Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: W10, 2020 (Mar 02 - Mar 08)

Tagged games:

I wish Sony had cut the price last year.
Would have been a good time and increased the baseline a bit more.

But they are insisting on the current pricepoint and will probably keep it into the next gen.



German YouTuber and Streamer:
StarCraft and Fallout 4 currently.

Me trying to write reviews:
Octopath Traveler

Amazon thread

Around the Network
Pinkie_pie said:
Kai_Mao said:

I neither agree nor disagree. I'm just stating that TLoU part II, a Western-focused game, may not have it easy with the current state of gaming in Japan. What makes you think it could boost it above 15K, or even reach 50K according to what you are predicting?

i was thinking tlou2 will boost ps4 everywhere including japan simply because it will be by far the biggest title to release on ps4. i may have over exaggerated its boost for ps4 but im still confidently ps4 will sell at least 20k when tlou2 releases. what do you think ff7 remake will do for the ps4? im thinking at least 50k

I think FF7 Remake will do better than TLoU Part II, just considering the state of gaming in Japan.

While TLoU Part II is a highly anticipated release, FF7 Remake has been a highly anticipated game in Japan even before it was officially announced back in 2015. That little engine demo of FF7 back in the late 2000s really wet the appetites of gaming fans. I think FF7 Remake will do well, maybe not help PS4 surpass Switch (unless Switch is still supply constrained due to the COVID-19 still affecting production from China and other places),, but do respectfully decent, considering the state of the PS4 and with the PS5 looming.

Plus, if you look at COMG, I know its not the end all, be all for Japan in terms of preorders, TLoU Part II seems to be doing...eh. I know we're a long way until May, but its not necessarily promising. You think it will gain enough momentum in Japan for consumers to not only care enough, but to buy a PS4 just for that game? If TLoU Part II can sell even half of Spider-Man (2018), which sold around 125,000 in its first week, then maybe it has a chance to boost sales for PS4.



Marth said:
I wish Sony had cut the price last year.
Would have been a good time and increased the baseline a bit more.

But they are insisting on the current pricepoint and will probably keep it into the next gen.

I get the feeling Sony wants to make as much money off PS4 as possible and would prefer that over reaching an arbitrary number of consoles sold.

So long as it's still selling fairly well at $300, they probably don't wanna eat into their profit margins, plus they also might not want too many folks running out to buy a PS4 on the eve of PS5, as they then will be less likely to want to upgrade soon.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Kai_Mao said:
Pinkie_pie said:

i was thinking tlou2 will boost ps4 everywhere including japan simply because it will be by far the biggest title to release on ps4. i may have over exaggerated its boost for ps4 but im still confidently ps4 will sell at least 20k when tlou2 releases. what do you think ff7 remake will do for the ps4? im thinking at least 50k

I think FF7 Remake will do better than TLoU Part II, just considering the state of gaming in Japan.

While TLoU Part II is a highly anticipated release, FF7 Remake has been a highly anticipated game in Japan even before it was officially announced back in 2015. That little engine demo of FF7 back in the late 2000s really wet the appetites of gaming fans. I think FF7 Remake will do well, maybe not help PS4 surpass Switch (unless Switch is still supply constrained due to the COVID-19 still affecting production from China and other places),, but do respectfully decent, considering the state of the PS4 and with the PS5 looming.

Plus, if you look at COMG, I know its not the end all, be all for Japan in terms of preorders, TLoU Part II seems to be doing...eh. I know we're a long way until May, but its not necessarily promising. You think it will gain enough momentum in Japan for consumers to not only care enough, but to buy a PS4 just for that game? If TLoU Part II can sell even half of Spider-Man (2018), which sold around 125,000 in its first week, then maybe it has a chance to boost sales for PS4.

You can also look at amazon Japan.

FF7R doing very well, currently holding #3 and has been up there for quite a while now and even has a second SKU in the top 100.

Meanwhile TLoU 2 sits at #81, below Monster Hunter World: Iceborn.

It can still improve a bit until release but I am not expecting much. It is not a game for the japanese market.

The first game sold 235k on PS3 and the remaster on PS4 only 66k.

