3.17%

Total:63

I wasn't overly impressed by the remaster's look, but those are some pretty low resolutions. It really shouldn't ever dip below 480p on a handheld that supports up to 720p anyway.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:
I wasn't overly impressed by the remaster's look, but those are some pretty low resolutions. It really shouldn't ever dip below 480p on a handheld that supports up to 720p anyway.

Agreed. I feel like 640p docked and 480p handheld should be the absolute floor for dynamic resolutions on the Switch. If it's a dynamic resolution, at least let it max out at 900p or above so we can enjoy the scenery when there's literally nothing going on :/

And, I have to say it at this point...

If DE is hitting 720p consistently, there is something else going on with the output. This game has that N64, whole picture vaseline smear look when you compare it to almost any other 720p native game on the system. Even setting the Switch to 720p output doesn't seem to truly eliminate the issue as it did with XC2.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

NightlyPoe said:
Immersiveunreality said:

You have every right to express disappointment over a game with the same pricetag as AAA games today that does not deliver on all aspects.

And I have a right to point out that this whole thread is ridiculous.  The very title says is all "We need to talk about..." a number.  Not the quality of the game.  Not even whether the number makes a considerable difference during gameplay.  Simply a number.  Again, we did this nonsense a few days ago with Wonderful 101 for absolutely no reason.

It's basic toxic mob BS that's ruined all media.  This thread only exists because society is getting worse.

Depending on consumer that number can have more or less weight,if you are paying full price for a game like that you have the right to highten the bar that is needed to make it a worthy purchase.

You might not be bothered by things that would constantly remind others of the bad purchase they might make buying this title.

If the price is not such a big deal for you then that is great but respect others right on opinion about value.

Looked up other reviews that tell wonderfull 101 and xenoblade chronicles are great games but still dissapoint as remasters and a lot of people seem to think that way,i'm not really sure myself that this kind of remaster justifies giving it an AAA price again after all those years.If you do not care about a decent remaster then you have earlier much cheaper versions of the game that give a close enough experience.

If it bothers some of you that much then I will suggest you purchase an Mclassic.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

StuOhQ said:
Wman1996 said:

Agreed. I feel like 640p docked and 480p handheld should be the absolute floor for dynamic resolutions on the Switch. If it's a dynamic resolution, at least let it max out at 900p or above so we can enjoy the scenery when there's literally nothing going on :/

And, I have to say it at this point...

If DE is hitting 720p consistently, there is something else going on with the output. This game has that N64, whole picture vaseline smear look when you compare it to almost any other 720p native game on the system. Even setting the Switch to 720p output doesn't seem to truly eliminate the issue as it did with XC2.

I can understand if ambitious ports of current gen games like Witcher 3 go below 640p docked, but a touched up Wii game really shouldn't in my opinion. The resolution itself does not bother me as I've played and indeed enjoyed games on Switch that run lower, but those at least had a good reason for it. 

Given that I'm not buying this game, I'm not hugely bothered, just a little concerned about the technical state of Monolith's output on Switch and what it could mean for their new project.

Around the Network

I played the game on 3ds and liked it. Don't spoil it for me, but does Future Connected connect at all with Xenoblade Chronicles 2? I have beaten XC2 and I know how that game ends.

Just trying to determine if it's worth getting this so I can experience that. If the content is just limited in scope (rather than the Pandora's box that was opened in XC2 ending) I may pass.

NightlyPoe said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Depending on consumer that number can have more or less weight,if you are paying full price for a game like that you have the right to highten the bar that is needed to make it a worthy purchase.

You might not be bothered by things that would constantly remind others of the bad purchase they might make buying this title.

If the price is not such a big deal for you then that is great but respect others right on opinion about value.

Looked up other reviews that tell wonderfull 101 and xenoblade chronicles are great games but still dissapoint as remasters and a lot of people seem to think that way,i'm not really sure myself that this kind of remaster justifies giving it an AAA price again after all those years.If you do not care about a decent remaster then you have earlier much cheaper versions of the game that give a close enough experience.

Nope.  Relativism not allowed.

If you want to say, "It doesn't look like a big enough improvement for me to buy" then that is your opinion and could go on the main thread.  People complained about Xenoblade 2's performance on handheld, but it wasn't done in such a toxic manner with people defending it.  If you are in a thread complaining exclusively about a number as "We Need to Talk About" as if Monolith did something naughty, then you need to check yourself.

This entire thread's premise is problematic.

Yeah maybe it should all have been adressed as his own personal take instead of the ''we need to talk about'' but to be honest i did not even look at it like that in such a way.

But i understand your opinion better now.

NightlyPoe said:
Immersiveunreality said:

You have every right to express disappointment over a game with the same pricetag as AAA games today that does not deliver on all aspects.

And I have a right to point out that this whole thread is ridiculous.  The very title says is all "We need to talk about..." a number.  Not the quality of the game.  Not even whether the number makes a considerable difference during gameplay.  Simply a number.  Again, we did this nonsense a few days ago with Wonderful 101 for absolutely no reason.

It's basic toxic mob BS that's ruined all media.  This thread only exists because society is getting worse.

This thread exists because I - a die hard Nintendo fanboy and Monolithsoft devotee - am let down by the picture quality of this remaster. I don't think it's an "ugly" game or has "bad graphics". I think that it is an outstanding game that is let down by a resolution that makes it harder to appreciate the beautiful world crafted by Monolithsoft.

No, this resolution doesn't wreck the game play.

The resolution (in combination with what seems to be aggressive AA) does diminish the open-world experience for me, and the overall presentation suffers for it. If you don't agree, that's why we're "talking about" the optimization choices Monolithsoft has made.

If the game looks good to you, awesome. If not, your opinion isn't invalidated because the presentation doesn't bug others.

Hopefully Ninty and Monsoft see that around half of their audience is put off by this approach to various degrees and either A) patches their previous games, or B) makes sure they don't repeat it with their next project. I'm just a big fan hoping I don't have to add a PQ caveat every time I praise future Xenoblade projects. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

I just checked out portable mode. It looks a lot better than Xenoblade 2 and Torna. I still haven't encountered a situation were it looked bad. Seriously, it looks really good on screen. Which makes me think the "360p" is just there as a "just in case" low end. It seems unlikely for the game to actually show that resolution...

I have no problem at all playing this on a 110" screen
havent suffered any lag what so ever either.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints