By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lithium VS AA in controllers?

I prefer...

AA. 19 29.23%

Lithium. 46 70.77%

Total:65

I use power bank for my Xbox One controller. Hahahaha xD

Steam ID: Quakecore89 / GOG: AMDFX89 / Xbox Live Tag: QUAKEcore89 / NS: SW-7937-5976-6855

Current PC: (Ryzen 5 5600X(placeholder)/32GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM/RTX 3060(placeholder)/Crucial 250GB SATA M.2+Corsair 1TB NVMe)

Around the Network

I don't want to use AA batteries for anything in 2020. (I didn't in 2010 either)

PS4(PS5 Soon)and PC gaming

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

I would own so many dead controllers if lithium batteries were built into them. Thankfully they will always work with AA batteries.
I'm using play and charge kits for my Xbox controllers (not expensive at all) and they last for about 30 hours per charge. I have one that is pretty much dead (lasts maybe 2 hours) due to heavy usage. Totally expected result and yet still enough to be used on my 2nd controller.

I do not want to deal with having to buy new batteries and swap them out. Even if they're rechargeable (outside of the controller) I don't want to deal with that either. I have a USB extension cable so I just plug it in whenever I'm low on battery.

Last edited by Hiku - on 09 April 2020

Barozi said:
I would own so many dead controllers if lithium batteries were built into them. Thankfully they will always work with AA batteries.
I'm using play and charge kits for my Xbox controllers (not expensive at all) and they last for about 30 hours per charge. I have one that is pretty much dead (lasts maybe 2 hours) due to heavy usage. Totally expected result and yet still enough to be used on my 2nd controller.

This is so strange, I have 3 PS3 and 3 PS4 controllers that I never had any issue with the batteries. About 5 PSMove and 2 navigators also without issues. The only battery I had issue with was the one on PSP that because it was left without use for some years it swollen and I had to replace, took time to find one of the same form factor, but replacing was quite easy. Never had to replace a battery on the controllers, but had to clean them once or twice and was quite easy to dissassemble if I had to swap a battery after 5 years of use.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Barozi said:

This is so strange, I have 3 PS3 and 3 PS4 controllers that I never had any issue with the batteries. About 5 PSMove and 2 navigators also without issues. The only battery I had issue with was the one on PSP that because it was left without use for some years it swollen and I had to replace, took time to find one of the same form factor, but replacing was quite easy. Never had to replace a battery on the controllers, but had to clean them once or twice and was quite easy to dissassemble if I had to swap a battery after 5 years of use.

It just depends on how much you use them and how you're charging them (charging from 0% all the way to 100% is the worst you can do). Even if yours aren't dead you should notice a significant drop in battery life. I have to switch lithium batteries every 2-5 years. Doesn't really matter if it's controllers, laptops, tablets or smartphones.

Barozi said:
DonFerrari said:

It just depends on how much you use them and how you're charging them (charging from 0% all the way to 100% is the worst you can do). Even if yours aren't dead you should notice a significant drop in battery life. I have to switch lithium batteries every 2-5 years. Doesn't really matter if it's controllers, laptops, tablets or smartphones.

I game about 30-40 hours a week on a regular week. And have been using these controllers for all this time without swapping batteries and almost ever 0 to 100 charges. The battery life is still enough for probably 6h or more straight play and since I keep one charging/charged while the other is in use I have 0 downtime. When it happens that co-op is needed and one drained out or my son took the control to use on the other PS4 I just plug on the outlet 1ft to my side and being wired becomes a 0 issue for me.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Barozi said:

I game about 30-40 hours a week on a regular week. And have been using these controllers for all this time without swapping batteries and almost ever 0 to 100 charges. The battery life is still enough for probably 6h or more straight play and since I keep one charging/charged while the other is in use I have 0 downtime. When it happens that co-op is needed and one drained out or my son took the control to use on the other PS4 I just plug on the outlet 1ft to my side and being wired becomes a 0 issue for me.

Well it's not really a surprise when you keep switching controllers (and thus batteries). The situation would probably look quite different if you used only one. I always have a primary controller (on 360 the one with the faceplate and on X1 the revised controller that came with the X).

Barozi said:
DonFerrari said:

Well it's not really a surprise when you keep switching controllers (and thus batteries). The situation would probably look quite different if you used only one. I always have a primary controller (on 360 the one with the faceplate and on X1 the revised controller that came with the X).

Considering some are saying they had 5 DS replaced because of battery, or that my PS3 control survived 12 years without issue. And even cycling the controllers I probably had like 500 cycles of charge on each and 0 issue so far. So I really can't say the battery is an issue.

John2290 said:
DonFerrari said:

Before the pandemic? On a regular weekly basis throughout the year? How? How do you mange to get 40 hours a week for gaming? 

Priorities =]

During pandemic I could probably double it or even get 100h a week.

Barozi said:
DonFerrari said:

I have a day One controller for PS4 still works like a charm and i never had problems thinking about the duration of battery, and its always 100 to 0 and recharge while playing, same for 2 PS3 controllers.