By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lithium VS AA in controllers?

I prefer...

AA. 19 29.23%

Lithium. 46 70.77%

Total:65

I used to spend at least $20.oo bucks per year on disposable double AA's during my time playing on the 360 last gen. Switched to playing PlayStation this gen and found that the DS4's equipped lithium battery has been super convenient and has also saved me enough money to buy an extra game to play, to what would of otherwise of been battery money.

Around the Network

Lithium.

I have had AA last longer though. Choice is what's best.

nintendo has the right approch when it come to batteries.

Lithium, but HUGE capacity, even on the fucking joycons they last 20 hours at base, meaning even at 50% efficiency downthe line its 10 hours pf playtime, perfectly acceptable. then you have the pro controller, which sticks in an ENTIRE 3ds battery for 40 hours.

to be fair, the wii U pro controller does the same thing, but with less features at 80?! hours of battery life.

I would prefer a wiimote style aproach for staanderd size controllers though. easier to swap a new one in, even another rechargable pak.

John2290 said:

I just really wanna see the poll results but lets discuss, Lithium or AA? Even if the charge time on the lithium is aas short and degrades as fast as it does on the DS4.

Is it worth swapping out rechargeable AA's for the extra time or is the lithium to convenient as solution for todays day and age even with the draw backs?

I'm a lithium man but I'd much prefer we pushed past into a universal lithium battery pack of differing sizes for devices like this to fill the roll AA once had. I hate that I have a stack of ps4 controllers and I can't use any of them for more than a half hour without a cord. 

We do have a standardized lithium cell sizes.
See here:

Wman1996 said:
Lithium. It's nice to have an easily accessible battery compartment, but AAs suck to throw out/recycle and buy. If the Xbox controllers included a rechargeable battery pack for free, I wouldn't complain about them using AA batteries.

Why not buy some Nickel-Metal Hydride rechargeable AA's? Or even lithium-based AA batteries which can be recharged via their built in micro-USB port?

ironmanDX said:
Lithium.

I have had AA last longer though. Choice is what's best.

I have high-capacity 2700Mah NiMH cells... And I will get more runtime than the PS4, WiiU or Switch controllers. When they go flat, I swap them out for a new set and get back to gaming, no crappy cables to deal with, no docking.

Plus I intend to keep my consoles for decades, it's nice to know I will still be able to use those controllers wirelessly just fine.

d21lewis said:

All of that previous post nonsense just to say either method is cool. I like the option to change or purchase a rechargeable swappable battery. Mainly because I worry about lithium batteries eventually failing. Happened too many times with my mobile phone and my PS Move controllers.

And yes, I have had a few rechargeable battery packs fail and even some rechargeable batteries that no longer held a charge--but they're not too expensive and AA batteries will be here 20 years from now.

It's not a matter of if they fail... But when. Batteries are only good for a finite amount of charge cycles.

TheBraveGallade said:
nintendo has the right approch when it come to batteries.

Lithium, but HUGE capacity, even on the fucking joycons they last 20 hours at base, meaning even at 50% efficiency downthe line its 10 hours pf playtime, perfectly acceptable. then you have the pro controller, which sticks in an ENTIRE 3ds battery for 40 hours.

to be fair, the wii U pro controller does the same thing, but with less features at 80?! hours of battery life.

I would prefer a wiimote style aproach for staanderd size controllers though. easier to swap a new one in, even another rechargable pak.

WiiU gamepads battery life was woeful to be honest... At 3600mAh the fact it gets the battery life it does is impressive, likely a result of only having a 480P display and no real internal processing.

Wouldn't be so bad if I could say... Turn off the screen while playing on the Television though.

Nintendo's battery sizes are not "huge" either, Switch's Joycons are only 525mAh, 3DS was only 1300mAh, the Switch's internal battery is 4310mAh which is fairly capacious, but phones today are beating that by 25% or more.

I have a Breath of the Wild PowerA controller for my Switch which runs with 2x AA batteries... Yet to go flat yet.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 05 April 2020

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I prefer controllers to use swappable, standard batteries. In most cases, you can get the play and charge kits, or you can use normal batteries. So, it gives you more options. Plus, as long as you have batteries around, you never have to go more than a few seconds without a working controller, and you never are forced to plug in.

Around the Network

What is AA? Well, I have a lot of eneloops, so I won't be bothered.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
What is AA? Well, I have a lot of eneloops, so I won't be bothered.

Yeah, I have eneloops in my two XBO pads (one for PC, one for the Xbox), in my Oculus Touch controllers and in most of my remote controls (a lot of them).

At least 6 AA-eneloops and 2 AAA-eneloops are always charged and switched in less than a minute.

On PS3 or PS4 you need to play with a cable connected when the battery runs dry (i hate that) or you need a second controller which is charged.

And for PSVR games with PS Move controls, using a cable is even less an option. I had to break the short game "Blood & Truth" into three sessions so my old PS Move controllers could recharge between them. 

Lithium batteries are great for devices which have to be thin (smartphones, tablets, handhelds)... but game controllers don't have to be that thin.

I chose AA. Not because I actually like AA batteries better, but I think the convenience of swappable batteries are something that a lot of people don't consider. Even if the PS4 simply had a swappable lithium battery it would solve a lot of my issues with it.

Here is an example: The other day I wanted to play Smash with a buddy, but my Pro controller wasn't charged. Typically I charge it once or twice a week, but I must have forgotten. Instead I had to stay tethered to the Switch unit to charge the controller. It wasn't the biggest of deals, but my cord isn't that long and I was afraid I would tip the unit over (it's a new animal crossing switch and I don't have a screen protector yet). If the battery would be swappable, I could buy another one for 10-15$ and just swap that in. It would have been very simple and convenient.

That being said, I don't like the idea of stockpiling AA batteries that aren't rechargeable. I did that with the Wii and it was not fun.

I got a rechargeable AA batteries that cost like $20. When they're low I just need to charge them for 30mins and im good for the most of the day. When i charge them overnight im good for the week.

mZuzek said:
Voted AA in the poll.

Because brainfart. Obviously lithium is the better option. It's not even close, and not even far for that matter. Not comparable at all. AA batteries just fucking suck and they should've never made it into the 2010's, never mind still talking about them in 2020.

Closet AA lover, obviously.