By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Nintendo Switch Hardware Model Codename Suggests Completely New Form Factor

Would you buy a cheap "playstation Tv" like version of the Switch?

Yes, and I'd buy a digita... 7 18.42%

No, I dislike digital, ev... 31 81.58%

Total:38
JRPGfan said:
Dyotropic said:
I don't think a digital only version of a switch is possible because those who already have physical versions of previous games would have to buy them a second time as a digital copy.

Not nintendos problem, if you bought it physical, and want to play it on a digital only console.
You ll just be told "too bad, not our problem, buy it again" (sell the physical to cover costs if needed)

Nintendo is trying to get more than one switch per household. This wouldn't be the way to do it. I agree that it would be great for a first time switch owner household, but the backlash (soi boys complaining on twitter) would be insane.  

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Not nintendos problem, if you bought it physical, and want to play it on a digital only console.
You ll just be told "too bad, not our problem, buy it again" (sell the physical to cover costs if needed)

"too bad, not our problem, buy it again" reminds me how they treat their hardcore base which bought the Wii U and later the Switch (Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 1 + 2, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad...)

Conina said:
JRPGfan said:

"too bad, not our problem, buy it again" reminds me how they treat their hardcore base which bought the Wii U and later the Switch (Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 1 + 2, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad...)

I caved a bought captain toad twice because of the dlc. The dlc was a joke. Something like 3 extra levels. Also having animal crossing islands being localized to the switch console would be unusual if they expect people to own multiple consoles. 

Dyotropic said:

but the backlash (soi boys complaining on twitter) would be insane.  

I doubt that. They aren't forced to buy a digital-only Switch model, they can choose any other Switch model.

This is actually make sense, If Switch lite is handled device only then Switch pro will be console device only with better performance compared to normal Switch.

Around the Network
Conina said:
IcaroRibeiro said:
Also storage issues. Damn it, I hate to uninstall games because I lack storage.

Haven't you found the microSD slot yet?

A 200 - 256 GB microSD card usually only costs a fraction of a Switch game. 

I have a 64 GB that I bought along with the Switch, but I've been already out of space for quite some months already. I'll buy a 128 GB one eventually, for some reason 256 GB here is pretty overpriced (3 times the price of a 128 GB one), maybe importing is the way to go 

Nintendo making a PSP Go. No thanks. I'm done with modern gaming when physical is not an option.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

10 years from now the next generation will laugh at us and ask why we felt the need to put software on individual cartridges or Blurays when there are perfectly fine local storage options. People clinging to physical games is today's version of people clinging to vinyl.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Yea i don't like this. I would rather have them drop the price of the Switch and release a pro version next year instead. Don't see the point of a tv only model if it doesn't even boost the console.

vivster said:
10 years from now the next generation will laugh at us and ask why we felt the need to put software on individual cartridges or Blurays when there are perfectly fine local storage options. People clinging to physical games is today's version of people clinging to vinyl.

There is a slight difference though

Song file size 20 years ago - 5,2 MB

Song file size now - 5,2 MB

Game file size 20 years ago - 5,2 MB

Game file size now - 52 GB

While I fully agree physicals will definitely become obsolete someday, I'm not really buying the idea that all the storage and internet issues will be solved in that short time. Song and images files hit their plateau many years ago, movies size file is becoming non-issue because streaming can dynamically reduce image quality (also also the quality of the movies are limited by the quality of screens, not every TV has 4K support). Games's size however is growing just as fast as storage devices are becoming cheaper and more reliable, I don't know if it will be a definitive solution for this in the next two generations. 

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 16 April 2020