By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Staring into the abyss of a world where Nintendo has no games scheduled for release. Edit: The Time of Darkness Has Arrived

curl-6 said:
Jumpin said:

It's usual for Nintendo to announce their big games in late spring around E3. It's unusual for them to announce them 3 months earlier than that. And fans aren't starved, they're literally buying up games and consoles in record numbers, despite a pandemic occurring.

If you're satisfied with a barren schedule fine, but don't expect me to be happy with having nothing concrete to look forward to.

But that's not true. There are almost 50 games scheduled on the EShop for the next week alone. And Nintendo reveals between 30 and 70 new games every week. There has never been a point in Nintendo's history when their schedules have been this rich with content.

While you may not be looking forward to anything, that doesn't make the "barren schedule" statement true. If we're looking at things objectively, not only do we see this Q4 with perhaps the largest lineup of games ever for a Q4 of any Nintendo system, but also, potentially, the highest Q4 sales for any Nintendo console ever; the standing record is Wii with 34 million set in both Fy10 and 11. And while Nintendo hasn't revealed most of Q1 Fy21 schedule, it's certain that several hundred games will release in the period, and that software sales will potentially break Nintendo's previous record set by the Wii Fy11 of 31 million software units sold.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 26 March 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
Jumpin said:

It's usual for Nintendo to announce their big games in late spring around E3. It's unusual for them to announce them 3 months earlier than that.

There's really no truth in that.  The only games I can think of with any significance that Nintendo's announced at or around E3 is Super Mario Party and Mario + Rabbids at Ubisoft's event.  Oh, and I suppose the Metroid 2 remake for the 3DS.

Most of the announcements happen at the beginning of the year or sometime the previous year.  Smash Ultimate's early-March announcement is the latest in the year we've seen for one of their tent pole games recently.

There is, you just have a poor memory. Off the top of my head, Breath of the Wild 1 and 2 were announced at E3, and Animal Crossing was first shown at E3. And that's just recent. Nintendo has a long history of announcing much of their big stuff during the late spring/early summer within the month leading up to E3 or at the show itself.



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

curl-6 said:
Dante9 said:
I think it's silly to try and sustain oneself with first party stuff only. No company these days can churn out games fast enough for that.

Who's trying to sustain themselves on first party stuff only?

Guess I took the dramatic topic of the thread too literally then.



Jumpin said:
curl-6 said:

If you're satisfied with a barren schedule fine, but don't expect me to be happy with having nothing concrete to look forward to.

But that's not true. There are almost 50 games scheduled on the EShop for the next week alone. And Nintendo reveals between 30 and 70 new games every week. There has never been a point in Nintendo's history when their schedules have been this rich with content.

I'm not talking about the shovelware that releases day in day out on the eshop, i mean real, full fledged, quality games.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Jumpin said:
curl-6 said:

If you're satisfied with a barren schedule fine, but don't expect me to be happy with having nothing concrete to look forward to.

But that's not true. There are almost 50 games scheduled on the EShop for the next week alone. And Nintendo reveals between 30 and 70 new games every week. There has never been a point in Nintendo's history when their schedules have been this rich with content.

While you may not be looking forward to anything, that doesn't make the "barren schedule" statement true. If we're looking at things objectively, not only do we see this Q4 with perhaps the largest lineup of games ever for a Q4 of any Nintendo system, but also, potentially, the highest Q4 sales for any Nintendo console ever; the standing record is Wii with 34 million set in both Fy10 and 11. And while Nintendo hasn't revealed most of Q1 Fy21 schedule, it's certain that several hundred games will release in the period, and that software sales will potentially break Nintendo's previous record set by the Wii Fy11 of 31 million software units sold.

Honestly in December the discussion on many sites including Nintendo fans discussions people were wondering what games will release in the first half of 2020. Animal crossing a delayed game was the only one but everyone seemed positive because hey a direct will come January maybe February and announce some games and probably DLC for some big releases.  January/February discussions basically exist of ; 'Where is the Nintendo direct? I just buy some games to kill the time but all I really look forward to is Animal crossing'  A sentiment we also saw on youtube.     

