By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - [RUMOR] PS5 potential price are to be expected around 499 to 549 according to game developer and Sony will have limited PS5 supply on it's launch date, PS4 pro and PS4 price cut are imminent

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-16/sony-is-said-to-plan-limited-playstation-5-output-in-first-year

According to people who knew the matter,  Sony Corp. plans to produce far fewer units of its upcoming PlayStation 5 in its first year than it had for the previous-generation console’s launch and it will change depend on he situation.

Some developer also trying to predict that the price will be around 499 to 549 USD due to the increased component costs (take this as grain of salt) because it's just a prediction by some developer and not confirmed by Sony

PS4 pro and PS4 price cut are imminent 

It said that the global pandemic really disturb the production and the distribution 

They also said The global Pandemic also has been affecting Sony plans for PS5 reveal/meeting and PS5 marketing/promotion  that should have been happened on March 

PS5 Dual Sense reveal were also rush  to avoid major leak due the controller are being shared to third party developer and publisher.

Covid-19 travel restrictions have prevented Sony engineers from flying to China to direct final adjustments before assembly plants go into mass production.

Suppliers have started delivering components to PS5 assemblers, who are scheduled to begin mass-producing the product by June. Sony’s PlayStation chief Jim Ryan has stressed that the machine’s launch should be simultaneous around the globe

Sony is still plan to launch their consol this year.

Last edited by HollyGamer - on 16 April 2020

Around the Network

I want to ask MOD is this thread should be in Sony thread or sales thread?

Previous news from Bloomberg also said PS5 price could be around 450 USD

Last edited by HollyGamer - on 16 April 2020

I can see $500 considering the specs and controller. Only time will tell!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

$499 for both seems a given at this point. Also...

" Sony Corp. plans to produce far fewer units of its upcoming PlayStation 5 in its first year than it had for the previous-generation console’s launch and it will change depend on he situation"

Is that because of Covid or are they trying to pull what many on this site have called "artificial demand"?

I don't see the point. Both consoles are likely to sell out at launch.

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:

" Sony Corp. plans to produce far fewer units of its upcoming PlayStation 5 in its first year than it had for the previous-generation console’s launch and it will change depend on he situation"

Is that because of Covid or are they trying to pull what many on this site have called "artificial demand"?

It means they are depending on China economy recovery and their manufacturing capability. 

Exactly what I said months ago, if Sony would make it 450dollars it would have to be sold at a big loss.

SSD is very expensive

The new controller is also more expensive than dualshock

The new GPU and processor and Ram all more expensive

The ps4 pro launched at 400dollars with much cheaper specs, cheaper controller, no BluRay 4k drive and no ssd, the xbox X was 500 dollars without SSD and cheaper controller, therefore there is no way the ps5 could ever be less than 450dollars at a loss, but Sony said they wouldn't take a loss so 500dollars is bare minimum.

I'm happy with $499. It will benefit from having a much better value proposition than PS4/Xbox One did at launch:
1. Being backwards compatibility for 99% of games
2. Games with performance modes/Dynamic res jumping to 4k60fps.

PS4/Xbox One corss gen titles at launch had slightly better visuals but they rarely offered a big performance increase

499$ sounds realistic for what the console offers and Corona will probably have some effect on production. Depending on how the situation develops supply could be limited or the launch of one or both next-gen consoles could even be postponed, but that's the worst case scenario.

We have to keep in mind that the video gaming market is highly price sensitive. If PS5 launches at 499 we should expect somewhat lower sales for Sony compared to the PS4's early months. Sony and Microsoft are in a somewhat difficult situation as PS4 Pro and Xbox One X bridged the gap between last-gen and next-gen somewhat and the jump in performance has to be high enough to entice hardcore gamers to upgrade, which is probably the reason for the likely price-jump compared to last generation.

Also, Nintendo is in a very comfortable position this time around. If they drop the price to 249$ and/or release a "new Switch" model that would help them to keep their position as the most successful manufacturer in 2021. Overall, the situation for Sony is decent, but not as good as it was at the beginning of last generation.

ironmanDX said:

No one artificial demand, because sony and microsoft are fighting for top spot, and the one who sells the most at the beginning, will likely the the top for the whole generation.

Unfortunately the ps5 will have a very advanced SSD drive, so parts will be harder to come by, hence fewer units.

Thats ok by me as Im going to switch to PC next gen.