By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Nintendo Switch Hardware Model Codename Suggests Completely New Form Factor

Would you buy a cheap "playstation Tv" like version of the Switch?

Yes, and I'd buy a digita... 7 18.42%

No, I dislike digital, ev... 31 81.58%

Total:38

https://wccftech.com/new-nintendo-switch-hardware-new-form-factor/

"These 5 models fall into three form factors: nx-abca2, nx-abcb, and nx-abcc. Icosa and Iowa are nx-abca2, Copper and Calcio are nx-abcb, and Hoag is nx-abcc. You may also notice some consistency in the naming; abca2 devices start with 'I' (integrated?), nx-abcbs start with 'C' (console), and nx-abcc is 'H' (handheld)."

"It appears to essentially be Copper but on the new Mariko chip found in Hoag and Iowa and, curiously, lacks support for game cards, suggesting a digital-only device. If my speculation that a TV-only device would be positioned as a sort of super-economical option (even cheaper than the lite) is accurate, that would make some sense. "

"The 10.0.0 firmware is still getting datamined, so there's the chance that more information will emerge on this new form factor soon. It has been suggested that it will feature a secondary display, so it will be interesting to see its uses and how it will be implemented.

Rumors of a new Nintendo Switch model have been circulating online for a good while. Last we heard about the possibility of a new model was back in January, when it was suggested that a "Pro" model wouldn't be a huge step forward for the console.

The currently available Nintendo Switch models are the regular model and the Nintendo Switch Lite."

Around the Network

So potentially a super cheap, console only version of the Switch, thats digital only.
Any interest in such a device guys?

I like physical better. I understand it will disappear eventually, but I like to have something material for emotional purposes. We can also resell if the game sucks (Right Pokemon Sword?)

Also storage issues. Damn it, I hate to uninstall games because I lack storage. Internet is pretty bad where I came from and sometimes It take me half a day to download a game

Plus, you don't have to worry about Nintendo closing their online store for good like they did with Wii Shop (and you losing your rights to download the game for good, imagine how much money you are losing because of this this...)

I would prefer a "New Switch", like the DSi or New 3DS. I'm not sure a digital only super-cheap model is the way to go. Switch sales are soaring and they can't keep up with production at the current price point. Why make a stationary, digital-only Switch that undermines profits and also kills the differentiating appeal of the platform? (I mean, this is Nintendo we're talking about, so I wouldn't rule it out...)

IcaroRibeiro said:

Also storage issues. Damn it, I hate to uninstall games because I lack storage. Internet is pretty bad where I came from and sometimes It take me half a day to download a game

Something tells me nintendo wont sell it with just 32GB flash memory, if its a digital only platform.
I'd guess it probably comes with a 500GB hdd.

Louie said:
I would prefer a "New Switch", like the DSi or New 3DS. I'm not sure a digital only super-cheap model is the way to go. Switch sales are soaring and they can't keep up with production at the current price point. Why make a stationary, digital-only Switch that undermines profits and also kills the differentiating appeal of the platform? (I mean, this is Nintendo we're talking about, so I wouldn't rule it out...)

It can be super cheap, and still sell at same profit margins.
Its just if its so much cheaper to make, passing some of that saveing onto the consumer makes sense.

Imagine a 130$-149$ Switch TV?  even if its digital only, I bet that thing would go on to sell gangbuster amounts.

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Also storage issues. Damn it, I hate to uninstall games because I lack storage.

Haven't you found the microSD slot yet?

A 200 - 256 GB microSD card usually only costs a fraction of a Switch game. 

I don't think a digital only version of a switch is possible because those who already have physical versions of previous games would have to buy them a second time as a digital copy.

Dyotropic said:
I don't think a digital only version of a switch is possible because those who already have physical versions of previous games would have to buy them a second time as a digital copy.

People who already have a Switch and Switch games are probably not the main target group.

And why shouldn't it be possible anyways? PSP Go and XBO SAD say hi.

Dyotropic said:

Not nintendos problem, if you bought it physical, and want to play it on a digital only console.
You ll just be told "too bad, not our problem, buy it again" (sell the physical to cover costs if needed)

JRPGfan said:

So potentially a super cheap, console only version of the Switch, thats digital only.
Any interest in such a device guys?

Exactly like the PSTV then (which I bought - the device was amazing).

And it would be indeed super cheap, unless they bundle it with a Pro controller.