By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unreal 5 Demo vs Series X Reveal

Which event got you more impressed?

Xbox Series X Gameplay Event 25 27.17%

Unreal Engine 5 PS5 Demo 67 72.83%

Total:92
goopy20 said:
Sony obviously did a much better job getting people fired up for next gen. Sure, it was just a tech demo but it did look like it could be an actual game specifically designed to take advantage of the ps5's hardware and it was fully playable. Even my grandma can take one look at that demo and tell it's a big leap from anything we're seeing today. It didn't need stickers like "optimized for Series X" or 4k and 120fps. The demo was build from the ground up to push the ps5 to its limits at 30fps and 1440p and that's how we're seeing that kind of leap.

Of course, they can probably get the exact same demo running on Series X if they wanted to. The problem, however, is that MS doesn't seem to be going for pushing next gen visuals, Instead, they are way more focused on multiplatform/ smart delivery graphics that'll scale up and down their family of devices. So the question isn't really if that tech demo would run on Series X, the question is if they could still do it if it also had to run on Xbox One and the average gaming pc?

How in the world could you of all people have been remotely impressed by that demo, you who have been preaching for months about how Microsoft's continuing to support Xbone would ruin their next gen games and have them offer nothing new outside of graphics. That tech demo was literally a current gen game with effects turned way up, right down to the whole "squeeze through this corridor" sequence next gen was supposed to get rid of with SSD's. Plus it's 30 frames per second and 1440p. With nothing much at all happening in the game for the hardware to handle. There were some birds or bats flying around in a scripted sequence.

Your second paragraph makes no sense. This is an engine. Of course it can scale lol

edit, apparently it was a scaling resolution and went lower than 1440p, that was simply the max.

Last edited by LudicrousSpeed - on 14 May 2020

Around the Network
Leynos said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_Memory

The only source there is one of those Playstation fansites I referenced. Not saying you're wrong, but I haven't seen that news anywhere else.

I don't know, I like to know what games I will actually be playing on a new console. Despite not showing much gameplay, at least Microsoft sat down and said: "We have this new game that is about that and that and this other new game that is about this and this". Meanwhile, Sony paid Epic Games to show their UE5 tech demo under the name of PS5, despite the fact that said demo will probably, most likely, run and look better on XSX (and obviously PC). What Epic shown was impressive, but more than make me excited by PS5, it made me excited for how much better the XSX will handle games in general.

LudicrousSpeed said:
goopy20 said:
Sony obviously did a much better job getting people fired up for next gen. Sure, it was just a tech demo but it did look like it could be an actual game specifically designed to take advantage of the ps5's hardware and it was fully playable. Even my grandma can take one look at that demo and tell it's a big leap from anything we're seeing today. It didn't need stickers like "optimized for Series X" or 4k and 120fps. The demo was build from the ground up to push the ps5 to its limits at 30fps and 1440p and that's how we're seeing that kind of leap.

Of course, they can probably get the exact same demo running on Series X if they wanted to. The problem, however, is that MS doesn't seem to be going for pushing next gen visuals, Instead, they are way more focused on multiplatform/ smart delivery graphics that'll scale up and down their family of devices. So the question isn't really if that tech demo would run on Series X, the question is if they could still do it if it also had to run on Xbox One and the average gaming pc?

How in the world could you of all people have been remotely impressed by that demo, you who have been preaching for months about how Microsoft's continuing to support Xbone would ruin their next gen games and have them offer nothing new outside of graphics. That tech demo was literally a current gen game with effects turned way up, right down to the whole "squeeze through this corridor" sequence next gen was supposed to get rid of with SSD's. Plus it's 30 frames per second and 1440p. With nothing much at all happening in the game for the hardware to handle. There were some birds or bats flying around in a scripted sequence.

Your second paragraph makes no sense. This is an engine. Of course it can scale lol

edit, apparently it was a scaling resolution and went lower than 1440p, that was simply the max.

How I would looove to see what you’d be saying if that tech demo had been revealed by X-Box.

It's running on PS5 in realtime!
Wow this is what I call jaw-breaking next-gen graphics. :O

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
goopy20 said:

I dont know about you but the closeups of rocks and realtime GI and bounce light with high quality shadow is just not possible in current gen and this demo is an early proof concept, no more baking of any sorts, its just going to get better from here. But the most important thing this demo showcases is how the next gen hardware will revolutionize game development, its really difficult to explain, The concept of polygon budget, Normal Maps, Lod's are all made redundant. A current gen polygon budget for a AAA is between 20m to 25m (just an estimate)

This demo showcased around 25b triangle just in one scene along with 8k texture, realtime GI with bounce lightning, importing high quality zbrush models without any modification.. tell this to any developer working on current gen games, they will just wet their pants.

Vodacixi said:
Sony paid Epic Games to show their UE5 tech demo under the name of PS5, despite the fact that said demo will probably, most likely, run and look better on XSX (and obviously PC). What Epic shown was impressive, but more than make me excited by PS5, it made me excited for how much better the XSX will handle games in general.

Just take the time and search tech forums about the UE5 engine demo. If you do it long enough, you will find it mentioned that this demo also runs on the XSX, with slightly reduced details. The demo was shown on the PS5 to also demonstrate what the fast ssd can do (no mention of how much space on the ssd was required, that is an interesting question that remains unanswered).

Also please provide a source that "Sony paid Epic Games to show their UE5 tech demo under the name of PS5". Again, the demo runs on both new DevKits, a little better on the PS5 one. And Epic wants to showcase what they have come up with, and they chose to show the better version.

Unreal demo is still trending #1 with close to 6 million views in under 24 hours. Sony just seems to reaching a larger number with its small reveals. Its pretty evident, to me at least, that as Sony looks to expand its catalog to the PC, its premier partner will be Epic. I wouldn't be surprised if they announced some kind of partnership for the PS5. Also it seems that it'll be easier for Sony to convince its studios and 3rd party studios to adopt it vision of the PS5/PC future than what Microsoft is trying to push.

drkohler said:
Vodacixi said:
Sony paid Epic Games to show their UE5 tech demo under the name of PS5, despite the fact that said demo will probably, most likely, run and look better on XSX (and obviously PC). What Epic shown was impressive, but more than make me excited by PS5, it made me excited for how much better the XSX will handle games in general.

Just take the time and search tech forums about the UE5 engine demo. If you do it long enough, you will find it mentioned that this demo also runs on the XSX, with slightly reduced details. The demo was shown on the PS5 to also demonstrate what the fast ssd can do (no mention of how much space on the ssd was required, that is an interesting question that remains unanswered).

Also please provide a source that "Sony paid Epic Games to show their UE5 tech demo under the name of PS5". Again, the demo runs on both new DevKits, a little better on the PS5 one. And Epic wants to showcase what they have come up with, and they chose to show the better version.

thats said nowhere
Would this demo run on my PC with a RTX 2070 Super? Yes, according to Libreri, and I should get "pretty good" performance. For comparison, the PlayStation 5 GPU the demo video was captured on achieves 10.28 teraflops, while the RTX 2070 Super hits just over 9 teraflops.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I just watched them.
I really like MS presentation. It was all about games, lots of types, all I wanted to see in a gaming presentation.
However, they described as generation defining, and that we would see gameplay, that could not be affirmed in the presentation. That caused 33k dislikes...
On the other hand, we could see generation defining features on unreal demo. The message on media was clearly very welcome to Sony, even without any effort.