Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony World Wide Studio Boss Hermen Hulst Q&A - Confirms Horizon Zero Dawn Coming To PC This Summer

There it is. Glad more people get to play it, just beat the main story for it like a week ago and it's an amazing experience.

Also, I don't understand why some people keep trying to say how "this lessens reasons for owning the console and will make them sell less". Correct me if i'm wrong, but haven't there been things in the past that show that most people who buy consoles usually just buy them to play multiplats? Exclusives sell really well to the hardcore who actively pay attention to this stuff, but for majority of people the main reason for buying a console is still ease of use; ie being able to just buy something and just play things on it without having to worry about anything else or they'll go wherever their friends are. These games being moved to PC isn't going to change anything for them in that case.

At most you could argue that maybe some of the "hardcore" might not have as much of a reason to buy the console anymore, but again that number of people probably isn't as significant as you think, or at the very least Microsoft or Sony don't think it is hence why they're willing to test these things out. (Or in Microsoft's case go all in with PC)

Around the Network
method114 said:
Skeeuk said:
I think the engine was already up and running on PC because of the decima engine let's see what happens I don't think every game will come out on PC if it does then they will lose out. I wont support any PlayStation games on pc I hope it backfires on them

I don't care if all the games go to PC but then I'm done with Sony consoles. I can just stick to my gaming PC at that point. In fact if that were to happen PC would be the mecca of gaming. All Xbox and Sony exclusives in one place.

In the terribly remote case Sony stops selling consoles, I would have to stop gaming. I don't see myself buying a gaming PC. Hopefully Sega will bring back their console business and Sony would be able to release their games on Sega. How wonderful would that be?

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:
method114 said:

I don't care if all the games go to PC but then I'm done with Sony consoles. I can just stick to my gaming PC at that point. In fact if that were to happen PC would be the mecca of gaming. All Xbox and Sony exclusives in one place.

In the terribly remote case Sony stops selling consoles, I would have to stop gaming. I don't see myself buying a gaming PC. Hopefully Sega will bring back their console business and Sony would be able to release their games on Sega. How wonderful would that be?

Was a huge fan of Sega back in the day but I'm satisfied with what the rest of the industry is doing right now. I prefer my PS4 over everything else but if Sony went away I would go back to PC gaming. I can't even entertain getting an Xbox with all their exclusives on PC. I'm sure most of Sony's studios would just go somewhere else. I'm positive MS would pick up one or two with some going independent if they wanted.

FloatingWaffles said:

There it is. Glad more people get to play it, just beat the main story for it like a week ago and it's an amazing experience.

Also, I don't understand why some people keep trying to say how "this lessens reasons for owning the console and will make them sell less". Correct me if i'm wrong, but haven't there been things in the past that show that most people who buy consoles usually just buy them to play multiplats? Exclusives sell really well to the hardcore who actively pay attention to this stuff, but for majority of people the main reason for buying a console is still ease of use; ie being able to just buy something and just play things on it without having to worry about anything else or they'll go wherever their friends are. These games being moved to PC isn't going to change anything for them in that case.

At most you could argue that maybe some of the "hardcore" might not have as much of a reason to buy the console anymore, but again that number of people probably isn't as significant as you think, or at the very least Microsoft or Sony don't think it is hence why they're willing to test these things out. (Or in Microsoft's case go all in with PC)

In my case, I like gaming and I like most Sony games: therefore I get a PS.

If all PS games are available on PC, I'll still get a PS. I want the plug and play thing. A black box that I connect to the TV and works.

If Sony stops selling consoles and their games go to PC only. I'm screwed until I find some sort of black box that has a PC inside that I can connect to the TV without having to worry about anything else.

There are small black boxes that people buy just to get access to Netflix (even thought Netflix runs on browsers). Why black boxes that run games (aka consoles) will have to die just because everything in the world runs on PCs?

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Hopefully Sony see the protential of sales and profit rom Horizon on PC and realize holding games hostage isnt the best strategy anymore which will lead to more money for Sony and an even bigger audience for fhere games.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Skeeuk said:
I think the engine was already up and running on PC because of the decima engine let's see what happens I don't think every game will come out on PC if it does then they will lose out. I wont support any PlayStation games on pc I hope it backfires on them

That is a terribly negative way to look at it.
You don't loose anything as a Playstation gamer by having a game released on PC.

