By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series X's cross-gen approach is robbing players of the next-gen thrill

goopy20 said:
Conina said:

And for the 100th time: MS cross-gen strategy is only for a limited time window. That strategy will probably already over and forgotten when the first AAA games "built by ground up" with Nanite and Lumen in mind will be released.

UE5 ain't available for developers yet, and developing AAA games takes years.

And ain't it a bit hasty to assume that Sony already has "their own Nanite-like tech" and that they had that soooo much earlier than Epic Games that they can reveal a lot of "true next-gen" games with that feature which you expect for launch or next year?

That we don't know yet and we'll probably see a couple of weeks from now when Sony does their official reveal. It would be kinda weird if Sony's 1st party studios don't have similar tech as Nanite before Epic does. Cerny has been making rounds among developers for years that basically shaped the whole ps5's SSD centric design. Don't you think his first stop would have been their own studios? 

I have no doubt Sony will demonstrate actual ps5 exclusives using similar tech during their reveal.

eva01beserk said:

Good thing is not the only engine that exist. Who is to say the games coming in that time window dont already use tech as good or even better than UE5. XSX wont use it anyways out of pure principal.

So Sony helps Epic Games promoting their new UE5 engine and the new Nanite and Lumen features although they have something similar much longer?

How humble of Sony letting Epic Games take the credit! I'm impressed!

Around the Network
Conina said:
goopy20 said:

That we don't know yet and we'll probably see a couple of weeks from now when Sony does their official reveal. It would be kinda weird if Sony's 1st party studios don't have similar tech as Nanite before Epic does. Cerny has been making rounds among developers for years that basically shaped the whole ps5's SSD centric design. Don't you think his first stop would have been their own studios? 

I have no doubt Sony will demonstrate actual ps5 exclusives using similar tech during their reveal.

eva01beserk said:

Good thing is not the only engine that exist. Who is to say the games coming in that time window dont already use tech as good or even better than UE5. XSX wont use it anyways out of pure principal.

So Sony helps Epic Games promoting their new UE5 engine and the new Nanite and Lumen features although they have something similar much longer?

How humble of Sony letting Epic Games take the credit! I'm impressed!

Do you believe all of sonys IP's will run on UE5? This is no more than pr to say epic are on board.

Do you think sony and ms are humble when they let amd take the credit for the apus? or is it safe to asume that while they contributed, AMD did most of the heavy lifting?

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Conina said:
goopy20 said:

Like I said a 100 times, they aren't just effects. I think you should just try a bit harder to grasp what Epic actually demonstrated with that tech demo, instead of saying its just has some more rocks. Its a fundamental change in how games can be developed by levering next gen storage, allowing developers to spend less time working around technical limitations and focus more on worldbuilding, gameplay and adding content to their games. 

Unlike gpu bound games we've seen in the past, SSD specific tech like Nanite isn't scalable. Developers either use it, or they don't. If they're making a cross-gen game, they'll still have to jump through hoops and spend a ton of time making sacrifices in order to make it work on the Xone/ps4. Basically defeating its whole purpose. 

Yes, in theory Series X also can also take full advantage of Nanite, but its not the hardware that's the problem. My personal issue has more to do with MS's cross-gen strategy that's holding their 1st party games back from using things like Nanite from the get go. MS wants everybody to be able play their games on GP and it seems like they'll be playing the waiting game. They're not going to release AAA budget games when only 1% of the pc gamers have a pc that can run it. They'll wait till Series X like hardware becomes mainstream on pc, while in the mean time they're focused on making cross-gen, and small scale games to fill the GP library.

It's not bad perse and if you're fine with waiting a bit for true next games, then who am I to argue? A couple of years in, its not going to matter anymore anyway, as the average gaming pc will have caught up with these next gen consoles. By then, I'm sure we'll see amazing looking games on Series X, even though the next gen wow factor will have diminished by then. But in the here and now, it does rob us of that next-gen thrill. You can bet your ass Sony will be showing games during their reveal that will be build around their own Nanite-like tech. Which is why Sony's reveal will very likely be a lot more exciting than MS's showcases of "smart delivery" games.   

And for the 100th time: MS cross-gen strategy is only for a limited time window. That strategy will probably already over and forgotten when the first AAA games "built by ground up" with Nanite and Lumen in mind will be released.

And ain't it a bit hasty to assume that Sony already has "their own Nanite-like tech" and that they had that soooo much earlier than Epic Games that they can reveal a lot of "true next-gen" games with that feature which you expect for launch or next year?

When Sony is the one that defined the HW and capabilities then I'm pretty much sure their engines will have Nanite and Lumen type of technology in mind even before UE5 release for devs.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Conina said:

When Sony is the one that defined the HW and capabilities then I'm pretty much sure their engines will have Nanite and Lumen type of technology in mind even before UE5 release for devs.

