By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which Star Fox game would you recommend?

JWeinCom said:
64 is the best by far, and the 3DS version is the way to play it.

Star Fox Adventures is also a good game. It's way more like a Zelda game than a Star Fox game, but it's still good for what it is.

At the risk of invoking the wrath of the community I also really enjoyed Star Fox Zero. I actually like unique control schemes, and I found this one to be interesting and work well. Because of its reputation you can buy a copy for dirt cheap, so I think it's well worth the 5-10 bucks to give it a try.

My man!

Agree with all of this. Star Fox 64 is still the gold standard, and Adventures is a fun action-adventure spin-off.

I'll also invite the wrath of the community by defending Star Fox Zero. The control scheme was tricky at first but I learned to really enjoy it. 

Finally, I'll send a shout-out to Star Fox Command, a DS title that has some interesting strategic elements mixed in with the classic "all-range" gameplay.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
JWeinCom said:
64 is the best by far, and the 3DS version is the way to play it.

Star Fox Adventures is also a good game. It's way more like a Zelda game than a Star Fox game, but it's still good for what it is.

At the risk of invoking the wrath of the community I also really enjoyed Star Fox Zero. I actually like unique control schemes, and I found this one to be interesting and work well. Because of its reputation you can buy a copy for dirt cheap, so I think it's well worth the 5-10 bucks to give it a try.

My man!

Agree with all of this. Star Fox 64 is still the gold standard, and Adventures is a fun action-adventure spin-off.

I'll also invite the wrath of the community by defending Star Fox Zero. The control scheme was tricky at first but I learned to really enjoy it. 

Finally, I'll send a shout-out to Star Fox Command, a DS title that has some interesting strategic elements mixed in with the classic "all-range" gameplay.

I couldn't get into the bite size missions of assault.  It feels like Star Fox 2 which I didn't like either...

I think in general games that have a unique control scheme are frowned upon.  Kid Icarus Uprising and Wonderful 101 come to mind.

The first two, all the games after that are rubbish sadly.

Just personally, I actually think the SNES original is still the best game in the series. 64 is great, but the SNES game has the better soundtrack and higher stakes as your teammates actually die instead of just going in for repairs, and their kills count towards your tally, giving you more incentive to protect them.

Yes, it's a game that needs to be seen in the context of its time period, but I don't think it has aged any worse than a lot of other early 3D classics like Ocarina of Time or Banjo Kazooie.

d21lewis said:
Dulfite said:
Starfox Adventures baby! My favorite one of the bunch. Come at me!

Forgot about that one but it's actually pretty great. Beautiful production values. Only "bad" when compared to Zelda.

I hated Adventures, even at the time. Ridiculously easy combat that was the ultimate example of that era - multiple enemies surround you, but they play by gentleman's rules and wait their turn while one fights you at a time. Puzzles were designed by Fisher Price. One of the trials near the end of the game had another cardinal sin of old gaming, a "Pump a button as hard as you can, and if you have any sort of arthritic issue or coordination handicap in your hands, then you can't win" part that was required to advance. Arwing sections during loading screens just to tease you before Star Fox Assault existed. Prince Tricky, aka Danny Devito. Andross pulls a Ganon and hijacks the plot. Krystal, the most egregious furry bait this side of that one kong with the boobz.

Between this and Sticker Star, I'm glad everyone at Nintendo had to stop going through Miyamoto for everything.

curl-6 said:

The first two, all the games after that are rubbish sadly.

Just personally, I actually think the SNES original is still the best game in the series. 64 is great, but the SNES game has the better soundtrack and higher stakes as your teammates actually die instead of just going in for repairs, and their kills count towards your tally, giving you more incentive to protect them.

Yes, it's a game that needs to be seen in the context of its time period, but I don't think it has aged any worse than a lot of other early 3D classics like Ocarina of Time or Banjo Kazooie.

I really agree with you on the "great for it's time" thing. And basically, how it's aged well in general. I still have more fond memories of the SNES SF. I played the hell out of both, but enjoyed the original more. It took a while longer for me to appreciate SF64, and even then, I didn't like it quite as much.......It's hard for me to put this into words... Any complaints I might have with the SNES SF relate to it's performance, which admittedly, does have some impact on the gameplay, but those complaints are only in retrospect. At it's core I think it's a great game, but can see how it can be viewed as something of an archaic experiment in 3D gameplay by those who never had the chance to play it during the time it released.

Things get so muddy when comparing franchise entries that span multiple generations, even if one can draw upon memories of the experiences as they actually happened. It's the reason why the annual Greatest Games threads here on VGC drives me nuts.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
Starfox Adventures baby! My favorite one of the bunch. Come at me!

100% agree.

The next evolution of Star FOx should have been Adventures X N64 with more freedom to fly like say in freelancer back in the day.

The flight battles were too short in Adventures however the rest was an enhancement.  I wish they slapped a bigger budget on it and who know where we would have been now. Could be up there behind Zelda and Mario.

Go with Lylat Wars.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Adventures has great graphics, but its a classic example of a game whose external beauty hides a rotten core.

The gameplay is like Zelda but with no understanding of what makes Zelda games good, with combat and puzzles dumbed down to the point of being complete chores. The voice acting made me want to shove a power drill through my eardrum. And what few flight sections there are may as well be glorified loading screens. 

It took a great franchise that already worked perfectly and set it on a path of undercooked, half-cocked ideas from which it still has not recovered nearly two decades later.

mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

Adventures has great graphics, but its a classic example of a game whose external beauty hides a rotten core.

The gameplay is like Zelda but with no understanding of what makes Zelda games good, with combat and puzzles dumbed down to the point of being complete chores. The voice acting made me want to shove a power drill through my eardrum. And what few flight sections there are may as well be glorified loading screens. 

And don't get me started on Tricky.

Dear god, don't get me started either. It's like they set out to make the most annoying sidekick ever.

mZuzek said:
Cobretti2 said:

The flight battles were too short in Adventures however the rest was an enhancement.  I wish they slapped a bigger budget on it and who know where we would have been now. Could be up there behind Zelda and Mario.

Not gonna lie, I laughed out loud.

Well you can all you want, we all have different tastes.

For me elements of the game  enhance over the n64 as the game evolved. N64 was an on-rails game that took you on a automated ride. For the time yer cool, we moved on from that now. I did say the fight battles were short which was basically used in a cheap way to get between planet, this is where it lacked growth .

Was it great no, was it better than a lot of gamecube games? yes. Had the potential to be great if it was built as a Star Fox game in mind from day one with a better budget.