By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: W10, 2020 (Mar 02 - Mar 08)

Tagged games:

Pinkie_pie said:
Farsala said:

Yep, imo, there is no chance the PS4 gets a price cut now and thus PS4's higher sales predictions are fairly delusional.

Ps4' higher sales predictions as in reaching 10 million lifetime? So you are saying ps4 has no chance of reaching 10 million? If you really think that then you are the one who is delusional 

The PS4 is struggling to have decent legs at its current price point, and soon the PS3 will overtake it launch aligned. In addition, the PS4 will have its legs cut when the PS5 releases much like the PS3 did. Generally the January- March period is important for PS sales and it is already down 240k YoY. A price promotion in Feb/ March plus FF7 would have been great, but FF7 was delayed.



Around the Network
Farsala said:
Pinkie_pie said:

Ps4' higher sales predictions as in reaching 10 million lifetime? So you are saying ps4 has no chance of reaching 10 million? If you really think that then you are the one who is delusional 

The PS4 is struggling to have decent legs at its current price point, and soon the PS3 will overtake it launch aligned. In addition, the PS4 will have its legs cut when the PS5 releases much like the PS3 did. Generally the January- March period is important for PS sales and it is already down 240k YoY. A price promotion in Feb/ March plus FF7 would have been great, but FF7 was delayed.

The only way for ps4 to reach 10 million is if it has a permanent price drop which im sure it will. Eventually they can still make a profit selling it for $200. History says PlayStation system will have a price drop the year its successor launches or right after



Marth said:
I wish Sony had cut the price last year.
Would have been a good time and increased the baseline a bit more.

But they are insisting on the current pricepoint and will probably keep it into the next gen.

Makes no financial sense. PS4 is making Sony billions at the current margins. Money is needed for the launch of new hardware. PS4 is already on a trajectory to sell 120-130 million.

No need to cut price and loose money just to gain a slight percent of usebrase on an old system. PS4 will get a cut if Sony finds better margins (they might have) or if they want to put it out as a low cost alternative to PS5.

Farsala said:
Marth said:
I wish Sony had cut the price last year.
Would have been a good time and increased the baseline a bit more.

But they are insisting on the current pricepoint and will probably keep it into the next gen.

Yep, imo, there is no chance the PS4 gets a price cut now and thus PS4's higher sales predictions are fairly delusional.

There is nothing delusional about 9.5 million being the PS4 LTD. 



Pinkie_pie said:
Kai_Mao said:

I neither agree nor disagree. I'm just stating that TLoU part II, a Western-focused game, may not have it easy with the current state of gaming in Japan. What makes you think it could boost it above 15K, or even reach 50K according to what you are predicting?

i was thinking tlou2 will boost ps4 everywhere including japan simply because it will be by far the biggest title to release on ps4. i may have over exaggerated its boost for ps4 but im still confidently ps4 will sell at least 20k when tlou2 releases. what do you think ff7 remake will do for the ps4? im thinking at least 50k

Tlou2 may be the biggest game, how many will buy the console just for that game who didn't buy it already for the first one? Probably not too many, as most people interested into that game already own the console to play the predecessor.



Bofferbrauer2 said:
Pinkie_pie said:

i was thinking tlou2 will boost ps4 everywhere including japan simply because it will be by far the biggest title to release on ps4. i may have over exaggerated its boost for ps4 but im still confidently ps4 will sell at least 20k when tlou2 releases. what do you think ff7 remake will do for the ps4? im thinking at least 50k

Tlou2 may be the biggest game, how many will buy the console just for that game who didn't buy it already for the first one? Probably not too many, as most people interested into that game already own the console to play the predecessor.

