By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - [RUMOR] PS5 potential price are to be expected around 499 to 549 according to game developer and Sony will have limited PS5 supply on it's launch date, PS4 pro and PS4 price cut are imminent

Yerm said:
They say to take rumors with a grain of salt, but when all we have to go off of is rumors, thats what we look to believe.

If what we are being told about the New Xbox and PS5 are true, then the PS5 is dead in the water. The New Xbox is looking to be the same price if not cheaper, AND have better reported performance, AND also come in a cheaper $300 model, then who the hell is buying the PS5?

The power difference is not significant enough and its debatable if MS will even tap in and showcase that power to a meaningful level. 

Which model do you think would sell more, the cheaper model or the high end? 

There's 110 million gamers that Sony will be directing their marketing at, to upgrade and stay within their ecosystem. They have massive advantages in certain regions and stronger global brand recognition. 

I shouldn't have to mention the obvious powerhouse and massive draw that is their first party studios. Multiple GOTY winners and sales now in the 10s of millions.

Around the Network
Dallinor said:
Yerm said:
They say to take rumors with a grain of salt, but when all we have to go off of is rumors, thats what we look to believe.

If what we are being told about the New Xbox and PS5 are true, then the PS5 is dead in the water. The New Xbox is looking to be the same price if not cheaper, AND have better reported performance, AND also come in a cheaper $300 model, then who the hell is buying the PS5?

The power difference is not significant enough and its debatable if MS will even tap in and showcase that power to a meaningful level. 

Which model do you think would sell more, the cheaper model or the high end? 

There's 110 million gamers that Sony will be directing their marketing at, to upgrade and stay within their ecosystem. They have massive advantages in certain regions and stronger global brand recognition. 

I shouldn't have to mention the obvious powerhouse and massive draw that is their first party studios. Multiple GOTY winners and sales now in the 10s of millions.

I honestly think both New Xbox models will sell pretty evenly. What we know for a fact is that parents are going to be more likely to get the lighter model for their kids, plus it will be a huge draw for lower income families. $300 for what is basically a 4-in-1 console is a very appealing offer. At the same time though, if people have the money, they will be more tempted to go for the better model. In light of your "110 million gamers claim", thats not entirely accurate. A lot of those sales are from previous owners who wanted to upgrade. They are really looking more at 75-80 million. This time around people can go for whatever model they want without fear that in a few years there will be something better.

In regard to Sony's first party IPs, even up to a few years ago I would have agreed with you, but the gaming landscape has been changing. Massive RPG games with gripping stories have fallen out of the spotlight. Between the Fortnite craze, Minecraft's second coming, Nintendo making a comeback, etc. it is clear that people are more interested in gameplay over story than they have been in decades. Spiderman for PS4, nobody talks about the story, just how smooth it feels to move through the game. Nearly every Switch title from Nintendo is shattering sales records and review scores for their fluid gameplay. There are a lot more eyes on studios like Platinum Games and FromSoftware for their action games. 

From what I've seen, Sony is not lining up too many games with an emphasis on new gameplay experiences, its mostly what they've been doing with the PS4 except with better graphics quality. Lots of sequels, a few remakes, but nothing groundbreaking. To be fair, Xbox isnt lining up many blockbuster titles either, but they have the advantage of having every Xbox game ever, which looks damn appeal to a lot of people. 

But if you know something I don't, please tell me I'm wrong. As I said, this is a rumor period, if you have a better light to look at this situation in, I would love to hear it.

I think that fast memory is inflating the price. Take with a grain of salt however...

Also, Damian Thong

PS5 > $450 = Dead Weight

sales2099 said:
Zoombael said:

Yeasure. Copying an obvious design choice, a necessity as DigitalFoundry called it. Thats the same amount BC as claiming the DualSense is a carbon copy of the Xbox controller. Now MS has single handedly invented the tower form factor.

Ah I see the pre spin emerging. Can’t deny the Series X design is a big departure from traditional console boxes and angular flat rectangles.

Plus it speaks to MSs clear PC roots with the tower look. But to top it off they are first and revealed in December. If Sony unveils the same design...might as well say their entire RnD department just looks to MS for inspiration. It wouldn’t be original and it would scream imitative rather then innovative. 

Pre spin? You just don't understand. That's all.

Have you noticed something peculiar about the PS5 devkit?

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
Yerm said:

Everyone in Europe and Asia because existing brand power >>>>>> literally anything wrong that can happen. So they have that cushion. 

Remember how disastrous the PS3 launch was? Brand power isn't as strong as a factor as many like to make it.  If the Xbox One would have had a better release we could be looking at a much different landscape than we are right now, but Microsoft gifted the PS4 this generation.

Nintendo with the Switch:

Yeah dont know people expect it obe 399

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Soonerman said:
I find it interesting how people find a $500 price outrageous yet we spend $1,000 in phones.

Consoles are useless without games. While buying a phone you get the complete package. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
Yeah dont know people expect it obe 399

As of February, Mochizuki reports a cost of $ 450.
Had it not been affected by the coronavirus, it would have been cheaper.
I think $ 399 was realistic as of last year.

And the same effect will happen to MS
Both use Taiwanese SOC and Korean memory.

Yerm said:

Given how many people are infected with coronavirus in america,

it's amazing how easy it is for people to believe that this kind of impact only happens to Sony.