By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - We Need to Talk About Xenoblade DE's Resolution

Tagged games:

How do you feel about 378-540p resolution in a major 2020 release?

Doesn't bother me at all. 33 52.38%

It's not great, but I'm g... 5 7.94%

I'm a little disappointed. 6 9.52%

It's a big let down. Real... 6 9.52%

This isn't acceptable for... 11 17.46%

I'm putting my Switch in the microwave. 2 3.17%

Total:63
Shaunodon said:
Jpcc86 said:

Will wait for a patch. Nowadays some things are acceptable and some are not, and "it doesnt bother me" doesnt quite cut it for a "sideshow" game.

You're welcome to find it unacceptable, but that's no different from "it doesn't bother me" other than you're vastly in the minority, given the overall reception from critics and players so far.

Which is perfectly fine, I speak for myself, not for anyone else, nor do I think my opinion represents anything in "the overall reception" of this or any other game.

Mar1217 said:
Jpcc86 said:

Will wait for a patch. Nowadays some things are acceptable and some are not, and "it doesnt bother me" doesnt quite cut it for a "sideshow" game.

Knowing the game was already finished a while ago. I'm pretty sure, the updates won't even change the resolution, it sure did nothing with Xeno 2 except for QoL improvements.

Big oof, but yeah, I also think thats the case. I still will keep this game on my radar, I liked the original a lot, im sure in due time im gonna really want to go back to it. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Shaunodon said:

Just because this game isn't pushing the hardware's capabilities, doesn't mean the results aren't great. Even Digital Foundary said it's a significant upgrade over the original in most areas. Stop whining just because it's not perfect. This routine is getting old.

What "routine"? Aside from responding when quoted I merely made one post expressing my personal disappointment that Monolith's Switch efforts so far haven't wowed the way their predecessors did on Wii and Wii U, that's all.

You have every right to express disappointment over a game with the same pricetag as AAA games today that does not deliver on all aspects.

I find Digital Foundry's video quite too harsh on the game. I mean, everything they point out is true. However, I don't know what they expected from something they themselves call a remaster. They improved/changed textures, they redid the faces of characters, they have implemented new more realistic shadows and lightning, they have added water reflections, AA and Motion Blur, grass is no longer a JPEG texture, they increased the resolution (even if they could have done a better job on that front), they remastered the soundtrack, they added 12-20 hours of story, they completely redid the menus and UI... and yet, throught the video they keep manifesting slight disappointment over every area they talk about.

Excuse me... what are you talking about? This game did A TON more than what your average remaster brings to the table. They transformed a Wii game into something that could pass as a Switch title (even if it doesn't look like one of the best Switch titles). Most remasters I can think of don't go nearly as far. They upgrade the resolution, upgrade some textures... and then they split between the ones that upgrade the framerate, the ones that rearrange the soundtrack and the ones that polish some gameplay aspects.

Honestly, I can't understand why they sound disappointed. I understand the resolution issue, that's certainly concearning. But everything else? C'mon, it's excellent for a remaster!

If this is a 60$ release, I am sorry, but it is unacceptable in this stage. Looking at the DF video it became painfully obvious that it's a cash grab on Monolith's side. I am really sorry, but X2 looks poor and they should have taken their time to figure it out how to "remaster" a 2010 Wii game for it to run at 30FPS locked at 1080p docked mode and 720p handheld mode...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Shaunodon said:
Jpcc86 said:

You're welcome to find it unacceptable, but that's no different from "it doesn't bother me" other than you're vastly in the minority, given the overall reception from critics and players so far.

Absolutely. Everyone should vote with their wallets, regardless if it's a minority or a majority vote. I have plenty of games on my Switch right now, and even though the game was on my radar for a while, I decided not to buy it in it's current state, because for me and a minority of the players who were potential buyers, it's simply not a good enough effort. 

That doesn't mean that you and others can't enjoy the game, it only means that Monolith probably lost a certain percentage of their potential sales due to their inability to properly polish the game. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
hunter_alien said:
If this is a 60$ release, I am sorry, but it is unacceptable in this stage. Looking at the DF video it became painfully obvious that it's a cash grab on Monolith's side. I am really sorry, but X2 looks poor and they should have taken their time to figure it out how to "remaster" a 2010 Wii game for it to run at 30FPS locked at 1080p docked mode and 720p handheld mode...

