By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Staring into the abyss of a world where Nintendo has no games scheduled for release. Edit: The Time of Darkness Has Arrived

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Wman1996 said:

Is it, though?

I love Animal Crossing. New Horizons is probably one of my favorite games ever. But this year has been disappointing so far, and the next five months are really barren and uncertain for first-party games. 

We got Tokyo Mirage (Wii U port), Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (A remake of a GBA/DS title), Animal Crossing, Xenoblade Chronicles (A remake of a game that was previously remade on New 3DS), Clubhouse Games, and Paper Mario. 

Bravely Default II is coming out later this year at some point, but it's not really first-party. There's no way Metroid Prime 4 comes out this year, Bayonetta 3 likely won't come out, and the Breath of the Wild sequel likely won't come out this year either.

If this was a line-up for a Nintendo home console, or handheld that wouldn't be disappointing at all. But Switch is a hybrid and the unified focus of Nintendo. When you put that in perspective, the year is a big let-down. Also keep in mind that Animal Crossing was supposed to launch in 2019, so that makes 2020 seem even more barren when its biggest game was delayed from last year.

August is only about a week away and we know very little about the rest of Nintendo's 2020. We don't even have any first-party games confirmed for a 2021 release date. Usually we would know that by June. 

Honestly the best we can hope for are the rumored Mario remasters, and maybe some kind of Mario spin-off or small scale-title.

I get that the lack of announcements is disappointing.  But how do the games that have actually been released so far compare to 2018 or 2019?  Here is what we've gotten from Nintendo so far this year, and we'll compare that to the January to July period of 2018 and 2019.

Tokyo Mirage
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
Animal Crossing
Good Job!
Xenoblade Chronicles
Clubhouse Games
Paper Mario

Bayonetta 2
Kirby Star Allies
LABO
Hyrule Warriors
DK Tropical Freeze
Mario Tennis Aces
Captain Toad 

NSMB U
Yoshi's Crafted World
Fire Emblem
Cadence of Hyrule
Mario Maker 2
Marvel UA3

The number of games released each year is about the same, roughly one per month.  But 2020 has Animal Crossing.  That is a huge tentpole game, much bigger than anything released in 2018 or 2019 during the first 7 months.  That is why I say "disappointing" really means "I don't like Animal Crossing".  Animal Crossing is objectively a huge game.  It's not like Nintendo hasn't released anything.  It's just that some people don't like the games released this year.  So far 2020 stacks up better than 2018 or 2019, but that is mostly because of Animal Crossing.  

The disappointing part is not actually lack of games.  It's lack of announcements.  At this point, I am disappointed by the lack of announcements too.  They should, at the very least, tell us when the next Direct is.  And it's true that we normally get an E3 Direct by this point.  However, lack of games isn't the problem.  I get that some people may not like the games that have been released so far this year, but that is totally based on taste.  Objectively, 2020 has been a better year than 2018 and 2019 so far.  When people are saying that it's disappointing, I mostly conclude that they don't like Animal Crossing.

And the thing is you're literally right about this year being fantastic for games, there have been a lot of interesting launches this year both Nintendo published, but third parties too. Paper Mario, Rogue Company, Story of Seasons Friends of Mineral Town, Bloodstained 2, Crysis Remastered, WH40K Mechanicus, and Trails 3 DX all just launched. And most games aren't generally announced or dated for the Switch until like 2 weeks before launch, some announced the day of launch.

I think some people love drama, pessimism, and whining. Nintendo could literally announce Breath of the Wild 2, Mario Galaxy 3, Final Fantasy 16, Grand Theft Auto 5, and Persona 5 for release next week, and they'd complain there are no more games coming after that and conclude Nintendo is quitting gaming! Nintendo is doomed and we're all gonna die!

I'll never understand this mentality of thinking games/releases that won't exist for months or even years are much more important than games recently launched or launching in the next two weeks.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 24 July 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

I don't want to sound rude, but the simple fact that somehow someone was able to make Crysis run on the Switch - and apparently well, much better than it was on the previous consoles, which is amazing - AND that it is going to be released AHEAD of the competition is a clear sign for me that the Switch is getting lots of good things this year. Include the Corona difficulties and so far it is much more than one could ask all things considered.

Imo they were just waiting for MS and Sony to make their releveals. They always make their direct for last during e3

freebs2 said:

Imo they were just waiting for MS and Sony to make their releveals. They always make their direct for last during e3

I agree. They'll wait for Sony and Microsoft to announce some stuff and then they'll release a BOTW 2 trailer or Metroid Prime 4 afterwards to make sure people are still talking about them.

