By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's your predicted Switch lineup for the next few years?

For the rest of Switch's lifetime, what Nintendo IP do you think will release and when? Include any game you want to include, as long as it's a Nintendo game (could be a shared IP game like Mario + Rabbids too), including games you're just hoping for that may or may not happen.

I'll just break it down into the Fall/holiday season and the rest of the year.

Here's mine:

2020: Metroid Prime Trilogy HD

Fall 2020: BotW 2, Galaxy 1+2 HD, Mario 3D World port, Bayonetta 3, Paper Mario, Ring Fit game

2021: Mario Strikers, Pikmin 4, Mario Party, Wind Waker HD

Fall 2021: 3D Mario, Skyward Sword HD, Metroid Prime 4, Mario + Rabbids sequel, Ring Fit game

2022: Star Fox, Pokemon gen 9, Wave Race

Fall 2022: 2D Mario

And Switch 2 comes out Spring of 2023.

Around the Network

Going by your list, Switch would end up with a rather lackluster lifetime catalog.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:
Going by your list, Switch would end up with a rather lackluster lifetime catalog.

How so?

I really don't see the next console coming out that early, but at least you're not predicting 2022 like some.

Anyways I'll give it a shot:

2020: Bayonetta 3, and a Mario RPG
2021: BotW Sequel, Pikmin 4, 2D Metroid, 3D Mario, Diamond and Pearl remakes (Heavy year because games planned for this year are delayed)
2022: A Mario Party, 2D Zelda, Metroid Prime 4, Pokémon Gen 9
2023: Astral Chain 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, 2D Mario, some unexpected Donkey Kong game that isn't DKC
2024: Another Mario RPG and a Yoshi game

Also there's like 3 Kirby games and a Fire Emblem somewhere in there.
Then the next console comes out in mid to late 2024 (I expect the big launch title to be MK9, which I doubt they'll make crossgen like they sometimes have)

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Here's how my list looks.  Not taking into account Switch 2, because I think Nintendo will slowly hand out first party content even after Switch 2 is released like they did with the 3DS.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (port)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions (port)
Animal Crossing
Good Job
Clubhouse Games
Xenoblade Chronicles (port)
Bayonetta 3
3D Mario Collection
Super Mario All Stars (port)
Paper Mario
Excite Truck 2

BotW 2
Tomodachi Switch
Mario + Rabbids 2 (or similar spin-off)
Wario game
Kirby Game
Metroid Prime collection
AC Happy Home Designer 2
Pikmin 4
Donkey Kong Country game
Some digital only game
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (port)
New IP game
2-3 more ports

Metroid Prime 4
2D Zelda
Another Fit game
Pikmin 4
Nintendogs
Super Mario Party 2
Punch Out Ultimate
Next Fire Emblem
Pokemon Gen 9
Mario vs. Donkey Kong Switch
digital only game
new IP game
2-3 ports

Wii Sports like game
Yoshi game
Mario + Luigi RPG game
New Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
Mother 4
Hyrule Warriors 2
2D Metroid
some sort of spin off game from established IP
digital only game
New IP
2-3 ports

Mario Sports title
New Chibi-Robo
Pokemon Art Academy 2
Ever Oasis 2
spin off game
digital only game
3-4 ports

Wario game
Miitopia 2
Box Boy Returns
Captain Toad 2
spin off game
digital only game
4-5 ports

Brain Age 2 Switch
Art Academy game
digital only game
4-5 ports

Detective Pikachu 2
digital only game
3-4 ports

Realistically, Nintendo's next console will come out in 2023-2024, but Nintendo will keep supporting the Switch even after that.  That is what they did with the 3DS.  Although 2022 will probably be the last year for the really major titles.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 21 April 2020

Around the Network

mario 3D collection, paper mario, 3d world, new kirby game
Metroid prime trilogy, zelda botw2, bayonetta, pokemon lets go johto, pikmin 4, switch sports, some fire emblem remaster, warioware
prime 4, bayonetta 3, odyssey 2, tomodachi life, monolith new ip, hyrule warriors 2, new mistery dungeon game, kirby/yoshi epic wooly yarn world crossover
pokemon gen 9, WW/TP HD, mario party, mario maker 3D, zelda oracles remake, new yoshi, art academy
mario kart 9, new fire emblem,diamond pearl remake, new donkey kong, mario rabbids 2
fire emblem warriors 2

UnderwaterFunktown said:

I really don't see the next console coming out that early, but at least you're not predicting 2022 like some.

