By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - [RUMOR] PS5 potential price are to be expected around 499 to 549 according to game developer and Sony will have limited PS5 supply on it's launch date, PS4 pro and PS4 price cut are imminent

scottslater said:

Remember how disastrous the PS3 launch was? Brand power isn't as strong as a factor as many like to make it.  If the Xbox One would have had a better release we could be looking at a much different landscape than we are right now, but Microsoft gifted the PS4 this generation.

PS3 disastrous release took over 3 years to be corrected and PS3 still oversold X360, X1 release took less than 6 months to be corrected and they are selling less than 40% of what PS4 do (and actually the gap have been only increasing, even after the corrections).

Sony would need to fuck to much at once and MS do everything right for XSX to have a chance to outsell PS5. Not likely at all.

If the announcement of the Xbox One wasn't such a disaster this generation would have been completely different is my point, Sony wouldn't have had near the success with the PS4 it did.  And in comparison to their other products, the PS3 was a disappointment period by their standards.

Much like the PS2 and the wild success it had, Sony basically had no competition this generation for years.  It is clear from the last few generations that brand loyalty isn't as strong as many think it is.  Sony had no competition in home console gaming with the PS2, Nintendo won last generation with the Wii, Sony won the first half of this generation and Nintendo won the second half with the Switch. 

It will be very interesting to see what will happen with this generation between a system that is hitting it's peak (Switch) and last generation hardware still very capable (Xbox One X/PS4 Pro) of performing well.  I just don't see the SXS/PS5 having great launches in the current world (coronavirus and a real possibility of massive unemployment).

Last edited by scottslater - on 17 April 2020

Nintendo with the Switch:

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

Thanks for admiting it, but on the specific thread several were talking as if it was a reaction and not a coincidence (probably the major reason for the coincidence is that both companies revealed the information they had scheduled for GDC and close to the time GDC would be held so it happened to be consecutive days).

I'm excited about the games that will be released in the next 6 years, not exactly about the looks, but well, some people will be pleased by how the console look, luck them.

I now that you said PS5 will outsell XSX, but if it doubles it then I don't think you'll stay on the site for long =p

I can tell you don’t care about how the console looks, but if it does end up looking like the Series X I am pretty sure the narrative will adjust to make it seem like it’s no big deal overall when people do care. Sony is a leader, not a follower and this will register on some level.

Ill only go back into my gaming bunker if MS screws up 2013 proportions ;) I don’t see that happening anytime soon. 

Yes if PS5 looks similar to XSX sure there will be discussion over it, with some using it to jab on Sony and others defending, usual day.

scottslater said:

PS3 disastrous release took over 3 years to be corrected and PS3 still oversold X360, X1 release took less than 6 months to be corrected and they are selling less than 40% of what PS4 do (and actually the gap have been only increasing, even after the corrections).

Sony would need to fuck to much at once and MS do everything right for XSX to have a chance to outsell PS5. Not likely at all.

If the announcement of the Xbox One wasn't such a disaster this generation would have been completely different is my point, Sony wouldn't have had near the success with the PS4 it did.  And in comparison to their other products, the PS3 was a disappointment period by their standards.

Much like the PS2 and the wild success it had, Sony basically had no competition this generation for years.  It is clear from the last few generations that brand loyalty isn't as strong as many think it is.  Sony had no competition in home console gaming with the PS2, Nintendo won last generation with the Wii, Sony won the first half of this generation and Nintendo won the second half with the Switch. 

It will be very interesting to see what will happen with this generation between a system that is hitting it's peak (Switch) and last generation hardware still very capable (Xbox One X/PS4 Pro) of performing well.  I just don't see the SXS/PS5 having great launches in the current world (coronavirus and a real possibility of massive unemployment).

And your evidence that it would play completely different is? Again PS3 won against X360 having a much bigger disaster launch taking much longer to correct (first took more than half the gen to correct while the second corrected in like 10% timeframe of the gen).

Look at USA and UK, those were the only places X360 won against PS3, and this gen Xbox done well enough on those so even if the reveal was much better there is no indication that it would grant more than 10M extra sales. That wouldn't really change this gen, and we don't even know if these would mean lost sales to PS4.

But believe what you want. PS4 sales curve was basically unafected by Switch (hint they don't directly compete, same with Wii vs X360 and PS3).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

So you agree that it wasn't a response to MS and changed your opinion from that thread?

Do you remember that couple weeks ago the rumor was that Xbox didn't had a defined box and no devkit were available so games release would take a big impact?

None of these rumours are credible, and besides I doubting Sony will use the same design even if they were to use it wouldn't be because they decided to copy MS since they have been developing the system for 5 years and won't change the whole design (how to fit the parts inside even more than the shell) and philosophy/assembly in couple months to make it look like Xbox.

don’t you want Sony to make a truly unique design for PS5?

I honestly couldn't understand why anyone would care about this at all. Who cares what your console looks like? All that matters is does it have games. 

victor83fernandes said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
I will be surprised if PS5 can actually release this year. Delays seem inevitable due to the virus.

I am 100% sure it launches this year maybe in Japan and USA, and Europe early next year.

What is this confidence based on?  Do you know something about the future of this pandemic that the rest of us don't?  Even the top experts don't exactly know how things are going to play out.

Soonerman said:
I find it interesting how people find a $500 price outrageous yet we spend $1,000 in phones.

Do you know what is even more interesting?  There are about 3.5 billion cell phone users in the world, far more than the number of console gamers.  Why, it's almost like they are two completely different products.  Crazy, right?

