By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 14, 2020 (Mar 30 - Apr 05)

Shadow1980 said:
fedfed said:
this will be the biggest Switch game in Japan ever.

what is the best selling Game in Japan (non bundled)?

Like, ever?

That would be Pokemon Red/Green/Blue, which sold an estimated 10,230,000 copies in Japan according to Nintendo. The best-selling home console game is still Super Mario Bros., which sold an estimated 6,810,000 copies. The best-selling non-Nintendo game ever in Japan is Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, which according to Famitsu sold 4,835,761 copies. For home consoles, the best-selling non-Nintendo game was Final Fantasy VII, which sold 3,937,899 copies.

Blue was a seperate release so it doesn't count. I think Red/Green is around 8 millions. Don't think this is going to be easy but could end up happening. AC is probably close or over 4 millions right now in only 3 weeks and the franchise is known to have incredible legs.

It will probably surpass Super Mario Bros tho.

Around the Network
Link_Nines.XBC said:

The way Animal Crossing is already close to surpassing Sword/Shield in physical sales

The better game will win. Wonder if Animal Crossing will outsell Pokemon in the west as well this might be the only game that has a chance at beating Kart.

xMetroid said:
Shadow1980 said:

Like, ever?

That would be Pokemon Red/Green/Blue, which sold an estimated 10,230,000 copies in Japan according to Nintendo. The best-selling home console game is still Super Mario Bros., which sold an estimated 6,810,000 copies. The best-selling non-Nintendo game ever in Japan is Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, which according to Famitsu sold 4,835,761 copies. For home consoles, the best-selling non-Nintendo game was Final Fantasy VII, which sold 3,937,899 copies.

Blue was a seperate release so it doesn't count. I think Red/Green is around 8 millions. Don't think this is going to be easy but could end up happening. AC is probably close or over 4 millions right now in only 3 weeks and the franchise is known to have incredible legs.

R/B/G are all one entry hence why Nintendo counts all their shipments as one and either way it doesn't matter too much as Blue wasn't available at retail in Japan so the 10m figure is all R/G. Nintendo's official shipments would have gen one at 10m plus.

Seems Smash Bros. is back above Pokemon. Wonder if this will continue and SSBU will win the battle between the 2 in Japan? Physical, at least.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

TruckOSaurus said:
Does anyone have the numbers for the first week of REMake 2? I'm curious to see how REMake 3 compares to it.

It's a shame we won't know more about the digital numbers for Animal Crossing for a while now with Nintendo's financial statement being pushed back.

I don't have numbers from Famitsu, but I do have numbers from Media Create. According to them, Resident Evil 2 sold 252,848 first week. 

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
xMetroid said:

R/B/G are all one entry hence why Nintendo counts all their shipments as one and either way it doesn't matter too much as Blue wasn't available at retail in Japan so the 10m figure is all R/G. Nintendo's official shipments would have gen one at 10m plus.

Why do you say that Blue wasn´t available at retail? Blue is a separate game like Crystal to Gold & Silver. I don´t know why the count them together though :P

boypita said:
Wyrdness said:

Why do you say that Blue wasn´t available at retail? Blue is a separate game like Crystal to Gold & Silver. I don´t know why the count them together though :P

Probably to have the only game to sell 10 million in Japan.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

boypita said:
Wyrdness said:

Because Blue wasn't available at retail it was only available via special order if you were a Corocoro subscriber you couldn't buy it in shops Blue is more a limited edition in Japan than a separate release which is why Nintendo counts them together and why Blue was sort after in Japan. Yellow is more like Crystal being a third version Blue is not really a third version it's a limited edition of R/G, in the west Blue replaced Green and was a standard edition but then that was 2 years after Japan.

Edit: It seems a retail version came around 99/2000 almost 4 years later.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 08 April 2020

Wyrdness said:
boypita said:

Because Blue wasn't available at retail it was only available via special order if you were a Corocoro subscriber you couldn't buy it in shops Blue is more a limited edition in Japan than a separate release which is why Nintendo counts them together and why Blue was sort after in Japan. Yellow is more like Crystal being a third version Blue is not really a third version it's a limited edition of R/G, in the west Blue replaced Green and was a standard edition but then that was 2 years after Japan.

Edit: It seems a retail version came around 99/2000 almost 4 years later.

I didn´t know that :O thanks for the data ;)

RE 3 remake sold 100k less than 2 opening week at retail maybe because of coronavirus so more people are buying it digitally