By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - [RUMOR] PS5 potential price are to be expected around 499 to 549 according to game developer and Sony will have limited PS5 supply on it's launch date, PS4 pro and PS4 price cut are imminent

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

So you agree that it wasn't a response to MS and changed your opinion from that thread?

Do you remember that couple weeks ago the rumor was that Xbox didn't had a defined box and no devkit were available so games release would take a big impact?

None of these rumours are credible, and besides I doubting Sony will use the same design even if they were to use it wouldn't be because they decided to copy MS since they have been developing the system for 5 years and won't change the whole design (how to fit the parts inside even more than the shell) and philosophy/assembly in couple months to make it look like Xbox.

No I’m not changing my stance. Kirby007s comment to me makes this all one juicy conspiracy theory. The overheating rumours, the lack of shipments at launch, the scrambling after seeing the practicality of the tower design for venting heat. Because I don’t think a outer redesign wouldn’t be TOO much work if the specs are the same. The Xbox rumor you mentioned (it was last year before the reveal) I’m chalking it up to them preserving their big reveal. 

So you still think Sony reveal of PS5 was a reaction to XSX, yes or no?

Tower design is something know for over 3 decades so why would Sony be surprised by it? Don't forget PS2, PS3 and PS4 were designed to stand as "tower" (not square though) so that isn't new for Sony even if their consoles were also designed to be sitted (still for the 3 consoles the preferential position was standing, different than Xbox that had some little harder use when using in standing position due to DVD insertition if I'm not wrong).

Can PS5 be redesigned and may overheat be an issue? It could, but chances are so minimal that even you admitted it is conspiracy theory.

I am entitled to this because Sony isn’t being transparent and these rumours are all we have. You gotta admit MS has been focused and transparent while Sony being all too coy with their fans. 

You have no entitlement, we both know you are just taking whatever you can to throw some jabs at Sony while you can and before the gen start and we need to talk numbers and all.

Granted I concede they are master of their craft in software, so there’s no real need to get defensive, because it’s just hardware rumours. That said I’ll ask you again: don’t you want Sony to make a truly unique design for PS5?
Rumours are just rumours, and since they have 0 evidence and stand on lousy ground it can also be called FUD when it is used to spread ill against something or raise unecessary concern thus why it need to be take down.

PS5 Devkit have a truly unique look and I'm one of the few that like it, but in the end I don't really care about how the console look after I install it.

scottslater said:
sales2099 said:

Everyone in Europe and Asia because existing brand power >>>>>> literally anything wrong that can happen. So they have that cushion. 

Remember how disastrous the PS3 launch was? Brand power isn't as strong as a factor as many like to make it.  If the Xbox One would have had a better release we could be looking at a much different landscape than we are right now, but Microsoft gifted the PS4 this generation.

PS3 disastrous release took over 3 years to be corrected and PS3 still oversold X360, X1 release took less than 6 months to be corrected and they are selling less than 40% of what PS4 do (and actually the gap have been only increasing, even after the corrections).

Sony would need to fuck to much at once and MS do everything right for XSX to have a chance to outsell PS5. Not likely at all.

Jranation said:
Soonerman said:
I find it interesting how people find a $500 price outrageous yet we spend $1,000 in phones.

Consoles are useless without games. While buying a phone you get the complete package. 

Not really, you need data and/or voice plan without those the phone doesn't do anything, also without apps (paid or not) it basically only do calls =]

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Zoombael said:
sales2099 said:

Ah I see the pre spin emerging. Can’t deny the Series X design is a big departure from traditional console boxes and angular flat rectangles.

Plus it speaks to MSs clear PC roots with the tower look. But to top it off they are first and revealed in December. If Sony unveils the same design...might as well say their entire RnD department just looks to MS for inspiration. It wouldn’t be original and it would scream imitative rather then innovative. 

Pre spin? You just don't understand. That's all.

Have you noticed something peculiar about the PS5 devkit?

I do hope the dev kit is something similar to the final design. Let’s have some variety in console aesthetics 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

No I’m not changing my stance. Kirby007s comment to me makes this all one juicy conspiracy theory. The overheating rumours, the lack of shipments at launch, the scrambling after seeing the practicality of the tower design for venting heat. Because I don’t think a outer redesign wouldn’t be TOO much work if the specs are the same. The Xbox rumor you mentioned (it was last year before the reveal) I’m chalking it up to them preserving their big reveal. 

Tower design is something know for over 3 decades so why would Sony be surprised by it? Don't forget PS2, PS3 and PS4 were designed to stand as "tower" (not square though) so that isn't new for Sony even if their consoles were also designed to be sitted (still for the 3 consoles the preferential position was standing, different than Xbox that had some little harder use when using in standing position due to DVD insertition if I'm not wrong).

Can PS5 be redesigned and may overheat be an issue? It could, but chances are so minimal that even you admitted it is conspiracy theory.

I am entitled to this because Sony isn’t being transparent and these rumours are all we have. You gotta admit MS has been focused and transparent while Sony being all too coy with their fans. 

