By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - We Need to Talk About Xenoblade DE's Resolution

Tagged games:

How do you feel about 378-540p resolution in a major 2020 release?

Doesn't bother me at all. 33 52.38%

It's not great, but I'm g... 5 7.94%

I'm a little disappointed. 6 9.52%

It's a big let down. Real... 6 9.52%

This isn't acceptable for... 11 17.46%

I'm putting my Switch in the microwave. 2 3.17%

Total:63
hinch said:

Low balling, really? Reaching to as low as 368p is abysmal and criticism is warranted. Dynamically running 504p-360p isn't great lets be honest, especially coming from a remaster. XB2 also ran at similar resolution and guess what.. that also looks bad when running on handheld mode - and that was a new game not a remaster.

The game doesn’t constantly get to the lowest metrics. It remains at the highest value most of the time.

You are trying to make this a bigger deal than it is. 720p still looks soft, but in no way does the game consistently run at its lowest values, be it in docked or handheld mode.

Around the Network
hinch said:

Low balling, really? Reaching to as low as 368p is abysmal and criticism is warranted. Dynamically running 504p-360p isn't great lets be honest, especially coming from a remaster. XB2 also ran at similar resolution and guess what.. that also looks bad when running on handheld mode - and that was a new game not a remaster.

Compare Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD to this game. This game is a simple remaster which only increasing the resolution like those twos?

hinch said:

DP, sorry.

Hynad said:
hinch said:

The game doesn’t constantly get to the lowest metrics. It remains at the highest value most of the time.

You are trying to make this a bigger deal than it is. 720p still looks soft, but in no way does the game consistently run at its lowest values, be it in docked or handheld mode.

Going to agree to disagree I want to play this on the big screen but not at 720P. Like XB2 I was put off by the resolution. I switch to handheld and UI is too small for this kind of game and is even worse for clarity.

Again we all have different setups and expectations. Whatever.. enjoy playing whatever not going to argue.

Vodacixi sai

... and yet, throught the video they keep manifesting slight disappointment over every area they talk about.

I think it's mainly because most of the improvements are somewhat muted by soft PQ. All of the work put in on effects, textures, and models almost makes the low resolution sting more. If it was a game I didn't feel passionately about, I'd honestly be more willing to shrug off a dynamic 720p (and muddy portable play).

As per my original XC2 video: "the world Monolithsoft has created is just too beautiful to have it covered up by an ugly picture."

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

I can't help but wonder if the less than optimal technical results of this game, like 2, are likely the result of the team being split across multiple projects, and if so I really hope their new game doesn't suffer as well.

curl-6 said:

I can't help but wonder if the less than optimal technical results of this game, like 2, are likely the result of the team being split across multiple projects, and if so I really hope their new game doesn't suffer as well.

Likely some truth to this. Which is why there's no point making an issue over it yet, until we've seen what they've actually devoted their main time and resources to. If their new game launches with similar underwhelming results, that's when it becomes a trend.

Some of us are just guilty of expecting a bit too much from at least this title. Myself included. But you shouldn't make it out to be more of a problem than it is.

Shaunodon said:
curl-6 said:

Likely some truth to this. Which is why there's no point making an issue over it yet, until we've seen what they've actually devoted their main time and resources to. If their new game launches with similar underwhelming results, that's when it becomes a trend.

Some of us are just guilty of expecting a bit too much from at least this title. Myself included. But you shouldn't make it out to be more of a problem than it is.

Good points. If the "major" title their main team is working on (and they're doing all sorts of hiring for) comes out with dynamic 720p - that's when we know their is a disconnect in priorities. I love that they are involved in the BotW titles, but Nintendo is a huge company and I don't want to see Monolithsoft's own projects suffer as a result of being overextended. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Honestly, I was expecting a blurry mess and I'm pleasant surprised that actually looks good, or acceptable, even in handheld mode. I wish it could be better, but yeah, it's still a good game.

StuOhQ said:
Shaunodon said:

Good points. If the "major" title their main team is working on (and they're doing all sorts of hiring for) comes out with dynamic 720p - that's when we know their is a disconnect in priorities. I love that they are involved in the BotW titles, but Nintendo is a huge company and I don't want to see Monolithsoft's own projects suffer as a result of being overextended. 

Their first studio, which is working on their new game, also produced Definitive Edition simultaneously, so if DE suffered so that more effort could go into an original project I'd be fine with that. If both suffered due to the team being spread too thin to do their best work though, that would be disappointing.