By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 14, 2020 (Mar 30 - Apr 05)

Now imagine what Switch numbers would be like without stock shortages...

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I was waiting for a report like this.  Movie theaters in China are still closed, and people are currently emergency buying groceries there.  China hasn't recovered from the virus yet.  That means Switches will be in short supply until things fully improve in China.

They would reopen but choose to not do so, btw I am not sure movie theaters will reopen in the West, seems opening movie theaters will be one of the last measures taken. Ofcourse the detals of recovered to a certain point would be interesting.

Incorrect.  The movie theaters opened and then they closed down again a week later.  Basically the perception in China in early March was that they had recovered and then they realized that a second wave of the virus was hitting them.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-china-orders-all-movie-theaters-to-close-again-2020-3

I am commenting on this because of the lack of direct information coming out of China.  Since direct information is limited I am going off the box office which has been closed in China since January.  It reopened for one week in March and then closed again.  They still have concerns about the virus in China.  Because of this, I believe it will be a while before factories like Foxconn are up to full capacity.  Don't expect Switches to be back to full production any time soon.  China is still recovering from the virus.

Pinkie_pie said:
RE 3 remake sold 100k less than 2 opening week at retail maybe because of coronavirus so more people are buying it digitally

Maybe it's part of it but the game is also inferior to its predecessor (still great).

Signature goes here!

Pinkie_pie said:
RE 3 remake sold 100k less than 2 opening week at retail maybe because of coronavirus so more people are buying it digitally

I hope so, game is so good I hope it has great sales overall! I am doing a second run of it now. 

xMetroid said:
Shadow1980 said:

Like, ever?

That would be Pokemon Red/Green/Blue, which sold an estimated 10,230,000 copies in Japan according to Nintendo. The best-selling home console game is still Super Mario Bros., which sold an estimated 6,810,000 copies. The best-selling non-Nintendo game ever in Japan is Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, which according to Famitsu sold 4,835,761 copies. For home consoles, the best-selling non-Nintendo game was Final Fantasy VII, which sold 3,937,899 copies.

Blue was a seperate release so it doesn't count. I think Red/Green is around 8 millions. Don't think this is going to be easy but could end up happening. AC is probably close or over 4 millions right now in only 3 weeks and the franchise is known to have incredible legs.

It will probably surpass Super Mario Bros tho.

Can't we combine physical copies of Minecraft from different platforms? Didn't it sell more than a million copies on PSV, 3DS, Wii, PS3, PS4 & Switch?

Around the Network

Sooooo what y’all think about a crazy 7mil ship*digital AC in Japan by end of Q2?

Retail 2608k Q1 and maybe Q2 will be 1900k to make it 4.5mil (4.6mil-4.7mil shipped) and 2.3mil-2.4mil digital

7mil :p

hardware constraints, what are we, back in the wii era?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Top 10 First Half 2019 Switch Famitsu

1. Smash Ultimate - 779.845
  2. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe(2019) - 643.426
  3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 318.492
  4. Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu! / Let's Go, Eevee! - 312.278
  5. Minecraft - 305.640
  6. Super Mario Party - 284.170
  7. Splatoon 2 - 224.791
  8. Super Mario Maker 2(2019) - 196.153
  9. Yo-kai Watch 4: We Are Looking Up at the Same Sky(2019) - 191.097
  10. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 168.697

TOTAL: 3.424.589

TOP 10 2020 Switch Famitsu:

1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons(2020) - 3.031.784 
  2. Pokemon Sword / Shield - 565.407
  3. Ring Fit Adventure - 257.984
  4. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX(2020) - 226.950
  5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 196.092
  6. Minecraft - 194.945
  7. Smash Ultimate - 182.479
  8. Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch - 155.600
  9. Super Mario Party - 126.433
  10. Luigi's Mansion 3 - 120.799

TOTAL: 5.058.473(+48%)

With 12 Week left of this Quarter we are looking at substantial gains in terms of Software compared to first half of last year. 

Top 10 Titles are already 48% up YoY, thanks to potentially the biggest game in Japan of all time Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

• Animal Crossing could very well sell over >1M in the next 12 Weeks, bringing it's total physical sales over >4M by mid year

But the other thing to highlight: 

• Ring Fit Adventure continues to not show its true potential due to shortages, expecting at least 500-725K by mid year depending on stock
  • Pokemon Sword / Shield should be around 650-800K
  • Smash Ultimate, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe & Minecraft should all be over 300K
  • Two 2020 games are already in the Top 10, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon also makes it into the top 10, 275-300K by mid-year.
  • Super Mario Party, Splatoon 2 & Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training over 200K
  • Xenoblade Chronicles could make the Top 10

• Animal Crossing >4M
  • Pokemon Sword / Shield >650K
  • Ring Fit Adventure >600K
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Minecraft, Smash Ultimate, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon >275K
  • Super Mario Party >250K
  • Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles, Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training >200K

TOTAL >7M(+100%)

Overall there might be some other games I'm forgetting, but that's the most likely Top 10 by mid year. 

Trials of Mana being the one I can think of right now, but not too sure that could sell 200K on the Switch.

Top 10 Software Sales will be 100% up YoY minimum, since I think I might actually be underestimating Animal Crossing and Ring Fit Adventure as well as the boost other evergreen software will sell. But that's only if Nintendo can maintain Hardware supply during the next 12 weeks. I honestly think the average could easily be >75K Hardware Sales per week for then next 12 weeks. Thats a minimum of >900K Hardware for what is one of the slowest periods of the year in Japan in recent years. Last year they sold >426K for the same period, so 75K average would be a 111% increase YoY for Q2. Due to much higher sales MK8D, Minecraft, Smash, SMP, Splat 2 & many others will all end up sailing past my minimum predictions.  

Last edited by noshten - on 09 April 2020

Mar1217 said:
AC New Leaf is back on the charts ! If you can't get it on Switch, might as well go for what's left.

If Ring Fit Adventure stays harder to find than rooster teeth, maybe we'll see Wii Fit return to the charts... XD

lol at new leaf being back on the charts.
I mean, it wasthe last 3ds game to drop out of the charts(I think it only dropped off early last year) so.....