By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Anybody Believe the NSW can sell around 150mil lifetime?

Does NSW have a Chance at 150mil Lifetime?

Yes 28 22.58%

130-140mil max 7 5.65%

120mil around 29 23.39%

110mil around 38 30.65%

100mil cuz I’m pessimistic 22 17.74%

Total:124

If they continue to churn out dozens of different versions that people have to double, triple and quadruple dip for one reason or another, sure.

The question is if they'll ever get an active player base that comes even close to 100m.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
If they continue to churn out dozens of different versions that people have to double, triple and quadruple dip for one reason or another, sure.

The question is if they'll ever get an active player base that comes even close to 100m.

That's interesting, I don't think double dipping will have a big impact yet, if they release a pro model I could see double dipping increasing a lot.

At the moment the lite is primarily aimed at getting new people to buy a switch and there is little reason for current switch owners to buy it. The model with a better battery wasn't really advertised so I doubt that'll have an impact.

I wonder what the ps4 and xbone's active player base is like, because the pro and one x seem to be primarily attracting double dippers.

I'm more expecting somewhere between 130M and 150M, but it certainly has a shot to reach over 150M with a good mid-gen update.

Yes , it can!
Especially after the global sanitary crisis...
However, it won't be as impressive as what DS achieved, DS was indirectly antagonizing with WII and it also had a straight competitor, PSP...
NS is a hyrbird console!
As for the overlapping between WII and DS, do we know how much high was it?
Not so much, in my opinion! Otherwise, Mario kart 8 deluxe wouldn't have such an attach ratio, it's already were Mario kart DS was in a more than double installbase.
At least, my conclusion, based on previous gens of Nintendo hardware, is that the handheld consoles were cannibalizing the sales of the home counterpart...

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9139419

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9139432
P.S To anyone, don't you dare to blame NS downplaying to MEEE...
For god's sake!

Last edited by tak13 - on 22 April 2020

newwil7l said:
Thinking 130m about now.

Every year we keep bringing the number up lol

remember in 2017 it was 40-50mil then 2018 was 3DS numbers (75mil) then 2019 it was 100mil? 2020 it’s 120mil for most optimistic people. 2021 it’ll be 140mil :p

Around the Network
vivster said:

Not even the DS or ps2 has close to 100m active players so that don’t matter. It’s better to compare software ratios instead 

Its not impossible, I guess.

If I had to predict the absolute best case scenario for the Switch, I'd say 120 - 130 Million lifetime.

100m = cuz im pessimitic wtf?

The Switch has its best years behinde it, nearly all its big IPs have had titles, and its past halfway point in its lifecycle.
Its at ~54m units.

Why would it suddenly sell 100m extra units in its last 2-3 years?

Can it happend? yes, almost anything in life can.
Will this happend? highly unlikely.

tak13 said:

Yes , it can!
Especially after the global sanitary crisis...
However, it won't be as impressive as what DS achieved, DS was indirectly antagonizing with WII and it also had a straight competitor, PSP...
NS is a hyrbird console!
As for the overlapping between WII and DS, do we know how much high was it?
Not so much, in my opinion! Otherwise, Mario kart 8 deluxe wouldn't have such an attach ratio, it's already were Mario kart DS was in a more than double installbase.
At least, my conclusion, based on previous gens of Nintendo hardware, is that the handheld consoles were cannibalizing the sales of the home counterpart...

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9139419

P.S To anyone, don't you dare to blame NS downplaying to MEEE...
For god's sake!

Shhh...don't be giving away the secret.  I've been saying the Switch is going to be the best selling system ever.  I never said it would be the most impressive system ever.  Those are two different things.  Shhhh....

Also that link just takes me back to the exact same post.  Maybe that was meant to link to something else?

Yeah, that's not going to happen.
At best, I see a longer than usual life cycle for the Switch. Around 8-9 years. And somewhere between 120-130 million, which may be higher than the PS4 depending on where that system finishes. But I don't think it has a shot at 150 million.