By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Anybody Believe the NSW can sell around 150mil lifetime?

Does NSW have a Chance at 150mil Lifetime?

Yes 28 22.58%

130-140mil max 7 5.65%

120mil around 29 23.39%

110mil around 38 30.65%

100mil cuz I’m pessimistic 22 17.74%

Total:124
Bofferbrauer2 said:
tbone51 said:

Actually disagree, it’s slowing down yes, but I think ps4 will sell alongside ps5 for the first 2 years especially if it’s msrp is roughly $500. Sony does extremely well with there services and they’ll maintain both with 2 consoles selling on the market with ps5 slowly gaining traction afterwards. Most games will be multiplat with a couple huge hits only on ps5. I can see a price cut down the line, possibly before holiday this year.  I could be wrong though lol

I don't think the PS4 will sell more than 9M this year. That's already a steep drop despite having some very heavy hitters. From there, I calculated 5M for 2021 and 3-4M for 2022+, so a maximum of 125M. And when I did that, I already took the $500-550 price tag into account.

The reason I'm not going higher is because the market will be flooded with second hand PS4 either way. When the PS3 came out, there weren't enough second hand units for everyone, so sales stayed up in industrialized countries while the developing countries just started releasing the console around those times, thus keeping it's sales up.

Hence why I compare the sales rather with the ones from the PS3 when the PS4 launched. And those went as follows:

• 8.2M in 2013 (PS4 launch year)
  • 3.5M in 2014
  • 2M in 2015-2017 combined

So compare that to my prediction for the PS4:

• 9M in 2020 (PS5 launch year)
  • 5M in 2021
  • 3-4M 2022-2025

and you'll see I actually gave the console quite a bit longer legs than the PS3 had.

And that's the reason why I believe 125M is the limit for the PS4, it's already following a very similar direction just before the launch of the next gen as it's predecessor did, and I don't see why the PS4 should do differently than the pS3 did. Because of big game releases maybe? Well, the PS3 got GTA V, Beyond: Two Souls, Gran Tourismo 6, Final Fantasy XIV and The Last of Us to name just a few heavy hitters the year the PS4 got released, so I don't see any advantage for the PS4 on that front either.

PS3 2013 and PS4 2020 sales aligned has a difference of around 0.5 million units in favour of PS4.

Remaining heavy hitters for PS4 are the last of us part II and Ghost of Tsushima, both games will give ps4 a decent boost in sales plus what’s left from 3rd party games.

The last official price cut for PS3 was on September 2013 at $269.

So in the end I’m very confident PS4 can do more than 9 Millions for this year. 

Around the Network

The thing with the PS2 and DS that should be understood too is those systems had massive ubiquity unique to their time period which can't really be replicated.

The PS2 could double as a DVD player in an age where disc-based movie media was booming massively worldwide, everyone had to switch over from VHS to the new DVD revolution, even grandpa/grandma. The DVD boom benefitted everyone from big Hollywood studios to even small indie filmmakers, suddenly there was a huge demand for disc product. The PS2 also had a longer "retirement" phase because it was $99.99-$129.99 and the PS3 was freaking $600, lol ... which resulted in PS2 probably selling for years longer, but this is not something Sony wanted or would want to willingly replicate. I'm sure if you gave them a choice between 150 PS2s versus 130 PS2s but PS3 going to 100+ million, they would've chose that instead, they did not think the PS3 would start they weakly.

The DS basically had a monopoly on the touch screen casual gaming market until smartphone games took off massively in 2010 with things like Angry Birds. But prior to that, Nintendo had a good long window where it basically had a monopoly on that style of gaming.

The PS4 and Switch while successful don't really have an overriding external factor going for them in that type of way, they are more or less just game machines. Which isn't a bad thing per se, it just is what it is. 

NSW doubles as a home console that you can take on the go instead of having it plugged into the tv.... i think we can compare that to the ps2 DVD player ;)

tbone51 said:
NSW doubles as a home console that you can take on the go instead of having it plugged into the tv.... i think we can compare that to the ps2 DVD player ;)

Not really the same thing. Anyway PS2 had a long protracted period of sales because the PS3 was a dog in sales for a long time because of the ridiculously high price. 

You don't want to replicate that, yeah Sony did sell PS2s, but it likely came at the expense of the PS3, causing Sony headaches for 2-3 years, which isn't a good thing. 

Console transitions are actually far more vital and key to a company's business than net total LTD. A previous system selling to some LTD is not much comfort if you transition badly to the next cycle. I'm sure when things were looking really ugly for the 3DS and Wii U, Nintendo probably would've rather had 80 million Wiis + 120 million DS' if it meant 50 million Wii Us and 100+ million 3DS' the next cycle. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 01 May 2020

Soundwave said:

The thing with the PS2 and DS that should be understood too is those systems had massive ubiquity unique to their time period which can't really be replicated.

The PS2 could double as a DVD player in an age where disc-based movie media was booming massively worldwide, everyone had to switch over from VHS to the new DVD revolution, even grandpa/grandma. The DVD boom benefitted everyone from big Hollywood studios to even small indie filmmakers, suddenly there was a huge demand for disc product. The PS2 also had a longer "retirement" phase because it was $99.99-$129.99 and the PS3 was freaking $600, lol ... which resulted in PS2 probably selling for years longer, but this is not something Sony wanted or would want to willingly replicate. I'm sure if you gave them a choice between 150 PS2s versus 130 PS2s but PS3 going to 100+ million, they would've chose that instead, they did not think the PS3 would start they weakly.

The DS basically had a monopoly on the touch screen casual gaming market until smartphone games took off massively in 2010 with things like Angry Birds. But prior to that, Nintendo had a good long window where it basically had a monopoly on that style of gaming.

The PS4 and Switch while successful don't really have an overriding external factor going for them in that type of way, they are more or less just game machines. Which isn't a bad thing per se, it just is what it is. 

Show some proof ffs.

If Nintendo goes from 150 to 80 and back to 150 will you finally accept that the 'casulaz' aren't a thing?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
tbone51 said:

Not really the same thing. Anyway PS2 had a long protracted period of sales because the PS3 was a dog in sales for a long time because of the ridiculously high price. 

You don't want to replicate that, yeah Sony did sell PS2s, but it likely came at the expense of the PS3, causing Sony headaches for 2-3 years, which isn't a good thing. 

Console transitions are actually far more vital and key to a company's business than net total LTD. A previous system selling to some LTD is not much comfort if you transition badly to the next cycle. I'm sure when things were looking really ugly for the 3DS and Wii U, Nintendo probably would've rather had 80 million Wiis + 120 million DS' if it meant 50 million Wii Us and 100+ million 3DS' the next cycle. 

Everyone accepts that Sony and MS's non-gaming features helped sell the console.

Physical TV/movie media is dead.

Guess who can stream and play natively both portably and then Switch to TV? Not Sony, not MS, not Apple, not Samsung, not Google.

"But it's just a tablet with HDMI-out and blutooth controllers" - Nintendo doubters 2016-2018

Last edited by Pyro as Bill - on 01 May 2020

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

tbone51 said:

But a General Electric DVD back in 2001 cost $99 whilst PS2 cost was $299.

So no, PS2 didn’t sell too well because it had a DVD player 

It could, but it's not gonna, imo..

No. It won't even reach 100 million.

globalisateur said:
No. It won't even reach 100 million.

It’s not April fools day anymore :P