I like it when my mom goes out of town because I get to sleep on her side of the bed. -William Montgomery

farlaff said:
I don't want to sound rude, but the simple fact that somehow someone was able to make Crysis run on the Switch - and apparently well, much better than it was on the previous consoles, which is amazing - AND that it is going to be released AHEAD of the competition is a clear sign for me that the Switch is getting lots of good things this year. Include the Corona difficulties and so far it is much more than one could ask all things considered.

haha great point. I actually just picked up Crysis today. Crysis is the ideal third party effort, where they actually have a separate team working at the same time as the other versions of the game working to make a top end game on Switch, rather than just being like eh let's throw some half assed Switch version out cuz it isn't the real version (Fifa anyone) or just porting a downgraded Switch version several years later rather than building a game for the Switch.

Who woulda thought an AAA game (granted a remastered old AAA game) coming on the Switch before the other systems would ever happen haha. I congratulate them with $30 of my money as the first AAA third party game I've bought on Switch (out of now 34 games) besides the three 20+ year old PS1 Final Fantasy games!

Third parties clearly getting more serious about Switch this year - with Borderlands, Bioshock, Xcom, Crysis, bravely default, Doom eternal, Outer Worlds, etc. Looks like I will finally need to start picking up more non-indie third party games.

Around the Network
SuperJortendo said:
freebs2 said:

I agree. They'll wait for Sony and Microsoft to announce some stuff and then they'll release a BOTW 2 trailer or Metroid Prime 4 afterwards to make sure people are still talking about them.

Metroid Prime 4 is in the very earlier development stages. No way this is coming before the end of 2022. I'm expecting a trailer for mid-2021 though

BOTW2 though, it's very realistic to expect them release something this year. I heard rumours about voice acting already being recorded

Jumpin said:

I think some people love drama, pessimism, and whining. Nintendo could literally announce Breath of the Wild 2, Mario Galaxy 3, Final Fantasy 16, Grand Theft Auto 5, and Persona 5 for release next week, and they'd complain there are no more games coming after that and conclude Nintendo is quitting gaming! Nintendo is doomed and we're all gonna die!

I'll never understand this mentality of thinking games/releases that won't exist for months or even years are much more important than games recently launched or launching in the next two weeks.

Or maybe, just maybe, some people simply want to know what's releasing in the coming months, and what's happening with highly desired releases like BOTW2, Bayonetta 3, etc.

At present, we literally don't have a single major game dated for the Switch. People have every right to be dissatisfied with that, as it really isn't acceptable for a system in its prime. Imagine if the PS4 had had no major games dated in its 4th year.

Pretty much every other big company in gaming has kept its customers updated on future releases in spite of the pandemic. It's not a big ask for Nintendo to do the same.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 July 2020

curl-6 said:
Jumpin said:

Or maybe, just maybe, some people simply want to know what's releasing in the coming months, and what's happening with highly desired releases like BOTW2, Bayonetta 3, etc.

At present, we literally don't have a single major game dated for the Switch. People have every right to be dissatisfied with that, as it really isn't acceptable for a system in its prime. Imagine if the PS4 had had no major games dated in its 4th year.

Pretty much every other big company in gaming has kept its customers updated on future releases in spite of the pandemic. It's not a big ask for Nintendo to do the same.

Bayonetta level games are releasing quite commonly. As I pointed out in my last post, Paper Mario, Rogue Company, Story of Seasons Friends of Mineral Town, Bloodstained 2, Crysis Remastered, WH40K Mechanicus, and Trails 3 DX all just launched; some of these may even perform twice as good. And "I wanna know!" is not a good answer for inventing all this drama, and doesn't change my above opinion.

And it is completely acceptable for Nintendo to not announce dates for product way in advance. Not only is it acceptable, it's preferable.

To illustrate: Were you representative of the actual population, an I were Nintendo's product manager, I'd be deeply concerned that you're only interested in what's coming out in the distant future, and not what's coming up, newly released, or on the catalogue promotion. I'd consider you as representing an unhealthy customer profile, with healthy customer profiles (and desired ones) being constantly focused on the featured catalogue, the upcoming schedule, and the new releases. And I'd say your behaviour needs to be corrected (for this thought experiment, you'd represent a significant portion of the audience). What's the best way to do this? Generally just wait 1-3 years - this is (in my experience) and let customer adjustment to the new paradigm set in.

