By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Nintendo Switch Hardware Model Codename Suggests Completely New Form Factor

Would you buy a cheap "playstation Tv" like version of the Switch?

Yes, and I'd buy a digita... 7 18.42%

No, I dislike digital, ev... 31 81.58%

Total:38

Yea I'm with a few posters here. Why the heck even take out the card slot. It barely takes any space compared to optical drive. I can see a no screen TV only switch maybe but they would be shooting themselves in the foot making it digital only. I wouldn't buy one that is for sure. If it had a card slot and 99$ then maybe.

Around the Network

unlike a disk drive, a CARD slot hardly costs any money, it just costs space, so.....

even the PSTV had a card slot for phisical games, for goodness sake!

I think it's possible Nintendo is working on a home only switch. With no screen and no battery and a cheaper cooling solution, they can sale it 150 dollars with one game and a controller (not a pro controller a cheaper one without HD rumble and NFC). It could be digital only, because the margin for each game sold is so much higher.
The dual screen update, that must be a switch lite with 2 screen and compatible with 3ds games (hardware wise or with emulation). So people continue to enjoy their 3ds games and buy switch ones.

What I am sure is that they will not release a switch pro. There is no need... even if some want it. Just wait 3 year and release switch 2. With DLSS it can be nearly as powerful as PS5 or Xbox series X.

Please support planet earth with ecosia and support me by visiting my website

People dont seem that open to this concept.... I'll admit the biggest issue I have is the digital only part.
If it has a cartridge slot, and its super cheap... that would be the ideal switch for me.

noemie75 said:

I think it's possible Nintendo is working on a home only switch. With no screen and no battery and a cheaper cooling solution, they can sale it 150 dollars with one game and a controller (not a pro controller a cheaper one without HD rumble and NFC). It could be digital only, because the margin for each game sold is so much higher.
The dual screen update, that must be a switch lite with 2 screen and compatible with 3ds games (hardware wise or with emulation). So people continue to enjoy their 3ds games and buy switch ones.

What I am sure is that they will not release a switch pro. There is no need... even if some want it. Just wait 3 year and release switch 2.
With DLSS it can be nearly as powerful as PS5 or Xbox series X.

Microsoft Xbox uses their own version of DLSS, called DirectML (machine learning), on the Xbox Series X.
Its part of DirectX now, and open to all (nvidia,amd,intel).

AMD has their own version of DLSS too... Which Sony could use, or they might go with another reconstruction technique.
Checkerboarding, is not the best such can do (im sure off it), and with a such a methode + sharpening filter, you could probably get close to DLSS.

DLSS isnt magically going to make a new Switch more powerfull than a PS5/XSX, thats basically non-sense talk.
However without a doubt, it ll be a huge help getting games running and looking better on it.

Theres tons of other techniques too:
Variable Rate Shading probably does as much for performance, as DLSS (upscaleing).
Again both PS5+XSX will make use of that.

Short of it, PS5+XSX are a massive jump, not just because of their hardware power, but because of these smarter techniques used for rendering.
It goes without saying that a Switch 2 should make use of these techniques as well.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 17 April 2020

Around the Network

I mean, I’ve just bought a gaming laptop so I’m going to have to get sed to digital. But for consoles, unless the game is on the cheaper side already (ie £20 and under) that I’ll view a digital only as not cost effective as I’ll be unable to trade games in.

A digital-only Nintendo system? Lol you guys are just asking to lose your games! How many Wii/GC games can be played on Switch? How many Wii/GC games have been remastered or re-released? All it takes is for you to lose your Switch HDD to corruption + Nintendo pulling support for the Switch eShop. Now all your games are gone.

As far as pulling data to prove that digital sells more than physical goes, that's not going to help at all. Most Indies on Switch are only available in physical form in extremely limited quantities. People will naturally buy more indies than they do $60 games, due to the price difference.

I mean, I'm 100% physical when it comes to $60 games, but still have 40-50 digital indies on my Switch. So according to some digital vs physical bean counters, I'm 50% digital on Switch!

JRPGfan said:
noemie75 said:

What I am sure is that they will not release a switch pro. There is no need... even if some want it. Just wait 3 year and release switch 2.
With DLSS it can be nearly as powerful as PS5 or Xbox series X.

Microsoft Xbox uses their own version of DLSS, called DirectML (machine learning), on the Xbox Series X.
Its part of DirectX now, and open to all (nvidia,amd,intel).

AMD has their own version of DLSS too... Which Sony could use, or they might go with another reconstruction technique.
Checkerboarding, is not the best such can do (im sure off it), and with a such a methode + sharpening filter, you could probably get close to DLSS.

DLSS isnt magically going to make a new Switch more powerfull than a PS5/XSX, thats basically non-sense talk.
However without a doubt, it ll be a huge help getting games running and looking better on it.

Theres tons of other techniques too:
Variable Rate Shading probably does as much for performance, as DLSS (upscaleing).
Again both PS5+XSX will make use of that.

Short of it, PS5+XSX are a massive jump, not just because of their hardware power, but because of these smarter techniques used for rendering.
It goes without saying that a Switch 2 should make use of these techniques as well.

DLSS is a true secret sauce this week =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Cerebralbore101 said:
A digital-only Nintendo system? Lol you guys are just asking to lose your games! How many Wii/GC games can be played on Switch? How many Wii/GC games have been remastered or re-released? All it takes is for you to lose your Switch HDD to corruption + Nintendo pulling support for the Switch eShop. Now all your games are gone.

As far as pulling data to prove that digital sells more than physical goes, that's not going to help at all. Most Indies on Switch are only available in physical form in extremely limited quantities. People will naturally buy more indies than they do $60 games, due to the price difference.

I mean, I'm 100% physical when it comes to $60 games, but still have 40-50 digital indies on my Switch. So according to some digital vs physical bean counters, I'm 50% digital on Switch!

Well the comparison for 50/50 is done on retail games also, basically was 20/80 the start of this gen and now is about 50/50 and soon to be 66/33.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Well the comparison for 50/50 is done on retail games also, basically was 20/80 the start of this gen and now is about 50/50 and soon to be 66/33.

Lots of Indies are retail in limited versions though. So I think you'd still have the effect of seeing a 10:1 digital to physical ratio for a lot of indies that have a limited edition physical retail version.

Don't get me wrong, I know physical game sales are plummeting. I just think the bean counters aren't seeing the forest for the trees. They aren't taking important factors into their equations. If we could do a digital:physical comparison between $60 games on PS4/XB1/Switch, that only included games in stock at most retailers, and include used games sales, I think we'd be sitting at around a 50:50 number right now.

But if you want to throw in Indies that don't really have physical versions outside of limited releases, PC games that are digital-only, games that are 5+ years old and not on store shelves anymore, I'm sure it's something like 70:30 in favor of digital sales.