By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: W10, 2020 (Mar 02 - Mar 08)

Tagged games:

Pinkie_pie said:
Signalstar said:
I don't think PS4 will reach 10 million in Japan at this rate.

It only needs to average 10k per week for the next 2 years to reach 10 million. With ff7 remake, ghost of tsushima and price cut it will easily

Problem is, PS4 needs already a promotion to get above 10k now. Even a 10k Yen pricecut combined with FF7R and GoT won't keep those sales up for long anymore.

Around the Network
Pinkie_pie said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

The sales keep dropping harder and harder, "average 10k for the next 2 years" is almost a dream, more like average 6-7k for the next 2 years, and 10 - 15k for 1-2 weeks of ff7, the last of us 2, ghost of tsushima, permanent price drop and holidays. PS4 is a home console, not a portable, also, P5R already came out since last  year and ps4 sales number didn't even reach 10k in that week.

https://www.gematsu.com/2019/11/famitsu-sales-10-28-19-11-3-19

Its been averaging 13k this year without any major title released. And if you think ps4 will only sell 10-15k during ff7 or the last of us 2 week you will be in for a shock. It will sell at least 50k during ff7 and tlou2 launch week

You think The Last of Us Part II, as great of a game its anticipated to be, can create enough movement in Japan to boost PS4 sales above 15K?

Although the first game did relatively well with how it was in Japan, its a completely different climate now. Animal Crossing is dominating COMG charts by a mile compared to even FF7 Remake, which was arguably the most anticipated game ever according to Famitsu readers. The Switch is THE gaming platform in Japan outside of mobile (and maybe PC).

Last edited by Kai_Mao - on 12 March 2020

HoangNhatAnh said:
Pinkie_pie said:

Its been averaging 13k this year without any major title released. And if you think ps4 will only sell 10-15k during ff7 or the last of us 2 week you will be in for a shock. It will sell at least 50k during ff7 and tlou2 launch week

You also said this for Persona 5 Royal

I didnt say persona 5 royal would give it a huge boost like ff7 or tlou2. I said boost here and there as in small or huge and so on. Persona 5 royal isnt a new game like ff7 remake, tlou2 or ghost of tsushima. Its persona 5 with extra content

Kai_Mao said:
Pinkie_pie said:

You think The Last of Us Part II, as great of a game its anticipated to be, can create enough movement in Japan to boost PS4 sales above 15K?

Although the first game did relatively well with how it was in Japan, its a completely different climate now. Animal Crossing is dominating COMG charts by a mile compared to even FF7 Remake, which was arguably the most anticipated game ever according to Famitsu readers. The Switch is THE gaming platform in Japan outside of mobile (and maybe PC).

Tlou2 will boost ps4 way above 15k. So you also agree with hoang that ps4 will only sell 10-15k during ff7 remake release week?

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Pinkie_pie said:

It only needs to average 10k per week for the next 2 years to reach 10 million. With ff7 remake, ghost of tsushima and price cut it will easily

Problem is, PS4 needs already a promotion to get above 10k now. Even a 10k Yen pricecut combined with FF7R and GoT won't keep those sales up for long anymore.

It doesnt need to sell 10k or above eveery week. It only needs to average 10k for the next 2 years. I think it will sell at least 6-7k per week then there will be boost here and there to make up the 10k average 

Around the Network
Marth said:
Pinkie_pie said:

It doesnt need to sell 10k or above eveery week. It only needs to average 10k for the next 2 years. I think it will sell at least 6-7k per week then there will be boost here and there to make up the 10k average 

You need one hell of a boost if you want to push a 100 week average from 7k to 10k.

Not necessarily just 1 huge boost. Can be a few small boosts and a huge boost like ff7 releases, holidays and permanent price drop. 6-7k will happen often but not every week 

I'm still unsure as to whether PS4 can outsell PS3 in Japan; at this late stage in its life I'm not sure even games like FF7 Remake will produce massive hardware numbers as you'd expect most of the potential audience would already have a PS4 by now, plus PS3 in general is showing better legs than PS4, and PS5 isn't far off.

On the other hand, there is still plenty of room for the price to drop, which promotions seem to suggest does entice new buyers.

curl-6 said:

I'm still unsure as to whether PS4 can outsell PS3 in Japan; at this late stage in its life I'm not sure even games like FF7 Remake will produce massive hardware numbers as you'd expect most of the potential audience would already have a PS4 by now, plus PS3 in general is showing better legs than PS4, and PS5 isn't far off.

On the other hand, there is still plenty of room for the price to drop, which promotions seem to suggest does entice new buyers.

it wont outsell ps3 but it will most likely hit 10 million. ps4 isnt gonna stop selling after ps5 releases and it will get huge boost during the holidays and permanent price drop. after permanent price drop i think it can sustain 10k+ for many weeks

Pinkie_pie said:
curl-6 said:

it wont outsell ps3 but it will most likely hit 10 million. ps4 isnt gonna stop selling after ps5 releases and it will get huge boost during the holidays and permanent price drop. after permanent price drop i think it can sustain 10k+ for many weeks

I don't think PS4 will stop selling after PS5 comes out, even PS3 sold 7 million after PS4 came out I believe, (globally) just that beign replaced will naturally eat into its sales somewhat compared to a system that is the current flagship.

Pinkie_pie said:
Kai_Mao said:

Tlou2 will boost ps4 way above 15k. So you also agree with hoang that ps4 will only sell 10-15k during ff7 remake release week?

I neither agree nor disagree. I'm just stating that TLoU part II, a Western-focused game, may not have it easy with the current state of gaming in Japan. What makes you think it could boost it above 15K, or even reach 50K according to what you are predicting?