Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which Star Fox game would you recommend?

Cobretti2 said:

The flight battles were too short in Adventures however the rest was an enhancement.  I wish they slapped a bigger budget on it and who know where we would have been now. Could be up there behind Zelda and Mario.

Not gonna lie, I laughed out loud.

Around the Network

Adventures has great graphics, but its a classic example of a game whose external beauty hides a rotten core.

The gameplay is like Zelda but with no understanding of what makes Zelda games good, with combat and puzzles dumbed down to the point of being complete chores. The voice acting made me want to shove a power drill through my eardrum. And what few flight sections there are may as well be glorified loading screens. 

It took a great franchise that already worked perfectly and set it on a path of undercooked, half-cocked ideas from which it still has not recovered nearly two decades later.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Adventures has great graphics, but its a classic example of a game whose external beauty hides a rotten core.

The gameplay is like Zelda but with no understanding of what makes Zelda games good, with combat and puzzles dumbed down to the point of being complete chores. The voice acting made me want to shove a power drill through my eardrum. And what few flight sections there are may as well be glorified loading screens. 

And don't get me started on Tricky.

mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

Dear god, don't get me started either. It's like they set out to make the most annoying sidekick ever.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

mZuzek said:
Cobretti2 said:

The flight battles were too short in Adventures however the rest was an enhancement.  I wish they slapped a bigger budget on it and who know where we would have been now. Could be up there behind Zelda and Mario.

Not gonna lie, I laughed out loud.

Well you can all you want, we all have different tastes.

For me elements of the game  enhance over the n64 as the game evolved. N64 was an on-rails game that took you on a automated ride. For the time yer cool, we moved on from that now. I did say the fight battles were short which was basically used in a cheap way to get between planet, this is where it lacked growth .

Was it great no, was it better than a lot of gamecube games? yes. Had the potential to be great if it was built as a Star Fox game in mind from day one with a better budget.

Around the Network

+1 for the Adventures crowd here. I love that game.

Star Fox 64 for the more traditional SF experience.

curl-6 said:
mZuzek said:

Dear god, don't get me started either. It's like they set out to make the most annoying sidekick ever.

I liked it when I got a staff that shoots fireballs, but then it didn't burn down the plant obstacle I came across. Cause I had to tell Tricky to breathe fire on it instead. Good puzzle.

COKTOE said:
S.Peelman said:

Really the only one to recommend, because that’s the one that’s actually great. The original is okay as well, but had been bested in every imaginable way by 64. Pick either the original release or the 3DS remake, they play virtually the same. I wouldn’t expect a new release of any kind anytime soon, the franchise isn’t as dormant as say F-Zero, but it’s not far off.

Except for the audio, and especially the soundtrack, which was a bleepy-bloopy slap in the face to fans of the excellent original.

Could be, got to have to refresh my memory on that part lol. 

I recommend the SNES games, Star Fox 64 and Star Fox Assault.

I didn't like the original Star Fox, but I did love Star Fox 64.
Multiplayer split screen with 3 friends was also great.

Can't say how it holds up today because I haven't played it since 1997-ish.

Last edited by Hiku - on 24 May 2020