Now, if you'll excuse me, my PS4 is ringing and I need to go answer it.

method114 said:
sales2099 said:

don’t you want Sony to make a truly unique design for PS5?

I honestly couldn't understand why anyone would care about this at all. Who cares what your console looks like? All that matters is does it have games. 

Average casual gamers? Sure who cares. Fans that take time out of their day to talk about video games online....they care on some level. Because everybody has a preference and wants theirs to be dominant. 

There’s always a little PSYC 101 at play with console fans. Each one wants their brand to be a leader, not a follower. Because if you represent the follower then it reduces your position when you go on gaming forums/Reddit. 

Games matter much, much more. But with a new console gen, everything is under scrutiny. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
method114 said:

Average casual gamers? Sure who cares. Fans that take time out of their day to talk about video games online....they care on some level. Because everybody has a preference and wants theirs to be dominant. 

There’s always a little PSYC 101 at play with console fans. Each one wants their brand to be a leader, not a follower. Because if you represent the follower then it reduces your position when you go on gaming forums/Reddit. 

Games matter much, much more. But with a new console gen, everything is under scrutiny. 

I do not care on any level like at all. It's not even something I've thought about. Same with controllers I could understand why people care about that more but I've been gaming since I was 9 with my NES. Give me a controller, 10 mins, and I'll show you how to use it. I've gamed on almost every system ever made except for a small few and I've loved them all. I've hopped from PC to Xbox to Sony and well this gen I started making F U money so I've owned them all at some point and they were all great.

I think people who view this as a competition care cause they want something to hold over someone online. I guess when you can join and be apart of whatever team you want cause money isn't an issue you just don't care. The only loyalty I have in gaming is to gaming itself. Companies come and go in this business but gaming always sticks around.

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

So you agree that it wasn't a response to MS and changed your opinion from that thread?

Do you remember that couple weeks ago the rumor was that Xbox didn't had a defined box and no devkit were available so games release would take a big impact?

None of these rumours are credible, and besides I doubting Sony will use the same design even if they were to use it wouldn't be because they decided to copy MS since they have been developing the system for 5 years and won't change the whole design (how to fit the parts inside even more than the shell) and philosophy/assembly in couple months to make it look like Xbox.

No I’m not changing my stance. Kirby007s comment to me makes this all one juicy conspiracy theory. The overheating rumours, the lack of shipments at launch, the scrambling after seeing the practicality of the tower design for venting heat. Because I don’t think a outer redesign wouldn’t be TOO much work if the specs are the same. The Xbox rumor you mentioned (it was last year before the reveal) I’m chalking it up to them preserving their big reveal. 

I am entitled to this because Sony isn’t being transparent and these rumours are all we have. You gotta admit MS has been focused and transparent while Sony being all too coy with their fans. 

Granted I concede they are master of their craft in software, so there’s no real need to get defensive, because it’s just hardware rumours. That said I’ll ask you again: don’t you want Sony to make a truly unique design for PS5?

Your sole purpose since you came back has been to spread pathetic FUD.

Hynad said:
sales2099 said:

No I’m not changing my stance. Kirby007s comment to me makes this all one juicy conspiracy theory. The overheating rumours, the lack of shipments at launch, the scrambling after seeing the practicality of the tower design for venting heat. Because I don’t think a outer redesign wouldn’t be TOO much work if the specs are the same. The Xbox rumor you mentioned (it was last year before the reveal) I’m chalking it up to them preserving their big reveal. 

I am entitled to this because Sony isn’t being transparent and these rumours are all we have. You gotta admit MS has been focused and transparent while Sony being all too coy with their fans. 

Granted I concede they are master of their craft in software, so there’s no real need to get defensive, because it’s just hardware rumours. That said I’ll ask you again: don’t you want Sony to make a truly unique design for PS5?

I like Xbox and I love nerding out talking about it and the rivalries within gaming. Say what you will about my passions but I never made any FUD threads since I got here. I just react to posts I see. I personally don’t insult anybody, unlike what you just did. I think that says something about us. Because...it’s just video games, it’s not personal. Dont like what I say, you quote me and attack the argument. Otherwise you ignore and move on. Lol relax. 

Clearly you haven’t seen me post in Xbox Empire. That’s where I have the most fun talking about news and seeing like- minded opinions. Anything else, you PM me and we talk like adults. Not here. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 17 April 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Hynad said:

I like Xbox and I love nerding out talking about it and the rivalries within gaming. Say what you will about my passions but I never made any FUD threads since I got here. I just react to posts I see. I personally don’t insult anybody, unlike what you just did. I think that says something about us. Because...it’s just video games, it’s not personal. Dont like what I say, you quote me and attack the argument. Otherwise you ignore and move on. Lol relax. 

Clearly you haven’t seen me post in Xbox Empire. That’s where I have the most fun talking about news and seeing like- minded opinions. Anything else, you PM me and we talk like adults. Not here. 

That’s what I did. I said your comments are pathetic FUD. 

If you take it as me saying you are pathetic, and not the comments, that’s not my problem.

Last edited by Hynad - on 17 April 2020

Hynad said:
sales2099 said:

That’s what I did. I said your comment are pathetic FUD. 

If you take it as me saying you are pathetic, and not the comments, that’s not my problem.

I know you weren’t talking about me as a person but the word carries weight regardless. What part of PM do you not understand? Keep the forum topic intact.