In actuality, Nintendo's Nintendo's been far more calculated, and adjusted their processes over about 3-4 years starting with Kimishima in the phasing out of directs and closing back the window of scheduling releases. It seems to have worked since Nintendo just had their second most successful Q4 in history for software sales on a single platform - the record is 48 million (set by Wii) and Switch hit 46 million. So I'd consider this thread to be more like a loud expression of an outlier.

The point I'm trying to make with the illustration above is it's better for business when hype is generated at launch rather than far in advance. Generally a good business practice in mostly every type of established business, it kind of baffles me that some people have the mentality that video gaming is an exception and needs to be announced months to several years out; this is completely illogical. Generally, the reasons you'd generate hype far in advance is because you need investment to finance your project or to disrupt the competition in a desperate move; it doesn't apply to Nintendo, because it's a powerful established brand. Of course, a drought would be another reason to announce future software to disguise the fact that your launch schedule sucks - this is why Nintendo's stocks would often slump after what some gamers would feel are powerful announcements, because investor analysts see the picture FAR more clearly, and through all of these spin strategies; what Nintendo was doing in the past was revealing their poor schedule. The difference with the Switch is Nintendo has developed a very good release cadence that is causing high sales to existing users and their evergreen first party titles keep driving hardware. As an investor, I'd be FAR more excited about the consistency of sales driven by Animal Crossing New Horizons, Breath of the Wild, and MK8 DX than I would be for something like Bayonetta 3, the fact that Nintendo keeps releasing games of that level makes Bayonetta 3 kind of irrelevant in the grand scheme. Anyway, investors care about business health, and firms have analysts who tear down and study this stuff in order to make calculated investments.

Anyway, an example of a company which has traditionally had a short announce to launch window (sometimes as little as announcing a new product on launch day) is Apple, and it has led them to become the most powerful brand in the world - a very good model for a company like Nintendo to follow, in fact, it might be more beneficial to Nintendo that has a much higher release cadence and a much higher risk of cannibalization (which has been problematic for Nintendo's third parties since Nintendo began regularly announcing things FAR in advance during the N64 era, especially after DK Racing (which, bit of trivia, was developed as Pro-Am 64 at first, but they wanted a stronger license; so technically it's a sequel to Pro-am with DKC characters), which I think was the last game they announced weeks before release for many years - and DK Racing was one of Nintendo's fasting selling games, ever, prior to the DS and Wii.

But I'm rambling and I gotta go! So I'll wrap up before I leave (without proofreading, sorry for mistakes/poor English).

Bottom line, Nintendo SHOULD make sure customers stay focused on catalogue, newly released, and upcoming games they can pre-purchase. That drives sales, and is what's good for business.

At most 3 months, and that's because of investor quarterly reports - August 6th is the next one, and by that date the next key Nintendo game should be revealed.

You don't even need to take my word for it that it's a good business strategy (if I somehow haven't convinced you with my pages of rambling), just look at investor satisfaction. Nintendo is a healthy business, their stock is at its highest levels since 2008 and is both growing and far more stable. Although, to be fair, Nintendo's stock collapse in 2008 was primarily from disparity in the level of economic collapse with the US and a projected longterm rise in the value of the yen, which GREATLY impacts Nintendo's net income. But shareholders wouldn't value Nintendo this highly if they didn't think the company wasn't being run extremely well right now, and with the right strategies and good business health.

Last, as I have been saying, August 6th is the day I'd guess they'll announce the next game by as that's their next investor meeting. So, if you're wondering about Nintndo's next scheduled release, that's your date.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
curl-6 said:

Bayonetta level games are releasing quite commonly. As I pointed out in my last post, Paper Mario, Rogue Company, Story of Seasons Friends of Mineral Town, Bloodstained 2, Crysis Remastered, WH40K Mechanicus, and Trails 3 DX all just launched; some of these may even perform twice as good. And "I wanna know!" is not a good answer for inventing all this drama, and doesn't change my above opinion.

And it is completely acceptable for Nintendo to not announce dates for product way in advance. Not only is it acceptable, it's preferable.

