By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which Star Fox game would you recommend?

I have to admit that I never played a Star Fox game.

In the 1990s I was more a fan of the Wing Commander series, X-Wing / TIE-Fighter and the (Conflict) Freespace series, followed by the Rogue Squadron series and FreeLancer in the 2000s.

But currently I'm playing a bit of StarLink and enjoy the Star Fox characters in that game.

So which is the best Star Fox game in your opinion? Should I dust off my 3DS XL and buy Star Fox 64 3D for it? Or do you expect a Star Fox collection (or some Star Fox ports / remasters) for Switch this or next year?

Around the Network

Yes. You should definitely give the 3DS game a try. Just know that a playthrough is super short and a lot of what made it awesome is pretty common stuff these days. It was mind-blowing on N64 and still holds up great on 3DS, though.

Star Fox 64 (or I guess the 3DS version as well) is good fun. It is a very short game. I remember getting it when it came out and a few hours later I was like oh ok I beat the game haha. Definitely the quickest I've ever beaten a game after buying it. But it's fun enough to go back through the game and keep playing it.

Really the only one to recommend, because that’s the one that’s actually great. The original is okay as well, but had been bested in every imaginable way by 64. Pick either the original release or the 3DS remake, they play virtually the same. I wouldn’t expect a new release of any kind anytime soon, the franchise isn’t as dormant as say F-Zero, but it’s not far off.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 23 May 2020

Have to agree with the crowd here. The original on SNES was fun, but 64 was basically an enhanced remake of that game and a true gem.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

Came to say what everyone has said already. We've been waiting nearly a quarter century for another Star Fox game that isn't bullshit in some way. Every game after 64 has to come with some stupid ass gameplay or gimmick that tricks the entire package off in some form or another.

Start with Star Fox 64, and then end it there after that. If you have a Wii U, you can give SF0 a try. Some people don't mind it, but most hate it for the forced Wii U GamePad integration.

The only one I have been able to play for more than a couple minutes is Star Fox 64. No other Star Fox game has captured my interest.

S.Peelman said:

Really the only one to recommend, because that’s the one that’s actually great. The original is okay as well, but had been bested in every imaginable way by 64. Pick either the original release or the 3DS remake, they play virtually the same. I wouldn’t expect a new release of any kind anytime soon, the franchise isn’t as dormant as say F-Zero, but it’s not far off.

Except for the audio, and especially the soundtrack, which was a bleepy-bloopy slap in the face to fans of the excellent original.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

64 and nothing else. SNES game was a novelty but aged badly. 64 is still fun. Panzer Dragoon is better than Star Fox tho esp Zwei but I guess we won't get that one til next year as a remake. 64 is a good game. SNES has charm but aged badly. Everything else was a mistake. Well, ok Starlink is cool.

Last edited by Leynos - on 23 May 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

64, easily.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1