Ghost of Tsushima and RE3 are the better candidates to look at when it comes to giving PS4 a final push in Japan



German YouTuber and Streamer:
StarCraft and Fallout 4 currently.

Me trying to write reviews:
Octopath Traveler

Amazon thread

Marth said:
I wish Sony had cut the price last year.
Would have been a good time and increased the baseline a bit more.

But they are insisting on the current pricepoint and will probably keep it into the next gen.

Yep, imo, there is no chance the PS4 gets a price cut now and thus PS4's higher sales predictions are fairly delusional.



Around the Network
Farsala said:
Marth said:
I wish Sony had cut the price last year.
Would have been a good time and increased the baseline a bit more.

But they are insisting on the current pricepoint and will probably keep it into the next gen.

Yep, imo, there is no chance the PS4 gets a price cut now and thus PS4's higher sales predictions are fairly delusional.

Ps4' higher sales predictions as in reaching 10 million lifetime? So you are saying ps4 has no chance of reaching 10 million? If you really think that then you are the one who is delusional 



Pinkie_pie said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

You also said this for Persona 5 Royal

I didnt say persona 5 royal would give it a huge boost like ff7 or tlou2. I said boost here and there as in small or huge and so on. Persona 5 royal isnt a new game like ff7 remake, tlou2 or ghost of tsushima. Its persona 5 with extra content

In Japan, Persona is almost as big as Final Fantasy, tlou 2 is no where near those games, ps4 stand no chance to sell over 50k with tlou 2

Pinkie_pie said:
Kai_Mao said:

I neither agree nor disagree. I'm just stating that TLoU part II, a Western-focused game, may not have it easy with the current state of gaming in Japan. What makes you think it could boost it above 15K, or even reach 50K according to what you are predicting?

i was thinking tlou2 will boost ps4 everywhere including japan simply because it will be by far the biggest title to release on ps4. i may have over exaggerated its boost for ps4 but im still confidently ps4 will sell at least 20k when tlou2 releases. what do you think ff7 remake will do for the ps4? im thinking at least 50k

PS4 weekly sales will continue to drop, this year it could be 6k - 7k a week, and 3k - 4k a week in the next year, so i don't see it reach 10mil at all when ps5 is near

Pinkie_pie said:
Farsala said:

Yep, imo, there is no chance the PS4 gets a price cut now and thus PS4's higher sales predictions are fairly delusional.

Ps4' higher sales predictions as in reaching 10 million lifetime? So you are saying ps4 has no chance of reaching 10 million? If you really think that then you are the one who is delusional 

With the state of home console in Japan, he isn't wrong



The PS4 will probably end up around 9.2-9.5 million.



I don't think it's delusional at all to think there's a chance of PS4 passing 10 million.

It may not happen, but it's not like it's this outrageous, utterly impossible proposition that's insane to even consider.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

HoangNhatAnh said:
Pinkie_pie said:

I didnt say persona 5 royal would give it a huge boost like ff7 or tlou2. I said boost here and there as in small or huge and so on. Persona 5 royal isnt a new game like ff7 remake, tlou2 or ghost of tsushima. Its persona 5 with extra content

In Japan, Persona is almost as big as Final Fantasy, tlou 2 is no where near those games, ps4 stand no chance to sell over 50k with tlou 2

Pinkie_pie said:

i was thinking tlou2 will boost ps4 everywhere including japan simply because it will be by far the biggest title to release on ps4. i may have over exaggerated its boost for ps4 but im still confidently ps4 will sell at least 20k when tlou2 releases. what do you think ff7 remake will do for the ps4? im thinking at least 50k

PS4 weekly sales will continue to drop, this year it could be 6k - 7k a week, and 3k - 4k a week in the next year, so i don't see it reach 10mil at all when ps5 is near

Pinkie_pie said:

Ps4' higher sales predictions as in reaching 10 million lifetime? So you are saying ps4 has no chance of reaching 10 million? If you really think that then you are the one who is delusional 

With the state of home console in Japan, he isn't wrong

I already said why persona 5 royal wouldnt give ps4 a huge boost. Its persona 5 with extra content. If you think hes not wrong and certain ps4 wont has a chance of reaching 10 million you too are delusional. We will just wait til end of this year and see