By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Nintendo Switch Hardware Model Codename Suggests Completely New Form Factor

Would you buy a cheap "playstation Tv" like version of the Switch?

Yes, and I'd buy a digita... 7 18.42%

No, I dislike digital, ev... 31 81.58%

Total:38

I wish it was a home only console, I don't need portables as I never play out of the house, and I do not want to play in bed as it keeps me awake. My switch on my 120inch projector with 5.1 quality audio is a million times better than on the tiny 6inch screen with bad audio

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Making a digital only system with bugger all storage (Like 64GB) seems like the kinda nutty thing Nintendo might do.

Sometimes company do the thing that seems most illogical to us =]

But memory isn't that expensive anymore, I think they could add 256Gb without much cost.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I would not be surprised if nothing comes out of this.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

DonFerrari said:

I run out of space with 4Tb on PS4 with over 100 games installed. I think Pemalite have over 12TB of game installed.

Yeah but we're talking about Switch games here which are often from a few hundred megabytes to a few gigabytes, not massive PS4 games that are like 20-50gb each. I have about 30 games installed and it uses all of like 120gb. Probably 99% of Switch owners would get on fine in a digital-only Switch with 256gb internal storage and a 256gb SD card. For that extra 1% maybe they need to get a second 256 SD card and switch it out on a rare occasion.

Slownenberg said:
DonFerrari said:

I run out of space with 4Tb on PS4 with over 100 games installed. I think Pemalite have over 12TB of game installed.

Yeah but we're talking about Switch games here which are often from a few hundred megabytes to a few gigabytes, not massive PS4 games that are like 20-50gb each. I have about 30 games installed and it uses all of like 120gb. Probably 99% of Switch owners would get on fine in a digital-only Switch with 256gb internal storage and a 256gb SD card. For that extra 1% maybe they need to get a second 256 SD card and switch it out on a rare occasion.

Not sure if 512Gb would suffice a full gen without needing to ever delete or reinstall, but I also don't consider that a problem. And yes I agree that 256Gb of internal space shouldn't cost much and should cover the average owner (10 games per HW sold).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

A TV only model doesn't really explain a secondary display. That probably indicates maybe a VR accessorie for Switch which has a separate display. Probably the current Switch is too front heavy to strap to some kid's head and use for full VR (Labo VR has you have to basically hold the weight of the Switch in your arms).

Marth said:
Watch it be nothing at all lol

This is my bet. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:
Making a digital only system with bugger all storage (Like 64GB) seems like the kinda nutty thing Nintendo might do.

But memory isn't that expensive anymore, I think they could add 256Gb without much cost.

Yeah, Nintendo especially do some real out-of-left-field stuff, like LABO or the Wii Mini, and their systems do tend to have weirdly little internal storage.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 18 April 2020

vivster said:
10 years from now the next generation will laugh at us and ask why we felt the need to put software on individual cartridges or Blurays when there are perfectly fine local storage options. People clinging to physical games is today's version of people clinging to vinyl.

Vinyl sales have been increasing year over year for quite some time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl_revival#Sales

I'm in the "nothing will come of this" camp as far as the Switch goes.

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Yeah, Nintendo especially do some real out-of-left-field stuff, like LABO or the Wii Mini, and their systems do tend to have weirdly little internal storage.

unlike thier competitors though,you do't have to basically copy all the data on the disc to the hard drive- nintendo games run just fine on the card with only patches on internal memeory.

ps4/xbone and probably even more so for ps5/seriesx, they need the game installed on disc to even function.

nintendo can probably get away with a 150$ PSTV type console as cost of a tegrax1 dev kit costs under 100$, just need to add a bluetooth dongle, sd port, charger, and a card slot. probably a quarter of the price of the switch goes into the processor, with the screen+memory, joycons, and battery+charger each taking up a quarter respectfully. the switch lite is already 200.