By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - We Need to Talk About Xenoblade DE's Resolution

Tagged games:

How do you feel about 378-540p resolution in a major 2020 release?

Doesn't bother me at all. 33 52.38%

It's not great, but I'm g... 5 7.94%

I'm a little disappointed. 6 9.52%

It's a big let down. Real... 6 9.52%

This isn't acceptable for... 11 17.46%

I'm putting my Switch in the microwave. 2 3.17%

Total:63
curl-6 said:

I am a little bothered that a team that once pushed the hardware of the Wii and Wii U to astounding heights can't seem to get good results out of the Switch so far.

I agree.

For me, the visual updates and QoL improvements are enough to bring me back to the game and justify a purchase, but I'd really like to see Monolithsoft stretch a little more in terms of visual fidelity. If they aren't going to at least target 900 or 1080p dynamically, lock the visuals at 720p - which is honestly a low bar to set for games designed specifically for the system. There are plenty of third-party ports from more powerful hardware that manage to maintain higher resolutions, and their own Xenoblade entry on the Wii U managed to do just that.

As far as portable mode is concerned, it seems that Monolithsoft is dismissive of it altogether. They have made UI improvements that allow the game to be more playable handheld than XCX was (that TINY font lol), but they seem unphased by the fact that they're turning out some of the most unpolished portable performances of any Switch titles... as a Nintendo 2nd party. Up until ARK came out, XC2 was generally considered to be the worst undocked optimization on the system.

These aren't gripes that will keep me from buying their products, but I'd be thrilled to see them take feedback and make improvements.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network
StuOhQ said:
curl-6 said:

I am a little bothered that a team that once pushed the hardware of the Wii and Wii U to astounding heights can't seem to get good results out of the Switch so far.

I agree.

For me, the visual updates and QoL improvements are enough to bring me back to the game and justify a purchase, but I'd really like to see Monolithsoft stretch a little more in terms of visual fidelity. If they aren't going to at least target 900 or 1080p dynamically, lock the visuals at 720p - which is honestly a low bar to set for games designed specifically for the system. There are plenty of third-party ports from more powerful hardware that manage to maintain higher resolutions, and their own Xenoblade entry on the Wii U managed to do just that.

As far as portable mode is concerned, it seems that Monolithsoft is dismissive of it altogether. They have made UI improvements that allow the game to be more playable handheld than XCX was (that TINY font lol), but they seem unphased by the fact that they're turning out some of the most unpolished portable performances of any Switch titles... as a Nintendo 2nd party. Up until ARK came out, XC2 was generally considered to be the worst undocked optimization on the system.

These aren't gripes that will keep me from buying their products, but I'd be thrilled to see them take feedback and make improvements.

I'm guessing you didn't watch the DF review yet, but they mentioned it made some improvements in portable mode over Xenoblade 2, while still not being ideal.

It's possible expectations for this game were set a bit too high. Outside of static trees, not ideal portable mode, and underwhelming resolution with occasional dips, this game still looks fantastic.

This is still a significantly improved version of an all-time classic, that wasn't easily accessible to buy. Along with even adding in bonus content. People that want to spend more time dwelling on small missed opportunities, could really use some perspective in this matter. Not that I'm accusing you.

curl-6 said:

I'm not buying the game, and 720p doesn't bother me, but I am a little bothered that a team that once pushed the hardware of the Wii and Wii U to astounding heights can't seem to get good results out of the Switch so far.

Granted, it could just be the fact that Xenoblade DE and 2 were developed by smaller teams in shorter timeframes, but it's a shame Monolith have declined a lot in the technical standard of their releases. Hopefully their next game breaks the slump and delivers the wow factor they used to be known for.

Can't even really use the excuse of small team. It was still greenlit by the company who thought that was enough and allocated those resources, and is selling full price.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

curl-6 said:
RolStoppable said:

Exactly what I was talking about.

My expectations are not "artificially shifted", I am and was well aware of the capabilities of the Wii and Wii U's hardware.

If that's the case, then you shouldn't have been impressed by games that made significant concessions in certain aspects in order to excel at what the developers were focusing on.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

The problem here is that if people really want higher resolutions, Monolith will obviously have to make graphical concessions on some rendering aspects.

Now, if they actually do exactly that, I can see people whinning about it not being as good looking than previous titles despite a higher resolution.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

It's not a good look releasing a £50 remaster, let alone one that's incredibly half-arsed. I'll buy it when it goes on sale...probably sometime closer to 2030 given Nintendo's recent attitude towards pricing.

Mar1217 said:
The problem here is that if people really want higher resolutions, Monolith will obviously have to make graphical concessions on some rendering aspects.

Now, if they actually do exactly that, I can see people whinning about it not being as good looking than previous titles despite a higher resolution.

Pretty much this.

In the development of this game, trade-offs and balances were made to give it the best visuals - in the original, they basically put N64 graphics in for the characters so they could have better visuals in the environments. Looking at arbitrary numbers, like the low end of a dynamic resolution, is meaningless compared to the actual result of what you see with your eyes.

I haven't read up on Eurogamer's assessment, but I think people raised their expectations too much with all these fictional tales about it being a brand new game built from the ground up rather than a remaster with budgets to enhance certain elements.

Obviously, some people are not going to see the value in the game, because it's an old game. Many of those, I believe, because they had larger expectations than what was delivered. This is why fans trying to build something up into something bigger than it is can backfire on their expectations, and actually damage the reputation of the product.

For me, this is day 1. But every Xeno-game has been day 1 for me since Xenogears... technically before day 1 in that case, since I originally imported it in Japanese.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

This is mainly a Nintendo fanbase forum so I'm not surprised by the poll results, but stuff like this bothered me back in Halo 2 and Halo 3 when they used funny resolutions. I distinctly remember my favorite games having those flaws which were by no means immersion breaking, but I would definitely notice it today. This remaster and the Wonderful 101 kind of showcase why people are interested in Nintendo making a Switch Pro.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

My expectations are not "artificially shifted", I am and was well aware of the capabilities of the Wii and Wii U's hardware.

If that's the case, then you shouldn't have been impressed by games that made significant concessions in certain aspects in order to excel at what the developers were focusing on.

Knowing a system's capabilities doesn't mean you can't be impressed when those capabilities are pushed to deliver great results.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
RolStoppable said:

Knowing a system's capabilities doesn't mean you can't be impressed when those capabilities are pushed to deliver great results.

Just because this game isn't pushing the hardware's capabilities, doesn't mean the results aren't great. Even Digital Foundary said it's a significant upgrade over the original in most areas. Stop whining just because it's not perfect. This routine is getting old.