Not sure why you would believe that.  Lumen and Nanite are features of UE5 and I doubt that Epic was handing over that tech to Sony just because they used their hardware to demonstrate the engine.  I am sure Sony developers will have tech that take advantage of the PS5 but who knows if they were working on the same concepts.  There can be many different solutions to solve a particular problem.  Sony devs could have something better or worse or nothing at all at this time, there is no telling until we actually see something.  

On another note, building a new engine and then using it to produce games takes a long time.  Since we have no ideal how long Sony has worked on any new engine for their first party games it could be years before we see any results.  The advantage Epic has is that they are not making an engine and a game at the same time so they can concentrate 100% on their engine which is something they excel at.

Machiavellian said:
DonFerrari said:

Not sure why you would believe that.  Lumen and Nanite are features of UE5 and I doubt that Epic was handing over that tech to Sony just because they used their hardware to demonstrate the engine.  I am sure Sony developers will have tech that take advantage of the PS5 but who knows if they were working on the same concepts.  There can be many different solutions to solve a particular problem.  Sony devs could have something better or worse or nothing at all at this time, there is no telling until we actually see something.  

On another note, building a new engine and then using it to produce games takes a long time.  Since we have no ideal how long Sony has worked on any new engine for their first party games it could be years before we see any results.  The advantage Epic has is that they are not making an engine and a game at the same time so they can concentrate 100% on their engine which is something they excel at.

Sony will have some RT elements on their engine (the lumen like as I said) and will take advantage of the SSD speed and I/O (the nanite like as I said). So the games Sony is developing for PS5 and the engine created for it will certainly put a good show on both aspects even before UE5 is released.

Sony developers hardly use UE5 so to expect they won't take advantage of their own HW is wrong.

Sony have know the HW they are working on for longer than Unreal, so their engine could be on the work for several years already.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Machiavellian said:

Sony will have some RT elements on their engine (the lumen like as I said) and will take advantage of the SSD speed and I/O (the nanite like as I said). So the games Sony is developing for PS5 and the engine created for it will certainly put a good show on both aspects even before UE5 is released.

Sony developers hardly use UE5 so to expect they won't take advantage of their own HW is wrong.

Sony have know the HW they are working on for longer than Unreal, so their engine could be on the work for several years already.

I am not saying anything about Sony devs using UE, I am saying you expect them to have the same tech which is incorrect.  We have no clue how Sony Devs solve the same problems that Epic addressed in their demo or even if Sony devs thought up the same techniques.  The only thing the PS5 has that Sony has promoted is the SSD.  For all you know this was the main focus of Sony devs not a new lighting engine or even the Nanite system.

We have no clue if Sony devs were even looking in the same direction as Epic engineers as development doesn't work that way.  Your main statement stated that Sony devs will have Lumen and Nanite tech but we have no clue what they will have or even if they will have something equivalent.  It may be something totally different, new or nothing at all.  UE5 is not a PS5 game engine, its a PS5, PC, Xbox, Mobile game engine and Epic has probably been working on its system way before there was a PS5 in development.  Its not like SSDs have not been on the market way before the PS5 and its not like the roadmap for PC SSD tech already shows some really fast drives will be coming out before the PS5.

As I stated, I highly doubt Epic shared what they were doing with UE5 because they would love to sell the engine to Sony Devs just as much as they do with MS.

Machiavellian said:
DonFerrari said:

I am not saying anything about Sony devs using UE, I am saying you expect them to have the same tech which is incorrect.  We have no clue how Sony Devs solve the same problems that Epic addressed in their demo or even if Sony devs thought up the same techniques.  The only thing the PS5 has that Sony has promoted is the SSD.  For all you know this was the main focus of Sony devs not a new lighting engine or even the Nanite system.

We have no clue if Sony devs were even looking in the same direction as Epic engineers as development doesn't work that way.  Your main statement stated that Sony devs will have Lumen and Nanite tech but we have no clue what they will have or even if they will have something equivalent.  It may be something totally different, new or nothing at all.  UE5 is not a PS5 game engine, its a PS5, PC, Xbox, Mobile game engine and Epic has probably been working on its system way before there was a PS5 in development.  Its not like SSDs have not been on the market way before the PS5 and its not like the roadmap for PC SSD tech already shows some really fast drives will be coming out before the PS5.

As I stated, I highly doubt Epic shared what they were doing with UE5 because they would love to sell the engine to Sony Devs just as much as they do with MS.

Sony practically designed the whole ps5 around their SSD. Epic then shows that UE5's main feature is specifically designed with next gen SSD's in mind, yet you expect Sony's first party developers to not do the same thing with their own engines? That doesn't make sense.