2021: BotW Sequel, Pikmin 4, 2D Metroid, 3D Mario, Diamond and Pearl remakes (Heavy year because games planned for this year are delayed)
2023: Astral Chain 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, 2D Mario, some unexpected Donkey Kong game that isn't DKC

Then the next console comes out in mid to late 2024 (I expect the big launch title to be MK9, which I doubt they'll make crossgen like they sometimes have)

Agree on MK9 being Switch 2 launch title.

Yeah people who predict 2022 are crazy. 2023 feels about right to me, but I could absolutely see a March 2024 release if sales are still strong in 2022. Let's not forget that they only have one system now. So they're not gonna wait for it to languish with low sales for a long time before bringing out the next one. If sales are slowing down significantly by 2022 we'll see Switch 2 in 2023. But if it's still selling like 15 million in 2022 then a 2024 release date makes more sense. I guess considering they haven't even done a price cut yet, and probably will launch a premium version of the system like next year, I could totally see a Spring 2024 launch being more likely than Spring 2023.

I actually do like the idea of a 2024 release date more because that gives Nintendo an extra year to get beefier tech in Switch 2 which would bring the system closer to PS5/XBoxSeries which means more likely to pick up scaled down third party games from those systems, plus more likely to easily run any port from PS4/XBO.

Somebody squeeze a Zelda Dungeon Maker somewhere into their list.

Slownenberg said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Agree on MK9 being Switch 2 launch title.

Yeah people who predict 2022 are crazy. 2023 feels about right to me, but I could absolutely see a March 2024 release if sales are still strong in 2022. Let's not forget that they only have one system now. So they're not gonna wait for it to languish with low sales for a long time before bringing out the next one. If sales are slowing down significantly by 2022 we'll see Switch 2 in 2023. But if it's still selling like 15 million in 2022 then a 2024 release date makes more sense. I guess considering they haven't even done a price cut yet, and probably will launch a premium version of the system like next year, I could totally see a Spring 2024 launch being more likely than Spring 2023.

I actually do like the idea of a 2024 release date more because that gives Nintendo an extra year to get beefier tech in Switch 2 which would bring the system closer to PS5/XBoxSeries which means more likely to pick up scaled down third party games from those systems, plus more likely to easily run any port from PS4/XBO.

Yea it definitely depends on how long the Switch sales stay strong, but since Switch demand is insane atm and like you said it hasn't gotten a price cut yet I think sales are going to be really great for the next two years and still quite solid in 2022. I also personally don't mind them waiting a little longer.  Sure the 3rd party AAA presence will fade, but the next platform will be better equipped for them as a result and its not like those games have ever been the main selling point of Nintendo consoles anyways.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

my rough guess/expectation
2020- mario 3d world, mario sunshine, botw 2 (scheduled), gods & Monsters *Switch version feat. Pit (ubisoft), paper mario color splash 2, some kind of platformer, randome casual game, modest eshop game
2021- 2d metroid, botw 2 (after delay), star fox 0 port, yoshi , kirby game, pikmin 3 port, pikmin 4, bayonetta 3, zelda remaster, random casual game, modest eshop game
2022- metroid prime trilogy , metroid prime 4 (switch 2 launch title too), Odyssey 2 (switch 2, launch title too), mario kart 9 (also a switch 2 launch), xenoblade title, overpriced mario & luigi title, another kirby game, random casual game, modest eshop game, overpriced punch out game. Fire Emblem game.

what i'd like (don't care when, just in the next 3 years)- gods and monster ft Pit (though i'd prefer a full fledged kid icarus game with a botw scope), botw 2, metroid prime 4, eternal darkness (remake NOT remaster), star fox adventure (remaster), star fox 0 port, new star fox AAA title in the vein of ghost recon wildlands (minus the online requirement), fatal fram 4 remaster, fatal frame 5 port, fatal frame 6. 2 new 3rd person AAA open world IP (with conventional combat, not a xenoblade affair. like assassin's creed or batman arkham knight). New AAA FPS IP. AAA chibi robo 3d platformer, Warioworld 2, way out there wish: partnership with capcom to make a linear AAA mega man game with a combat similar to metroid other M. Fully realize it could be medicore, but it could be cool. Also, paying platinum for a MadWorld 2 would be great.