By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Staring into the abyss of a world where Nintendo has no games scheduled for release. Edit: The Time of Darkness Has Arrived

The_Liquid_Laser said:

The phrase "Nintendo has had a disappointing year so far" is really code for "I personally don't like Animal Crossing".

Is it, though?

I love Animal Crossing. New Horizons is probably one of my favorite games ever. But this year has been disappointing so far, and the next five months are really barren and uncertain for first-party games. 

We got Tokyo Mirage (Wii U port), Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (A remake of a GBA/DS title), Animal Crossing, Xenoblade Chronicles (A remake of a game that was previously remade on New 3DS), Clubhouse Games, and Paper Mario. 

Bravely Default II is coming out later this year at some point, but it's not really first-party. There's no way Metroid Prime 4 comes out this year, Bayonetta 3 likely won't come out, and the Breath of the Wild sequel likely won't come out this year either.

If this was a line-up for a Nintendo home console, or handheld that wouldn't be disappointing at all. But Switch is a hybrid and the unified focus of Nintendo. When you put that in perspective, the year is a big let-down. Also keep in mind that Animal Crossing was supposed to launch in 2019, so that makes 2020 seem even more barren when its biggest game was delayed from last year.

August is only about a week away and we know very little about the rest of Nintendo's 2020. We don't even have any first-party games confirmed for a 2021 release date. Usually we would know that by June. 

Honestly the best we can hope for are the rumored Mario remasters, and maybe some kind of Mario spin-off or small scale-title.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

Wman1996 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

The phrase "Nintendo has had a disappointing year so far" is really code for "I personally don't like Animal Crossing".

Is it, though?

I love Animal Crossing. New Horizons is probably one of my favorite games ever. But this year has been disappointing so far, and the next five months are really barren and uncertain for first-party games. 

We got Tokyo Mirage (Wii U port), Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (A remake of a GBA/DS title), Animal Crossing, Xenoblade Chronicles (A remake of a game that was previously remade on New 3DS), Clubhouse Games, and Paper Mario. 

Bravely Default II is coming out later this year at some point, but it's not really first-party. There's no way Metroid Prime 4 comes out this year, Bayonetta 3 likely won't come out, and the Breath of the Wild sequel likely won't come out this year either.

If this was a line-up for a Nintendo home console, or handheld that wouldn't be disappointing at all. But Switch is a hybrid and the unified focus of Nintendo. When you put that in perspective, the year is a big let-down. Also keep in mind that Animal Crossing was supposed to launch in 2019, so that makes 2020 seem even more barren when its biggest game was delayed from last year.

August is only about a week away and we know very little about the rest of Nintendo's 2020. We don't even have any first-party games confirmed for a 2021 release date. Usually we would know that by June. 

Honestly the best we can hope for are the rumored Mario remasters, and maybe some kind of Mario spin-off or small scale-title.

I get that the lack of announcements is disappointing.  But how do the games that have actually been released so far compare to 2018 or 2019?  Here is what we've gotten from Nintendo so far this year, and we'll compare that to the January to July period of 2018 and 2019.

Tokyo Mirage
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
Animal Crossing
Good Job!
Xenoblade Chronicles
Clubhouse Games
Paper Mario

Bayonetta 2
Kirby Star Allies
LABO
Hyrule Warriors
DK Tropical Freeze
Mario Tennis Aces
Captain Toad 

NSMB U
Yoshi's Crafted World
Fire Emblem
Cadence of Hyrule
Mario Maker 2
Marvel UA3

The number of games released each year is about the same, roughly one per month.  But 2020 has Animal Crossing.  That is a huge tentpole game, much bigger than anything released in 2018 or 2019 during the first 7 months.  That is why I say "disappointing" really means "I don't like Animal Crossing".  Animal Crossing is objectively a huge game.  It's not like Nintendo hasn't released anything.  It's just that some people don't like the games released this year.  So far 2020 stacks up better than 2018 or 2019, but that is mostly because of Animal Crossing.  

The disappointing part is not actually lack of games.  It's lack of announcements.  At this point, I am disappointed by the lack of announcements too.  They should, at the very least, tell us when the next Direct is.  And it's true that we normally get an E3 Direct by this point.  However, lack of games isn't the problem.  I get that some people may not like the games that have been released so far this year, but that is totally based on taste.  Objectively, 2020 has been a better year than 2018 and 2019 so far.  When people are saying that it's disappointing, I mostly conclude that they don't like Animal Crossing.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Wman1996 said:

Is it, though?

I get that the lack of announcements is disappointing.  But how do the games that have actually been released so far compare to 2018 or 2019?  Here is what we've gotten from Nintendo so far this year, and we'll compare that to the January to July period of 2018 and 2019.