Sony's been talking for ages about what their SSD is supposed to do; "to create richer scenes with more objects, more refined objects and more detailed textures than are seen on current-gen consoles". The Unreal 5 demo was just the first time we got to see what that means in practice. The only thing that surprises me is that Cerny didn't show something similar in that ps5 deep dive conference. 

Last edited by goopy20 - on 21 May 2020

Machiavellian said:
DonFerrari said:

Then you misunderstood. When the other user and I said "nanite like" and "lumen like" we are talking about doing similar solution to similar problem not that it will be the same solution.

Sony included RTX parts on the chip, audio tempest, I/O and SSD among other unique or special features on their console compared to PS4. So they were already thinking about the problems that Nanite and Lumen are trying to solve. To claim they are only thinking about SSD would be wrong.

No my claim is that they will have "lumen and nanite like" tech.

PS5 have been in development for like 5 years, even the BC part of the system was in the work for over a year (see Cerny presentation) so probably longer than the time UE5 have been in development. And from the time Sony set a roadmap to the features on the console they as well would be looking for engines and being focused on their console instead of the whole market you can be sure it will take more on the issues Sony see than what UE5 will since it also have to worry about other systems.

PCs haven't used the SSD as baseline even though it exists there for over a decade.

Considering MS recent bought team already had access to some of the UE5 features Sony also had. But sure Sony won't use the same as they don't need. Why use multiplatform tool to develop to a single closed system?

goopy20 said:
Machiavellian said:

Sony practically designed the whole ps5 around their SSD. Epic shows that their Unreal 5 engine's main feature is specifically designed with next gen SSD's in mind, yet you expect Sony's first party developers to not do the same thing with their own engines? That doesn't make sense.

Sony's been talking for ages about what their SSD is supposed to do; "to create richer scenes with more objects, more refined objects and more detailed textures than are seen on current-gen consoles". The Unreal 5 demo was just the first time we got to see what that means in practice. The only thing that surprises me is that Cerny didn't show something similar in that deep dive GDC stream. 

The reason it doesn't make sense to you is that you probably never developed code on that type of level before.  All engine developers are not the same and how they tackle a problem also may be totally different.  Sony SSD is not needed for UE5, especially for Lumen and Nanite.  

As far as Sony SSD, what does that have to do with the 2 technologies Epic shared with their demo.  What makes you believe Epic and Sony were working in parallel on engine development.  You guys are way to hung up on the SSD.  I am saying Lumen and Nanite are Epic's tech,there is absolutely no guarantee that those same technology or even equivalent will be with any graphics engine Sony make.  Sony Devs could be making something totally different that tackle the same problem or they may use existing tech and not do anything on the order of Lumen and Nanite.  You really have no clue until we see their First party games.

The reason Cerny did not show anything is pretty easy, they probably do not have anything ready to show.  Believing that Sony will magically have the same tech as Epic seems crazy to me.  Epic showed what their engine can do, the PS5 just happens to be the hardware showed.  None of that means Sony is developing the exact same tech or even the same design.

Machiavellian said:
goopy20 said:

Sony practically designed the whole ps5 around their SSD. Epic shows that their Unreal 5 engine's main feature is specifically designed with next gen SSD's in mind, yet you expect Sony's first party developers to not do the same thing with their own engines? That doesn't make sense.

Sony's been talking for ages about what their SSD is supposed to do; "to create richer scenes with more objects, more refined objects and more detailed textures than are seen on current-gen consoles". The Unreal 5 demo was just the first time we got to see what that means in practice. The only thing that surprises me is that Cerny didn't show something similar in that deep dive GDC stream. 

The reason it doesn't make sense to you is that you probably never developed code on that type of level before.  All engine developers are not the same and how they tackle a problem also may be totally different.  Sony SSD is not needed for UE5, especially for Lumen and Nanite.  

As far as Sony SSD, what does that have to do with the 2 technologies Epic shared with their demo.  What makes you believe Epic and Sony were working in parallel on engine development.  You guys are way to hung up on the SSD.  I am saying Lumen and Nanite are Epic's tech,there is absolutely no guarantee that those same technology or even equivalent will be with any graphics engine Sony make.  Sony Devs could be making something totally different that tackle the same problem or they may use existing tech and not do anything on the order of Lumen and Nanite.  You really have no clue until we see their First party games.

The reason Cerny did not show anything is pretty easy, they probably do not have anything ready to show.  Believing that Sony will magically have the same tech as Epic seems crazy to me.  Epic showed what their engine can do, the PS5 just happens to be the hardware showed.  None of that means Sony is developing the exact same tech or even the same design.

Yes totally trusthworthy, Sony will launch PS5 without having anything to show.