Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 14, 2020 (Mar 30 - Apr 05)

Jranation said:
konnichiwa said:
I wonder how many buy a second switch (Lite) for the children because they don't want each have their own island.

The ones that have plenty of money. 

Or a couple children and all want to play during the lockdown...

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
konnichiwa said:

Nintendo has suspended shipments of the Switch game console in Japan as the company became unable to keep up with rising demand due to supply chain disruptions caused by the coronavirus, Nikkei has learned.

No date was given for the shipments to resume. Shipments in the U.S. and Europe, where Nintendo still possesses inventory, will continue as normal.

The Switch is produced by contract manufacturers in China and Vietnam. Operations at their factories have "recovered to a certain point," a Nintendo source said, but have yet to return to full capacity. Nintendo said in early February that shipments of the Switch and certain games were being delayed.

Demand for game consoles has surged in Japan as more people stay home to avoid the coronavirus.

"We haven't been able to keep up the supply," said a source for the Japanese game company.

The Switch now sells for $500 to $700 on certain online platforms, roughly twice its recommended retail price.

About 830,000 Switch and Switch Lite systems were sold between Feb. 24 and March 29, bringing cumulative sales to over 13 million units, according to gaming magazine Famitsu.

I was waiting for a report like this.  Movie theaters in China are still closed, and people are currently emergency buying groceries there.  China hasn't recovered from the virus yet.  That means Switches will be in short supply until things fully improve in China.

They would reopen but choose to not do so, btw I am not sure movie theaters will reopen in the West, seems opening movie theaters will be one of the last measures taken. Ofcourse the detals of recovered to a certain point would be interesting.

Man AC showing Pokemon how it's fuckin done.

YNWA

Shadow1980 said:
fedfed said:
this will be the biggest Switch game in Japan ever.

what is the best selling Game in Japan (non bundled)?

Like, ever?

That would be Pokemon Red/Green/Blue, which sold an estimated 10,230,000 copies in Japan according to Nintendo. The best-selling home console game is still Super Mario Bros., which sold an estimated 6,810,000 copies. The best-selling non-Nintendo game ever in Japan is Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, which according to Famitsu sold 4,835,761 copies. For home consoles, the best-selling non-Nintendo game was Final Fantasy VII, which sold 3,937,899 copies.

Blue was a seperate release so it doesn't count. I think Red/Green is around 8 millions. Don't think this is going to be easy but could end up happening. AC is probably close or over 4 millions right now in only 3 weeks and the franchise is known to have incredible legs.

It will probably surpass Super Mario Bros tho.

Link_Nines.XBC said:

The way Animal Crossing is already close to surpassing Sword/Shield in physical sales

The better game will win. Wonder if Animal Crossing will outsell Pokemon in the west as well this might be the only game that has a chance at beating Kart.

Around the Network
xMetroid said:
Shadow1980 said:

Like, ever?

That would be Pokemon Red/Green/Blue, which sold an estimated 10,230,000 copies in Japan according to Nintendo. The best-selling home console game is still Super Mario Bros., which sold an estimated 6,810,000 copies. The best-selling non-Nintendo game ever in Japan is Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, which according to Famitsu sold 4,835,761 copies. For home consoles, the best-selling non-Nintendo game was Final Fantasy VII, which sold 3,937,899 copies.

Blue was a seperate release so it doesn't count. I think Red/Green is around 8 millions. Don't think this is going to be easy but could end up happening. AC is probably close or over 4 millions right now in only 3 weeks and the franchise is known to have incredible legs.

R/B/G are all one entry hence why Nintendo counts all their shipments as one and either way it doesn't matter too much as Blue wasn't available at retail in Japan so the 10m figure is all R/G. Nintendo's official shipments would have gen one at 10m plus.

Seems Smash Bros. is back above Pokemon. Wonder if this will continue and SSBU will win the battle between the 2 in Japan? Physical, at least.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

TruckOSaurus said:
Does anyone have the numbers for the first week of REMake 2? I'm curious to see how REMake 3 compares to it.

It's a shame we won't know more about the digital numbers for Animal Crossing for a while now with Nintendo's financial statement being pushed back.

I don't have numbers from Famitsu, but I do have numbers from Media Create. According to them, Resident Evil 2 sold 252,848 first week. 

Wyrdness said:
xMetroid said:

R/B/G are all one entry hence why Nintendo counts all their shipments as one and either way it doesn't matter too much as Blue wasn't available at retail in Japan so the 10m figure is all R/G. Nintendo's official shipments would have gen one at 10m plus.

Why do you say that Blue wasn´t available at retail? Blue is a separate game like Crystal to Gold & Silver. I don´t know why the count them together though :P

boypita said:
Wyrdness said:

Why do you say that Blue wasn´t available at retail? Blue is a separate game like Crystal to Gold & Silver. I don´t know why the count them together though :P

Probably to have the only game to sell 10 million in Japan.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"