By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unreal 5 Demo vs Series X Reveal

Which event got you more impressed?

Xbox Series X Gameplay Event 25 27.17%

Unreal Engine 5 PS5 Demo 67 72.83%

Total:92
taus90 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

How in the world could you of all people have been remotely impressed by that demo, you who have been preaching for months about how Microsoft's continuing to support Xbone would ruin their next gen games and have them offer nothing new outside of graphics. That tech demo was literally a current gen game with effects turned way up, right down to the whole "squeeze through this corridor" sequence next gen was supposed to get rid of with SSD's. Plus it's 30 frames per second and 1440p. With nothing much at all happening in the game for the hardware to handle. There were some birds or bats flying around in a scripted sequence.

Your second paragraph makes no sense. This is an engine. Of course it can scale lol

edit, apparently it was a scaling resolution and went lower than 1440p, that was simply the max.

I dont know about you but the closeups of rocks and realtime GI and bounce light with high quality shadow is just not possible in current gen and this demo is an early proof concept, no more baking of any sorts, its just going to get better from here. But the most important thing this demo showcases is how the next gen hardware will revolutionize game development, its really difficult to explain, The concept of polygon budget, Normal Maps, Lod's are all made redundant. A current gen polygon budget for a AAA is between 20m to 25m (just an estimate)

This demo showcased around 25b triangle just in one scene along with 8k texture, realtime GI with bounce lightning, importing high quality zbrush models without any modification.. tell this to any developer working on current gen games, they will just wet their pants.

I’m not disagreeing that it was an impressive tech demo but I also understand that’s all it was is a tech demo. 

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
DonFerrari said:

On the regard of the UE5 running as well on XSX most of the titles show on the XSX reveal also would be running well on PS5. So it is more like have the marketing moved to one side or another on these 2 events?

The XSX didn't due much for me either in that regard because they were multiplatform games.

Same principle applies.  Unless either side is showing something that is exclusive or at least is somehow better on their system, I don't see why it would sway my decision.  But I think there may have been a couple of exclusives on there (Scarlett whatever might be I think?) so I guess maybe they get points for that.

I can see why people may be more hyped for the next generation in general based on the presentation.  But anyone who is claiming that either of those presentations really made a difference probably had already made up their minds anyway.

Yes I agree with you in all aspects. The main problem on the MS presentation wasn't that most were multiplats, but that they were mostly underwhelming.

The point of the thread was just to contrast that the GDC video was met with "Sony is doomed", "they are losing mindshare", "their marketing is poor", etc. But so far, the logo reveal, the control reveal, the GDC video and this one have all been met with much more reaction and attention to PS5 than anything MS was able to do.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Well UE5 was way more impressive, however, it's a tech demo. UE4 tech demos also looked very impressive (7 years ago), and not many games achieved this level of fidelity since then. Remember PS3 tech demos? Also, the UE5 is not going to be available until next year. MS, on the other hand, showed actual games, so of course it's less impressive, but more important.

Unreal Engine 4 tech demo (2013)

PS4 version

Unreal Engine 3 tech demo (2011)

PS3 tech demo (2005)

Last edited by Kristof81 - on 14 May 2020

Kristof81 said:

Well UE5 was way more impressive, however, it's a tech demo. UE4 tech demos also looked very impressive (7 years ago), and not many games achieved this level of fidelity since then. Remember PS3 tech demos? Also, the UE5 is not going to be available until next year. MS, on the other hand, showed actual games, so of course it's less impressive, but more important.

PS3 tech demo (2005)

Maybe ask digital foundry as they claim the opposite. They say devs flew over and beyond what the tech demo showed. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

UE 5 demo look great and next generation...but this engine is going to work in XSX. The Coalition (Gears of War developers) are really good in UE use.
XSX show has real games, some very interesting , even if they are crossgen.
PS5 show no games until now. So we have to wait until Sony reveal Console and games.

Sorry for my bad english.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
Kristof81 said:

Maybe ask digital foundry as they claim the opposite. They say devs flew over and beyond what the tech demo showed. 

