By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - We Need to Talk About Xenoblade DE's Resolution

Tagged games:

How do you feel about 378-540p resolution in a major 2020 release?

Doesn't bother me at all. 33 52.38%

It's not great, but I'm g... 5 7.94%

I'm a little disappointed. 6 9.52%

It's a big let down. Real... 6 9.52%

This isn't acceptable for... 11 17.46%

I'm putting my Switch in the microwave. 2 3.17%

Total:63

Just want to say I wish Final Fantasy 7 Remake went this route.  Graphics on this Definitive Edition look great to me, and it actually get's extra content.  FF7 R went with cutting edge graphics, but they butcher the game so that it is about 15% of the story of the original game.  On the other hand Xenoblade is not cutting edge, but the graphics are still improved and there is extra content too.  This is the better route.  If only it happened to the game I really cared about....

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
I dunno what there is to say really... If high resolution is that important to you don't buy the game. If it isn't, then buy away.

Let's not go down that path guys. You can be both a huge Monolith fan and want more from the projects they release. I own all the Xenoblade titles and would never pass on a new release just because the visuals are a little underwhelming. The fact that someone bought the game shouldn't negate their right to point out flaws. Let's keep this positive and stay open to everyone's opinions.

Ljink96 said:
What I don't like is people having an opinion that the game's resolution needs work or the game's geometry is still kinda rough, and some textures look outdated, and for others to act like those aren't valid criticisms.

Thanks for pointing this out. I appreciate the new work done on the remake, and think a higher resolution (when possible) makes it easier to appreciate the beautiful worlds that Monolith creates.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

There are portions in Xenoblade 2's Torigoth and Tantal where the resolution drops to the infamous 300-something. If the whole game looked like that, then it'd be a true issue to me because the game in those instances looks horrifying. Fortunately, it runs fine most of the time in portable mode, looks fine on the Switch's screen.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

So basically the res will drop for a couple seconds here and there. So if they didn't publish the number nobody would have noticed or cared. The game looks gorgeous.

StuOhQ said:
JWeinCom said:
I dunno what there is to say really... If high resolution is that important to you don't buy the game. If it isn't, then buy away.

Let's not go down that path guys. You can be both a huge Monolith fan and want more from the projects they release. I own all the Xenoblade titles and would never pass on a new release just because the visuals are a little underwhelming. The fact that someone bought the game shouldn't negate their right to point out flaws. Let's keep this positive and stay open to everyone's opinions.

Ljink96 said:
What I don't like is people having an opinion that the game's resolution needs work or the game's geometry is still kinda rough, and some textures look outdated, and for others to act like those aren't valid criticisms.

Thanks for pointing this out. I appreciate the new work done on the remake, and think a higher resolution (when possible) makes it easier to appreciate the beautiful worlds that Monolith creates.

Ultimately, the only thing that's going to really make a difference is people voting with their dollars.  People are free to point out flaws, but in this case, I don't see much room for conversation because it's not really something subjective.  It's not like a game design choice where we could really have a discussion about the approach. The resolution is what it is.  I just don't personally see what can be said beyond "I'm fine with this" or "I think the resolution should be higher" which is what pretty much all the responses are.  But, if other people think there's an actual conversation to be had, I'm not stopping them.

Around the Network

I mean, what you expected? 4K 60 fps? nah... 540/20+ is the new standard!

We have a word for that, it is called a demaster, Wonderfull 101 received a great one.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

NightlyPoe said:
One big, "Meh," from me. I'm getting rather tired of having Digital Foundry numbers as the basis for internet kerfuffles instead of the minor disappointments they are. We just went through this on Wonderful 101 for some silly reason. Games are games, not a set of benchmarks. If it does take away from the experience, by all means note it like it was in Xenoblade 2. But, no, we certainly don't "Need to talk about" Xenoblade's resolution.

It'll probably get a patch soon enough either way.

And I though that patches were a tool that only the incompetent devs of AAA games used on their unfinished and unpolished games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The worst issue of low resolution, that bothers me a lot, is stairway aliasing effect.
A good aliasing solves most of low res issues for me.
From every footage Ive seen until now, no problems.

I remember the games of begining of gen 7, usually 1080p games
At the end of the gen, the games were at 640p, and looked far better.
I dint know if it is the case, but low res games can look better than high res. For now, is only a number.