By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lithium VS AA in controllers?

I prefer...

AA. 19 29.23%

Lithium. 46 70.77%

Total:65
TheBraveGallade said:
Azzanation said:
AA's because you can buy a play and charge kit so that way if your batteries die, they can be easily replaced instead of replacing the entire controller.
Options = Good.

options are good, but honestly one time use alkalines should be banned lol. they make WAY too much toxic waste.

everyone should use NiMH rechargable AA/AAAs honestly.

one thing I wish was possible is the switch pro controller having removable batteries. its not like cell phones where they just put in a pouch where it being removable would be unsafe: its a LITERAL OG 3ds battery stuck in it

I have to use 1-time use Alkalines for my Intrinsically safe torches. (Can't use Lithium obviously, unless you want something exploding on your helmet and chest in 600-1,000C~ temperatures!) and NiMH doesn't have the operating voltage to give me max brightness.

And I need to use 1.5v Lithium Cells for all my pagers, they don't seem to enjoy the 1.2v operating voltage of the NiMH cells.

But my Nintendo Switch PowerA Breath of the Wild Gold controller, Xbox 360 controllers, Xbox One controllers, household remote controls for TV/Sound System/Clocks all have no issues with the NiMH cells.

I did actually buy play and charge Lithium packs for all my Xbox 360 controllers, but over time lithium fails... So just binned them and went back to using NiMH AA.

In my opinion Microsoft has made the choice that keeps both camps happy, however... They should include a lithium Play and Charge kit with every controller as well as retain AA battery support.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

I prefer rechargeable AA as eventually they die, they are easy to replace. No disassembly required.

This WAS an extremely close battle. At one point, it was tied at like 8 to 8. Then 17 to 18. Since then, there's been an explosion of Lithium supporters.

So at this point, I assume Lithium wins--which is cool. But one thing is apparent: There's definitely still a market for AA batteries in controllers.

mZuzek loves Smeags. 😢

Let's be honest, PlayStation isn't good with their controller battery life. The true lithium ba AA comparison is switch pro vs Xbone and by far, switch beats Xbone in my opinion on that front. The battery is just a 3ds one that lasts for so damn long and is one of the easiest lithium batteries to replace. All of the advantages of AA are gone with the sort of setup switch has. And the controller takes ages to die. I don't see any advantage to AA once you look at her pro controller

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Eagle367 said:
Let's be honest, PlayStation isn't good with their controller battery life. The true lithium ba AA comparison is switch pro vs Xbone and by far, switch beats Xbone in my opinion on that front. The battery is just a 3ds one that lasts for so damn long and is one of the easiest lithium batteries to replace. All of the advantages of AA are gone with the sort of setup switch has. And the controller takes ages to die. I don't see any advantage to AA once you look at her pro controller

I never even considered battery size. I just knew the Nintendo controllers lasted forever (aside from the Wii U game pad). Now, I know why.

mZuzek loves Smeags. 😢

Around the Network
Athaba said:
Lithium. To change from 360 with new batteries every few days to Ps3 was a blast. I have a charging station for Ps3 and Ps4, they load over night and I never had to worry about it anymore. (I always have 2 controllers (for couch coop), so if I really play that much on a single day I just change from controller A to controller B, but that nearly never happened.I could not imagine to go back to AA.

I don't have a station for the controllers, but I always let one charging while I use the other and even when co-op is needed probably both will be fully charged.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Eagle367 said:

If we are talking about easiness to replace them PSP and PSVita batteries should also be considered, quite easy, not that expensive and chargeable on the USB.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Eagle367 said:

If we are talking about easiness to replace them PSP and PSVita batteries should also be considered, quite easy, not that expensive and chargeable on the USB.

Basically no one likes AA, they just like being able to change their batteries easily and for them to last long. If lithium does that, no one will choose AA.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

I have a third party AA-powered Switch controller and a Switch Pro controller. The Pro runs circles around the AA-powered controller in battery life, even though the AA-powered one doesn't feature rumble where the SP controller features HD rumble. If I can avoid having to feed my stuff new batteries, all the better. With my controllers, the sticks have worn out long before the rechargeable batteries did.

also a point to point out here: people say the batteries wear out: but the controllers would probably wear out/break before the battery goes below 70% original capacity.... especially with the switch/wiiU pros considering how LONG the cycle is. still wish the switch pro controller batteries were removable though. unlike DS4 which probably just has a pouch for a battery, the swith pro has a fully encased, hard battery. no reason to not make it removable