Of course. All I'm saying that we're most likely not going to see games like that in the first two or even three years from now on the next gen consoles. Saying that I hope I'm wrong, but I'm also pragmatic when it comes to stuff like that. To overpromise and underdeliver is what the gaming industry is known for.  

eva01beserk said:
Kristof81 said:

PS3 tech demo (2005)

Well we are on a time where official information, open comments and props for the system aren't credible, but unreliable rumors are credible.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
eva01beserk said:

Well we are on a time where official information, open comments and props for the system aren't credible, but unreliable rumors are credible.

What a great time to be alive. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

While I enjoyed the UE5 tech demo, and its a good show case of the engine, it did not move the needle on which console I am looking forward to on release. The only thing that will do that is good old exclusives from both companies and hopefully some nice detailed gameplay videos. Tech Demos are nice showcase of features but as we all know they are not games and this one lacked a lot of what I would be looking for. Only one character in a environment which I would say doesn't have a lot of interactive elements. Usually for demos like this you can go crazy on detail which they did. It would have been best if we could see an actual game being created by Epic with this tech to get a good graps on what is more realistic. Anyway, in about 2 to 3 years we should be able to see the fruit of both MS and Sony efforts which hopefully will realize all parts of this demo with more complex game logic, AI, Physics, characters you name it.

LudicrousSpeed said:
goopy20 said:
Sony obviously did a much better job getting people fired up for next gen. Sure, it was just a tech demo but it did look like it could be an actual game specifically designed to take advantage of the ps5's hardware and it was fully playable. Even my grandma can take one look at that demo and tell it's a big leap from anything we're seeing today. It didn't need stickers like "optimized for Series X" or 4k and 120fps. The demo was build from the ground up to push the ps5 to its limits at 30fps and 1440p and that's how we're seeing that kind of leap.

Of course, they can probably get the exact same demo running on Series X if they wanted to. The problem, however, is that MS doesn't seem to be going for pushing next gen visuals, Instead, they are way more focused on multiplatform/ smart delivery graphics that'll scale up and down their family of devices. So the question isn't really if that tech demo would run on Series X, the question is if they could still do it if it also had to run on Xbox One and the average gaming pc?

How in the world could you of all people have been remotely impressed by that demo, you who have been preaching for months about how Microsoft's continuing to support Xbone would ruin their next gen games and have them offer nothing new outside of graphics. That tech demo was literally a current gen game with effects turned way up, right down to the whole "squeeze through this corridor" sequence next gen was supposed to get rid of with SSD's. Plus it's 30 frames per second and 1440p. With nothing much at all happening in the game for the hardware to handle. There were some birds or bats flying around in a scripted sequence.

Your second paragraph makes no sense. This is an engine. Of course it can scale lol

edit, apparently it was a scaling resolution and went lower than 1440p, that was simply the max.

I never said I had a problem with just better graphics. I mean isn't more immersion the whole point of next gen consoles? Having the same graphics we're seeing now but in native 4k and 60fps is a different story, though. That's the difference with that Unreal demo and Series X's first look at next gen games. One is build specifically to push and showcase the ps5 capabilities at 30fps/ 1440p (what I've been saying for months should be the standard next gen), while MS only showed current gen graphics that scale to 4k/ 60fps on Series X. 

Now I'm sure the tech demo could run on Series X as well, but only if it was designed exclusively to push Series X to its limits and not if it also had to run on Xone. My whole issue with MS's strategy is that pushing the Series X's hardware isn't their main goal. Instead, they're going with a cross gen (smart delivery) strategy and want to reach as broad an audience as possible. Maybe I'm totally wrong and MS will surprise me in July, but I highly doubt it as they've been pretty open about their vision for next gen. I'm guessing we'll be seeing a lot of "optimized for Series X" logos during their 1st party showcase that will look nowhere close to that unreal tech demo. I'm also guessing Sony will have games that are designed to push next gen visuals with a much higher wow factor, not because Sony has the better hardware or better studios, it's simply because they have different strategies. And for anyone interested in next gen visuals, MS's approach kinda sucks.

Last edited by goopy20 - on 14 May 2020