Maybe a few who played the ps3 version waiting for it to release to buy a ps4? We know for sure sony will market the hell out of it so people who thinking about buying a ps4 might be interested even though they havent played the 1st yet



Around the Network

Even the numbers of Nintendos Q4 / Fiscal year will be late

Usually they reveal them a Month after the quarter ends so usually around 30th of April.
But this year they pushed the date back an extra week to May 7th



src said:
Marth said:
I wish Sony had cut the price last year.
Would have been a good time and increased the baseline a bit more.

But they are insisting on the current pricepoint and will probably keep it into the next gen.

Makes no financial sense. PS4 is making Sony billions at the current margins. Money is needed for the launch of new hardware. PS4 is already on a trajectory to sell 120-130 million.

No need to cut price and loose money just to gain a slight percent of usebrase on an old system. PS4 will get a cut if Sony finds better margins (they might have) or if they want to put it out as a low cost alternative to PS5.

Farsala said:

Yep, imo, there is no chance the PS4 gets a price cut now and thus PS4's higher sales predictions are fairly delusional.

There is nothing delusional about 9.5 million being the PS4 LTD. 

9.5m isn't the higher sales predictions...



Pinkie_pie said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

In Japan, Persona is almost as big as Final Fantasy, tlou 2 is no where near those games, ps4 stand no chance to sell over 50k with tlou 2

PS4 weekly sales will continue to drop, this year it could be 6k - 7k a week, and 3k - 4k a week in the next year, so i don't see it reach 10mil at all when ps5 is near

With the state of home console in Japan, he isn't wrong

I already said why persona 5 royal wouldnt give ps4 a huge boost. Its persona 5 with extra content. If you think hes not wrong and certain ps4 wont has a chance of reaching 10 million you too are delusional. We will just wait til end of this year and see 

First, your ps4 needs a price cut. When? Next year? When ps5 come out? Or never?

Pinkie_pie said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Tlou2 may be the biggest game, how many will buy the console just for that game who didn't buy it already for the first one? Probably not too many, as most people interested into that game already own the console to play the predecessor.

Maybe a few who played the ps3 version waiting for it to release to buy a ps4? We know for sure sony will market the hell out of it so people who thinking about buying a ps4 might be interested even though they havent played the 1st yet

Not in Japan



I don't see PS5 hitting 10m in Japan tbh the current era now pretty much goes against it with the declining sales with not much else that sways the region to stop that, FFVIIR won't give as much a boost as people think and even then it will be for like one week then it's back to square one the other games don't really interest Japanese gamers that much to cause any kind of stir while Sony aren't looking like they'll cut the price at this point it'll require more than a price cut regardless as the issue is more underlying than that the platform just isn't appealing as much to the region as people expected after PS5 releases the weekly sales will drop even more meaning any legs would have to put in even more work and I don't see it having enough time to make up for the drop.



With the direction Sony is going, I don't even the PS4 hitting 10 million, let alone the PS5.

Playstation consoles in Japan are hitting a decline, while the PS5 will for sure get titles like Monster Hunter World 2 and Final Fantasy Vii Remake Part 2 that will sale a lot of systems, its gonna be a massive up hill battle as Sony continues to more and more focus on the west. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if the PS5's first week sales in Japan are lower then that of the PS4's first week sales in Japan.

Wyrdness said: I don't see PS5 hitting 10m in Japan tbh the current era now pretty much goes against it with the declining sales with not much else that sways the region to stop that, FFVIIR won't give as much a boost as people think and even then it will be for like one week then it's back to square one the other games don't really interest Japanese gamers that much to cause any kind of stir while Sony aren't looking like they'll cut the price at this point it'll require more than a price cut regardless as the issue is more underlying than that the platform just isn't appealing as much to the region as people expected after PS5 releases the weekly sales will drop even more meaning any legs would have to put in even more work and I don't see it having enough time to make up for the drop.

With Animal Crossing having its third week on the market, and the coronavirus overall impact on the market, I would not be shocked in the least if the week FFVii released the PS4 is still not at the number 1 spot, considering Final Fantasy seems to be one of those Japanese series that are in a sales wise decline over in Japan.