By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - July 17th faceoff; which will sell more, Ghost of Tsushima or Paper Mario: The Origami King?

Which will sell more?

Ghost of Tsushima 50 47.62%

Paper Mario 55 52.38%

Total:105
newwil7l said:
Surprised this poll is close. The views for the Paper Mario trailer are far ahead of GoT.

I was surprised as well on the balance of the voting. When I voted it was like 40% GoT and 60% PM.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I think GoT won't be the hit we excpected when it was revealed at E3 2018. I guess it has a shot outselling Sekiro (which sits at ~4m combined) but I'm sure that PM is going to reach 5m at least. 

It would be a whole other story if we knew that GoT would be re-released on PS5. Though I'd still give PM a slight edge.

village boy learns to jump.

Mnementh said:

Ghosts of Tsushima probably will be more frontloaded, so expect it to win first week. But Ghost also could get a Definitive port on PS5, which would give the game a second wind and propels it ahead. 

That's a good point and one I hadn't considered. For the record, this is only talking about the PS4 release.

It's name is Tsushima
It's got a black belt in karate
Working hard for Sony
It's got to discipline it's body

Cause they know that it's demanding
To defeat those evil paper things
I know it can beat them
Oh Tsushima they don't believe me
But you won't let those papers cut me
Tsushima they don't believe me
But you won't let those papers defeat me
Tsushima

Think of this to the following tune:

Interesting results

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today%201-m&q=ghost%20of%20tsushima,paper%20mario

Around the Network
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Interesting results

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today%201-m&q=ghost%20of%20tsushima,paper%20mario

I would not say that is interesting so much as expected.  Paper Mario was just announced, and a good number of people are thirsty for info.  Ghost however we have known about for quite some time, and many people (including myself) are already sold on the game and are just waiting for its release.

So I would say this does little to show favor one way or the other TBH.  In fact, I would go as far as to say that it would be more interesting if GoT search rates were equal to or greater than PM.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Interesting results

I would not say that is interesting so much as expected.  Paper Mario was just announced, and a good number of people are thirsty for info.  Ghost however we have known about for quite some time, and many people (including myself) are already sold on the game and are just waiting for its release.

So I would say this does little to show favor one way or the other TBH.  In fact, I would go as far as to say that it would be more interesting if GoT search rates were equal to or greater than PM.

What interested me was that Paper Mario was popular in North America and the samurai game wers popular in other areas.
After all, few people have ever heard the name Tsushima. Everyone knows the Mongolian Empire.

Paper Mario and it won’t even be close lol.

Giving me Death Stranding/Luigi’s Mansion 3 flash backs.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Shiken said:

What interested me was that Paper Mario was popular in North America and the samurai game wers popular in other areas.
After all, few people have ever heard the name Tsushima. Everyone knows the Mongolian Empire.

Good point.  Additionally, Paper Mario got started on the N64 which had more relative popularity in North America compared to other regions.

I think Ghost of Tsushima will take this; it seems to have more hype behind it, while the Nintendo fanbase seems lukewarm and indecisive towards Origami King. The Switch boost should apply and I expect PMOK will still go on to be the best selling Paper Mario game to date, but the series has never been huge and I expect it'll do less than 6 million lifetime, while I think Tsushima can exceed that.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

After all, few people have ever heard the name Tsushima. 

I had; pivotal pre-dreadnaught battleship engagement in 1905 where Japan crushed Russia, strongly influencing the future course of naval warfare doctrine. :p