You have no entitlement, we both know you are just taking whatever you can to throw some jabs at Sony while you can and before the gen start and we need to talk numbers and all.

Granted I concede they are master of their craft in software, so there’s no real need to get defensive, because it’s just hardware rumours. That said I’ll ask you again: don’t you want Sony to make a truly unique design for PS5?
Rumours are just rumours, and since they have 0 evidence and stand on lousy ground it can also be called FUD when it is used to spread ill against something or raise unecessary concern thus why it need to be take down.

PS5 Devkit have a truly unique look and I'm one of the few that like it, but in the end I don't really care about how the console look after I install it.

scottslater said:

Remember how disastrous the PS3 launch was? Brand power isn't as strong as a factor as many like to make it.  If the Xbox One would have had a better release we could be looking at a much different landscape than we are right now, but Microsoft gifted the PS4 this generation.

PS3 disastrous release took over 3 years to be corrected and PS3 still oversold X360, X1 release took less than 6 months to be corrected and they are selling less than 40% of what PS4 do (and actually the gap have been only increasing, even after the corrections).

Sony would need to fuck to much at once and MS do everything right for XSX to have a chance to outsell PS5. Not likely at all.

Jranation said:

Consoles are useless without games. While buying a phone you get the complete package. 

Not really, you need data and/or voice plan without those the phone doesn't do anything, also without apps (paid or not) it basically only do calls =]

Free wifi is being integrated to more places now. You can also call and text using the internet. You can browse the internet, use microsoft applications like word, powerpoint and excel spreadsheet. It also can take high quaity pictures and videos. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

The PS5 spec reveal wasn’t a reaction, MS fortunately happened to go first. But cmon, literally the next day? That’s pure theatre MS squeezed theirs off first. 

You arguing semantics with past consoles being able to stand up. That’s not a “tower” setup. PCs are tower setup....boring and bulky stand up rectangles :). For consoles it’s clearly a departure from tradition, and doubles as being extremely practical for heat venting. The PS5 design should be unique so at least you guys can be as excited as I was in December rather then being obligated to explain how it’s totally normal they are sharing a core look. 

I told you, I all ready know PS will sell more consoles. Still looking forward to seeing the weekly numbers, but I’m all about the Xbox ecosystem going forward. Pre-moved goal posts ;) End of day these rumours don’t help the silence. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Jranation said:
DonFerrari said:

Free wifi is being integrated to more places now. You can also call and text using the internet. You can browse the internet, use microsoft applications like word, powerpoint and excel spreadsheet. It also can take high quaity pictures and videos. 

If you want to go that route then consoles also have a lot of free to play games, several apps (including the streaming video services), can browse the internet, HH like PSVita, PSP, DS, 3DS and Switch also take picture, video, etc. So you don't really need to buy games. Also a console is usually held for 6 years (so average is 10 games per console, that would mean 600 in games plus 400 in HW, about the same price of a flagship phone, that usually is changed every 2 or 3 years plus 50+ month for the plan). Your comparison doesn't really favor you.

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

The PS5 spec reveal wasn’t a reaction, MS fortunately happened to go first. But cmon, literally the next day? That’s pure theatre MS squeezed theirs off first. 

You arguing semantics with past consoles being able to stand up. That’s not a “tower” setup. PCs are tower setup....boring and bulky stand up rectangles :). For consoles it’s clearly a departure from tradition, and doubles as being extremely practical for heat venting. The PS5 design should be unique so at least you guys can be as excited as I was in December rather then being obligated to explain how it’s totally normal they are sharing a core look. 

I told you, I all ready know PS will sell more consoles. Still looking forward to seeing the weekly numbers, but I’m all about the Xbox ecosystem going forward. Pre-moved goal posts ;) End of day these rumours don’t help the silence. 

Thanks for admiting it, but on the specific thread several were talking as if it was a reaction and not a coincidence (probably the major reason for the coincidence is that both companies revealed the information they had scheduled for GDC and close to the time GDC would be held so it happened to be consecutive days).

I'm excited about the games that will be released in the next 6 years, not exactly about the looks, but well, some people will be pleased by how the console look, luck them.

I now that you said PS5 will outsell XSX, but if it doubles it then I don't think you'll stay on the site for long =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

By the way, please note that this news is only reported by Bloomberg.
It is not from multiple sources.

News that the cost of PS5 has skyrocketed in February has also been only reported by Bloomberg(Mochizuki).

I'm ok with 499. That just sadly means I will only be able to afford one console this fall rather than both and PS5 has a leg up on Xbox Series X at the moment (for me personally) and I honestly don't see that changing barring some huge announcement from MS that sways me.

Expensive is relative to income and personal expenses. $500 is too much for me. I will have to wait til I can get it cheaper.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Soonerman said:
I find it interesting how people find a $500 price outrageous yet we spend $1,000 in phones.

I got my first smartphone in 2019. It's a Samsung. It was $100. That is not a contract. That is owned.

Last edited by Leynos - on 16 April 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

That's a loss of atleast $200 right there. I'm expecting $599, and i hope kaz hirai is the one that does the console and price reveal.