To illustrate: Were you representative of the actual population, an I were Nintendo's product manager, I'd be deeply concerned that you're only interested in what's coming out in the distant future, and not what's coming up, newly released, or on the catalogue promotion. I'd consider you as representing an unhealthy customer profile, with healthy customer profiles (and desired ones) being constantly focused on the featured catalogue, the upcoming schedule, and the new releases. And I'd say your behaviour needs to be corrected (for this thought experiment, you'd represent a significant portion of the audience). What's the best way to do this? Generally just wait 1-3 years - this is (in my experience) and let customer adjustment to the new paradigm set in.

In actuality, Nintendo's Nintendo's been far more calculated, and adjusted their processes over about 3-4 years starting with Kimishima in the phasing out of directs and closing back the window of scheduling releases. It seems to have worked since Nintendo just had their second most successful Q4 in history for software sales on a single platform - the record is 48 million (set by Wii) and Switch hit 46 million. So I'd consider this thread to be more like a loud expression of an outlier.

The point I'm trying to make with the illustration above is it's better for business when hype is generated at launch rather than far in advance. Generally a good business practice in mostly every type of established business, it kind of baffles me that some people have the mentality that video gaming is an exception and needs to be announced months to several years out; this is completely illogical. Generally, the reasons you'd generate hype far in advance is because you need investment to finance your project or to disrupt the competition in a desperate move; it doesn't apply to Nintendo, because it's a powerful established brand. Of course, a drought would be another reason to announce future software to disguise the fact that your launch schedule sucks - this is why Nintendo's stocks would often slump after what some gamers would feel are powerful announcements, because investor analysts see the picture FAR more clearly, and through all of these spin strategies; what Nintendo was doing in the past was revealing their poor schedule. The difference with the Switch is Nintendo has developed a very good release cadence that is causing high sales to existing users and their evergreen first party titles keep driving hardware. As an investor, I'd be FAR more excited about the consistency of sales driven by Animal Crossing New Horizons, Breath of the Wild, and MK8 DX than I would be for something like Bayonetta 3, the fact that Nintendo keeps releasing games of that level makes Bayonetta 3 kind of irrelevant in the grand scheme. Anyway, investors care about business health, and firms have analysts who tear down and study this stuff in order to make calculated investments.

Anyway, an example of a company which has traditionally had a short announce to launch window (sometimes as little as announcing a new product on launch day) is Apple, and it has led them to become the most powerful brand in the world - a very good model for a company like Nintendo to follow, in fact, it might be more beneficial to Nintendo that has a much higher release cadence and a much higher risk of cannibalization (which has been problematic for Nintendo's third parties since Nintendo began regularly announcing things FAR in advance during the N64 era, especially after DK Racing (which, bit of trivia, was developed as Pro-Am 64 at first, but they wanted a stronger license; so technically it's a sequel to Pro-am with DKC characters), which I think was the last game they announced weeks before release for many years - and DK Racing was one of Nintendo's fasting selling games, ever, prior to the DS and Wii.

But I'm rambling and I gotta go! So I'll wrap up before I leave (without proofreading, sorry for mistakes/poor English).

Bottom line, Nintendo SHOULD make sure customers stay focused on catalogue, newly released, and upcoming games they can pre-purchase. That drives sales, and is what's good for business.

At most 3 months, and that's because of investor quarterly reports - August 6th is the next one, and by that date the next key Nintendo game should be revealed.

You don't even need to take my word for it that it's a good business strategy (if I somehow haven't convinced you with my pages of rambling), just look at investor satisfaction. Nintendo is a healthy business, their stock is at its highest levels since 2008 and is both growing and far more stable. Although, to be fair, Nintendo's stock collapse in 2008 was primarily from disparity in the level of economic collapse with the US and a projected longterm rise in the value of the yen, which GREATLY impacts Nintendo's net income. But shareholders wouldn't value Nintendo this highly if they didn't think the company wasn't being run extremely well right now, and with the right strategies and good business health.

Last, as I have been saying, August 6th is the day I'd guess they'll announce the next game by as that's their next investor meeting. So, if you're wondering about Nintndo's next scheduled release, that's your date.

I don't care about how much money already rich corporate suits in Kyoto are pocketing, I care about actually having a quality new games to play and the future not being a miserable black hole of nothingness like it is right now.

How am I supposed to have any faith that the system I paid good money for won't be a dust collector for years to come when they have no significant games dated at all and multiple titles promised long ago have failed to materialize?

For God's sake, I'm not asking for much here, just a little transparency, a little hope for the future, something positive to look forward to in this horrible time.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 July 2020

I dont get this side of the forum. I just don't. Switch has a shit ton of games on it, so wtf dark abyss are you guys talking about?