Tokyo Mirage
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
Animal Crossing
Good Job!
Xenoblade Chronicles
Clubhouse Games
Paper Mario

Bayonetta 2
Kirby Star Allies
LABO
Hyrule Warriors
DK Tropical Freeze
Mario Tennis Aces
Captain Toad 

NSMB U
Yoshi's Crafted World
Fire Emblem
Cadence of Hyrule
Mario Maker 2
Marvel UA3

The number of games released each year is about the same, roughly one per month.  But 2020 has Animal Crossing.  That is a huge tentpole game, much bigger than anything released in 2018 or 2019 during the first 7 months.  That is why I say "disappointing" really means "I don't like Animal Crossing".  Animal Crossing is objectively a huge game.  It's not like Nintendo hasn't released anything.  It's just that some people don't like the games released this year.  So far 2020 stacks up better than 2018 or 2019, but that is mostly because of Animal Crossing.  

The disappointing part is not actually lack of games.  It's lack of announcements.  At this point, I am disappointed by the lack of announcements too.  They should, at the very least, tell us when the next Direct is.  And it's true that we normally get an E3 Direct by this point.  However, lack of games isn't the problem.  I get that some people may not like the games that have been released so far this year, but that is totally based on taste.  Objectively, 2020 has been a better year than 2018 and 2019 so far.  When people are saying that it's disappointing, I mostly conclude that they don't like Animal Crossing.

This has really put things into perspective for me. This year has been great for releases. Just as good as others looking at this list. It really just ends up being the lack of future title release dates. There is still a ton to look forward to, just no concrete dates, but I understand why...

BOTW2
MP4
NMH3
Bayo3
BD2
SMT5

I may be missing some, but just writing the ones that are in development right now make me excited!

1doesnotsimply

mZuzek said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

The disappointing part is not actually lack of games.  It's lack of announcements.

Every Switch owner just needs to buy the new Xbox and it'll balance out perfectly.

MasonADC said:

I was thinking the same thing lol some people really have forgotten how bad some of the Wii U years were

Trust me, I have not forgotten.

But in Wii U's 2014 we got Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.

In Wii U's 2015 we got Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Fatal Frame 5, Fast Racing Neo, and Yoshi's Woolly World.

2020 doesn't look like it will match much less exceed either of those years.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 23 July 2020

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
MasonADC said:

I was thinking the same thing lol some people really have forgotten how bad some of the Wii U years were

But in Wii U's 2014 we got Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.

In Wii U's 2015 we got Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Fatal Frame 5, Fast Racing Neo, and Yoshi's Woolly World.

Don't forget Mario Maker in 2015 and Smash Bros in 2014, two huge games

javi741 said:
curl-6 said:

Those I wouldn't really rate as all that good, but if we're going to count Animal Crossing for this year, which I also don't, then that does make it a fairer comparison.

In either case, Switch's 2020 is on track to finish well behind Wii U's 2014 and 2015.

curl-6 said:
javi741 said:

Those I wouldn't really rate as all that good, but if we're going to count Animal Crossing for this year, which I also don't, then that does make it a fairer comparison.

In either case, Switch's 2020 is on track to finish well behind Wii U's 2014 and 2015.

If we were to compare Nintendo's 2020 YTD compared to 2015/2014 YTD I would still say Nintendo's 2020 is better despite how quiet it's been, let's compare them YTD:

2020 YTD: Animal Crossing,51 Clubhouse Games, Paper Mario Origami King ,Xenoblade Remaster, Pokemon Mystery Duengon, and we also got pretty big 3rd Party Switch games as well unlike the Wii U where the Wii U didn't get shit besides Just Dance and Skylanders. Switch got the Bioshock,Borderlands, Xcom Collections, Burnout Paradise, ECT....

2014 YTD:Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, and that's all pretty much. I guess you could include the Lego Movie game if you want to but that's being generous

2015 YTD:Kirby & The Rainbow Curse,Mario Party 10, Splatoon

It's all up to you whether you think 2020 was worse than 2014 & 2015 Wii U so far based off of the games released. However, objectively speaking in terms of game output 2020 been better than 2014/2015 YTD so far. So I wouldn't say this year is worse than the Wii U's.

javi741 said:
curl-6 said:

If we were to compare Nintendo's 2020 YTD compared to 2015/2014 YTD I would still say Nintendo's 2020 is better despite how quiet it's been, let's compare them YTD:

2020 YTD: Animal Crossing,51 Clubhouse Games, Paper Mario Origami King ,Xenoblade Remaster, Pokemon Mystery Duengon, and we also got pretty big 3rd Party Switch games as well unlike the Wii U where the Wii U didn't get shit besides Just Dance and Skylanders. Switch got the Bioshock,Borderlands, Xcom Collections, Burnout Paradise, ECT....

2014 YTD:Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, and that's all pretty much. I guess you could include the Lego Movie game if you want to but that's being generous

2015 YTD:Kirby & The Rainbow Curse,Mario Party 10, Splatoon

It's all up to you whether you think 2020 was worse than 2014 & 2015 Wii U so far based off of the games released. However, objectively speaking in terms of game output 2020 been better than 2014/2015 YTD so far. So I wouldn't say this year is worse than the Wii U's.

Quantity is objective, but quality isn't.

Sure, Switch has gotten dusty previous gen ports/remasters and low quality filler like Clubhouse, but in terms of high quality original content, it's got nothing on the tier of Mario Kart 8, Tropical Freeze or Splatoon 1.

This thread deserves the most overly melodramatic thread of the year award.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.