The Switch is a huge succesfull console but Curl-6 sentiment is maybe exaggerated but certainly not uncommon.  At this point it starts to feel they delayed Animal Crossing to have atleast a big game in the first half of the year.   How would people have felt now if Animal crossing released last November/December? 

For someone who likes games and Nintendo I hope I get quoted in 5 minutes because Nintendo just announced a general direct and announces a ton of games.






Around the Network
Farsala said:
SpokenTruth said:
In case some of you haven't noticed, there is a global pandemic and economic crisis going on. Scheduling a major Nintendo Direct production and its distribution along with developing and scheduling the release of games are subject to some very major changes.

By saying Nintendo doesn't care about you by not having a ND when you want it, you are saying you don't care about Nintendo employees.

Kai_Mao said:

I don't even know if Nintendo employees are even permitted to come back to their respective offices in Tokyo or Kyoto right now.

Koizumi and Takahashi usually host the Directs from a green screen, which is likely in their offices. Can they do that at their respective homes in a professional manner?

Plus, as Sakurai even described, trying to talk and meet with third party developers is tough right now as no one can travel to other offices. If Sakurai can't even get Fighter Pass Vol. 2 done as scheduled, how could Nintendo get confirmed release dates and progress of games from their studios and their third party partners in a timely manner? Hell, pretty much all of the indie games from Indie World (which was all voice overs and people mostly outside of Japan presenting from their respective offices) had release windows. And that presentation was probably done before Nintendo of America allowed their staff from California and Washington to work at home.

Believe it or not Japan is not taking this pandemic thing seriously at all. Other than people with a lowly job such as myself, everyone is going to work as normal. People are still having large parties in public and going cherry blossom sightseeing. Of course there are significantly less people due to the tourists from Asia disappearing. I go to the gym and it is just as active as usual, if not more. So while the western/ 3rd party side might be more difficult, the Japan side isn't.

I stand corrected then. Though it does make me wonder then why can’t Sakurai continue development of Fighter Pass Vol. 2 due to not being able to present his proposed content to developers if we are going by what you are saying? He said the virus has made an impact in Japan so something feels off. Maybe video game developers are different because Nintendo not only has to worry about its own studios, but also getting agreements on games with third party developers, both Western and Japanese.

Though it’s interesting now that you mentioned life in Japan because things could get interesting for the people there. Especially if there’s fear of an increase of the infection in Japan.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/03/ab16686fb818-urgent-govt-panel-says-coronavirus-infections-feared-rampant-in-japan.html



The fiscal year ends March 31, right? I think there will be a Nintendo Direct in April.



They missed my birthday, so I don't care anymore.

Already ordered Two Point Hospital to care for my wounds.
If only Amazon would ship it already!!!

Last edited by TomaTito - on 26 March 2020

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Kai_Mao said:
Farsala said:

Believe it or not Japan is not taking this pandemic thing seriously at all. Other than people with a lowly job such as myself, everyone is going to work as normal. People are still having large parties in public and going cherry blossom sightseeing. Of course there are significantly less people due to the tourists from Asia disappearing. I go to the gym and it is just as active as usual, if not more. So while the western/ 3rd party side might be more difficult, the Japan side isn't.

I stand corrected then. Though it does make me wonder then why can’t Sakurai continue development of Fighter Pass Vol. 2 due to not being able to present his proposed content to developers if we are going by what you are saying? He said the virus has made an impact in Japan so something feels off. Maybe video game developers are different because Nintendo not only has to worry about its own studios, but also getting agreements on games with third party developers, both Western and Japanese.

Though it’s interesting now that you mentioned life in Japan because things could get interesting for the people there. Especially if there’s fear of an increase of the infection in Japan.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/03/ab16686fb818-urgent-govt-panel-says-coronavirus-infections-feared-rampant-in-japan.html

Similarly.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/03/14fb6e803d74-feature-japan-struggling-to-get-a-grip-on-social-distancing.html

Though I suppose it does depend on the prefecture, Tokyo finally got a bit more serious recently.



In all fairness, I did say Curl could put out a tantrum last week if nothing was announced ....



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909