Looks like XC:DE will be the next Pokémon Sword&Shield at this rate.

There is a pretty strong market for games like XDE. I have no doubt that it will do decent/good numbers in general. Hell, it doesn't have to sell a lot to be profitable. This is not a 0 sum game. There are simply some of us whom would have liked if more effort would have been put into this remaster/remake/touchup or whatever we want to call it. For us, the lack of polish is a dealbreaker. 

Vodacixi said:

I find Digital Foundry's video quite too harsh on the game. I mean, everything they point out is true. However, I don't know what they expected from something they themselves call a remaster. They improved/changed textures, they redid the faces of characters, they have implemented new more realistic shadows and lightning, they have added water reflections, AA and Motion Blur, grass is no longer a JPEG texture, they increased the resolution (even if they could have done a better job on that front), they remastered the soundtrack, they added 12-20 hours of story, they completely redid the menus and UI... and yet, throught the video they keep manifesting slight disappointment over every area they talk about.

Excuse me... what are you talking about? This game did A TON more than what your average remaster brings to the table. They transformed a Wii game into something that could pass as a Switch title (even if it doesn't look like one of the best Switch titles). Most remasters I can think of don't go nearly as far. They upgrade the resolution, upgrade some textures... and then they split between the ones that upgrade the framerate, the ones that rearrange the soundtrack and the ones that polish some gameplay aspects.

Honestly, I can't understand why they sound disappointed. I understand the resolution issue, that's certainly concearning. But everything else? C'mon, it's excellent for a remaster!

Indeed. That's the problem with the expectations for a remaster vs expectations for a remake.

When you make a remaster, people expect a greater resolution and framerate + some improved textures.

Wehn you make a remake, people expect to play pretty much the same game with some nice changes.

And Xenoblade DE is basically a prequel to Xenoblade 2, based on XC2 with most elements took from the original Wii game. So the game runs pretty much the same as XC2.

But comparing it as other "remasters", it can seem disapointing.

hunter_alien said:
Shaunodon said:

Absolutely. Everyone should vote with their wallets, regardless if it's a minority or a majority vote. I have plenty of games on my Switch right now, and even though the game was on my radar for a while, I decided not to buy it in it's current state, because for me and a minority of the players who were potential buyers, it's simply not a good enough effort. 

That doesn't mean that you and others can't enjoy the game, it only means that Monolith probably lost a certain percentage of their potential sales due to their inability to properly polish the game. 

Yeah, see, this is where some people want to go a step too far. You can say it's not what you hoped, or you expected more, but not properly polished? Fine if that's your opinion, but don't state it like it's fact.

Even some of the most critical sources like Digital Foundary define it, "...a rather nice remaster that does not go above and beyond." Trying to say or imply that it's not properly polished, is at least a step or two removed from that, and is pretty ridiculous.

It could've been better, but it's hardly inadequate.

Shaunodon said:
hunter_alien said:

Yeah, see, this is where some people want to go a step too far. You can say it's not what you hoped, or you expected more, but not properly polished? Fine if that's your opinion, but don't state it like it's fact.

Even some of the most critical sources like Digital Foundary define it, "...a rather nice remaster that does not go above and beyond." Trying to say or imply that it's not properly polished, is at least a step or two removed from that, and is pretty ridiculous.

It could've been better, but it's hardly inadequate.

I think it was pretty obvious that I was speaking for myself, but if it was not clear enough, I will rephrase it: I honest to god think that by my standards XDE is a poorly polished and technically incompetent game, and for this reason, I will not be willing to pay 60$ for an experience that otherwise could be a very decent game, and one that I would have purchased if it would have lived up to my expectations

But again, I really don't think that I was not clear enough beforehand in my comments, especially when I tried my best to emphasize that I share an obvious minority opinion.

hunter_alien said:

It doesn't even need to be 1080P and 720P.

1600x900@Docked and 1138x640@Portable respectively is perfectly adequate, even lower than that if they employ decent Anti-Aliasing and upscaling.

Depending on the complexity of the visuals (I.E. Low Geometry thus less pixel crawl), even 1280x720@Docked and 853x480@Portable is fine.

We need to keep in mind this is a Nintendo platform, the expectation that games on a Nintendo platform are going to chase industry standards in terms of resolution/framerates/graphics effects has been out of the window for almost 15 years now... And that is okay. What is important is "good enough".

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--