By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can we talk about The Wonderful 101 laughable Demaster?

This really pushes the boundaries of the acceptable usage of the term "remaster". I'm with the OP. And I can understand his disappointment. He lays out his case rather well, and the whole thing seems pretty black and white.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

Yeah I saw that video earlier. They've done a pretty pathetic job. It's not a remaster at all, just some (extremely lazy) ports.
Switch version looks horrible even at 1080p. 720p with a proper AA solution would've worked better.

PS4 Pro at 1080p is also a fucking joke.

Last edited by Barozi - on 17 May 2020

Since I'll be getting the PS4 Pro version, I'm really quite content with the port. I agree that it shouldn't be called a remaster and they should have done a better job optimising it for Pro and Switch but ultimately I'm just happy to see this kind of game get a release on modern consoles. 

Ultimately a game experiences boil down to more than these tech reviews.

It's on modern hardware. All I care about and not stuck on Wii U. I still have a Steam code I want to give someone but I'm waiting to find the right person who would appreciate it and has never played it.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Okay I can see how the word Remaster is kind of like false advertisement here since these are really just ports and nothing more. But wishing for the commercial failure is still a little bit overreacting, isn't it. I guess I just don't understand the outrage. Maybe I shouldn't have entered the thread.

Around the Network

Aside from the use of the term remaster, I don't recall anything they said which would have lead one to expect a significant graphical overhaul. It's also being sold at $40, which is a bit cheaper than most "remasters" from that era IIRC.

So, I'd agree that they would have used another word in the title, but on the whole, anyone who does even a slight amount of research will be getting what they expect, so I'm not seeing a problem in that regard.

Like, taking myself as an example, I loved the game on Wii U, and I might have purchased it again if it had significant upgrades.  I had more than enough information to determine that it didn't have enough new content to warrant purchasing again.  Since I had enough info to make an informed decision, I don't really see the harm done by using the wrong term.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 17 May 2020

There are people in this thread saying this isn't a big deal, and I think that's true in the grand scheme of things as it doesn't appear to ruin the game itself other than being a minor inconvenience compared to the original version. That being said, the whole way they've handled this port has been awful, from running a kickstarter campaign that they themselves admitted to not actually needing at all (The game was complete and they basically said it was just used as a marketing campaign even though people actually had to donate money to make it happen...) and being generally unclear on all aspects of it. On top of that they provided no control scheme alternative to the Wii U Gamepad, meaning there is no easy way to control this game when they could have retooled the controls at least somewhat.

I don't necessarily wish commercial failure on this or anything but I sincerely hope they realize that they need to put their full effort into products in the future. I like Platinum quite a bit and do buy most of their releases, but I can't support this.

JWeinCom said:

Aside from the use of the term remaster, I don't recall anything they said which would have lead one to expect a significant graphical overhaul. It's also being sold at $40, which is a bit cheaper than most "remasters" from that era IIRC.

So, I'd agree that they would have used another word in the title, but on the whole, anyone who does even a slight amount of research will be getting what they expect, so I'm not seeing a problem in that regard.

Like, taking myself as an example, I loved the game on Wii U, and I might have purchased it again if it had significant upgrades.  I had more than enough information to determine that it didn't have enough new content to warrant purchasing again.  Since I had enough info to make an informed decision, I don't really see the harm done by using the wrong term.

Not really. Many remasters were cheaper than $60 and included all DLCs for the game. Some others were part of a collection and therefore a little more pricey.

$40 for a lazy port of a single game that doesn't include any DLC (because there wasn't any as far as I could find) is pretty poor. But hey, by spending that amount of money you're elegible to buy the upcoming DLCs from the Kickstarter stretch goals.

So much for all the defending given to Platinum over the years.
At least I wasn't wanting to buy this game. It is worse than just a port. The name demastering is good for it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Maybe they will fix it through a patch. I do think they would have added a performance mode on the switch that lowers the res while docked to 720p and have it be 60fps assuming the gpu is the bottleneck.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850