By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which Star Fox game would you recommend?

+1 for the Adventures crowd here. I love that game.

Star Fox 64 for the more traditional SF experience.

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
S.Peelman said:

Really the only one to recommend, because that’s the one that’s actually great. The original is okay as well, but had been bested in every imaginable way by 64. Pick either the original release or the 3DS remake, they play virtually the same. I wouldn’t expect a new release of any kind anytime soon, the franchise isn’t as dormant as say F-Zero, but it’s not far off.

Except for the audio, and especially the soundtrack, which was a bleepy-bloopy slap in the face to fans of the excellent original.

Could be, got to have to refresh my memory on that part lol. 

Tempting to play Star Fox Adventures again lol

Adventures is a technical marvel for Gamecube and a great OST but a rushed game and an awful game. Flying sequences were clearly tacked on last minute. The final boss is awful and predictable. The Villian they portray as our big bad 90% of the game has the worst boss ..fight? Ever in a game....well those Zelda CDi games are worse I guess. Almost as easy as those tho.

The game had a real rough development. Mismanaged. Stuff was added and removed all the time and was tough to keep track of. Flying sections were a late addition.

Last edited by Leynos - on 24 May 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Lylat Wars 64 is the only game necessary in the entire franchise that needs to be played through.

Nintendo needs to make a Nintendo 64 classic with that game front and center.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

My opinion-
As far as mechanics go theres only 2 games worth playing. Star fox 64 and star fox adventures. 64 is a traditional on rails space shooter while star fox adventures is like the pre-botw 3d zeldas that takes place on a dinosaur planet. So if u can play 64, preferably on a 64 for controls sake, id recommend it. If that gets u into the fox character u can check out adventures on the gamecube. I seem to remember some decent little cut scenes in star fox 0 if u wanna youtube those. Dont care for any of the other games due to gameplay issues, but I love the universe nintendo has created and I wish theyd give it a 3rd person halo or battlefield feel. Good story , cool sci fi weapons and freely using vehicles in a single player/co op environment could be so cool w yhis ip. I also really enjoyed using fox in starlink and his missions in particular.

I completely forgot that Starfox 2 has had an official release now. That one is also good.

It shows its age a little more than the original due to the more complex gameplay, but the real time strategy elements are a really fun addition, as is being able to play different classes of Arwing.

Once again, you may need to acclimatize a bit, as you would when revisiting 3D games of the PS1/N64 era; I recommend playing the original game first for that purpose.

Y'all need to quit hating on my boy, Tricky.

d21lewis said:
Y'all need to quit hating on my boy, Tricky.

DA DE DUUM! WHERE ARE WE GOING?!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

The closest thing to a good Starfox game since 1997 is the Switch version of Starlink, and even then it's not in the same league as the first two Starfox games in terms of gameplay or soundtrack.

Still, it gave us this epic remix:

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 May 2020