By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - July 17th faceoff; which will sell more, Ghost of Tsushima or Paper Mario: The Origami King?

Which will sell more?

Ghost of Tsushima 50 47.62%

Paper Mario 55 52.38%

Total:105

On July 17th, two high profile exclusives will launch that could hardly be more different; Ghost of Tsushima on PS4, and Paper Mario: The Origami King on Switch.

Which do you think will sell more lifetime?

Paper Mario has the power of an established brand behind it, but games like Horizon Zero Dawn has shown that being a new IP doesn't mean a game can't go on to be a massive success, and GoT has a lot of hype behind it.

EDIT: Only talking about the original July 17th release of both games, not including any possible re-releases on future systems.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 16 May 2020

Around the Network

GOT. I feel like there will dissapointments after TLOU2 so PS4 users will be hungry for the next big game.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Paper Mario will more than likely sell more but GOT will be the much better game.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Deffo GoT ps4 could use more content
while switch users play the emulator of the OG paper mario

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

GoT will get a papercut and then folded away by the origami king.

To elaborate: FW GoT will probably win, but Mario has the much longer legs (or ARMS, going by the trailer) and will win out in the end.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 15 May 2020

Around the Network

I would say Paper Mario, assuming we're discounting the possibility of a PS5 port. Gotta go with the established franchise, especially since it's launching at a better time in relation to its platform. Switch is doing well, and still riding on the momentum of Animal Crossing while Sony is shifting into PS5 mode.

I'm going to say Ghost of Tsushima, although I think both will do very well. With Paper Mario, I expect 4-8 million, with 5-6 being the most likely area. With Ghost of Tsushima, I expect 5-10 million, with 6-8 being the most likely.

Well Animal Crossing did beat Doom

I have no idea how much other paper mario have sold in the past and recently most nintendo IPs are selling much better than on previous gen. New IPs don't always do well but Sony new IPs have been doing great mostly. So it is really hard to know.
I'll just say that I'm looking forward to GoT and paper mario did never really caught my atention even though I saw friend playing it a few times.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I think Ghost may edge it by a million or so.
Expecting 5 million for Ghost and around 4 million for Paper Mario which would be excellent for each game.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"