We are all gamers on this forum, so you would think people would be supportive of others being able to play amazing games.

its a playstation game that should be on playstation only, i know hes said not all games are coming to pc but i wont be supporting it. its things drop off for them its thier own fault

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Sogreblute said:
src said:
Bad move unless they have data that shows PS4 sales are invariant to exclusive games (we have data showing this is NOT the case). Hopefully this is just a special case like the interview says and not a precedent. Losing exclusives will only loose sales, which will lower software sales and overall revenue.

How does making a game multiplat lose sales and lower revenue? 

He's talking about lowered console sales, which results in less platform royalty fees. 

Azzanation said:
Hopefully Sony see the protential of sales and profit rom Horizon on PC and realize holding games hostage isnt the best strategy anymore which will lead to more money for Sony and an even bigger audience for fhere games.

Trying to find the pie chart I saw years ago on Gamasutra, but $10-$15 of a game sold goes to the console holder. So let's say somebody buys a PS4 and ten games. This is lowballing it, but Sony makes $100-$150 in console royalty fees from those 10 games. Add in an average of $20 a year in PSN fees for five years, since about 1/3rd of users are subbed to PS+. Let's say that keeping Horizon on PS4 for good improves the Playstation brand enough to sell an additional 2 million PS5's in the future. That's $400,000,000 dollars in future profit ($100 in royalty fees + $100 for 5 years of PS+ from 1/3rd of  those 2 million users.)

Meanwhile Horizon will likely be bought at bargain basement prices on Steam. Probably around $20 a copy, just like the PS Store. At 2 million copies sold (this is being generous), they'd make about ($14 per copy) $28,000,000.

So we are comparing $28,000,000 vs $400,000,000. Sony is basically burning their own brand to the ground at this point. 

But oh well, it does benefit us gamers. I might not even get a PS5 until 2022 or 2023 now, because I'll have no need. My 2070S Rig will work fine. 

The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
Azzanation said:

Trying to find the pie chart I saw years ago on Gamasutra, but $10-$15 of a game sold goes to the console holder. So let's say somebody buys a PS4 and ten games. This is lowballing it, but Sony makes $100-$150 in console royalty fees from those 10 games. Add in an average of $20 a year in PSN fees for five years, since about 1/3rd of users are subbed to PS+. Let's say that keeping Horizon on PS4 for good improves the Playstation brand enough to sell an additional 2 million PS5's in the future. That's $400,000,000 dollars in future profit ($100 in royalty fees + $100 for 5 years of PS+ from 1/3rd of  those 2 million users.)

Meanwhile Horizon will likely be bought at bargain basement prices on Steam. Probably around $20 a copy, just like the PS Store. At 2 million copies sold (this is being generous), they'd make about ($14 per copy) $28,000,000.

So we are comparing $28,000,000 vs $400,000,000. Sony is basically burning their own brand to the ground at this point. 

But oh well, it does benefit us gamers. I might not even get a PS5 until 2022 or 2023 now, because I'll have no need. My 2070S Rig will work fine. 

Keep in mind that consoles cost money to make and a fortune to RnD. So basiaclly hardware loses money while the software and subscribers make that money back. Depending on how fast the console sells determine weather they make there money back on the console earlier. Its why Sony hasnt gone full PC yet due to the amount of success the PS4 has been this generation.

However that success is not always guaranteed every generation and with competition only increasing it could mean less overall sales which hurts shareholders etc. 

This Gen Sony were awfully lucky that both Nintendo and Xbox slipped up and led a 1 way ticket to success however with Nintendos recent success of the Switch and Xboxes revival, Sony are going to have to think about the bigger picture because there is too much money to lose by sticking to 1 format unless they are Nintendo which they are not.

Azzanation said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Keep in mind that consoles cost money to make and a fortune to RnD. So basiaclly hardware loses money while the software and subscribers make that money back. Depending on how fast the console sells determine weather they make there money back on the console earlier. Its why Sony hasnt gone full PC yet due to the amount of success the PS4 has been this generation.

However that success is not always guaranteed every generation and with competition only increasing it could mean less overall sales which hurts shareholders etc. 

This Gen Sony were awfully lucky that both Nintendo and Xbox slipped up and led a 1 way ticket to success however with Nintendos recent success of the Switch and Xboxes revival, Sony are going to have to think about the bigger picture because there is too much money to lose by sticking to 1 format unless they are Nintendo which they are not.

It's true that consoles cost money to make and research. My estimate was an extreme lowball though. There's easily enough wiggle room in those numbers to make R&D costs and production costs disappear. 

Competition increasing? From what? Streaming? Stadia and the like are the 3D0 and Jaguar of the 2020's. 

Yes, less console sales hurts shareholders. 

As far as mainline home consoles go Nintendo has a pretty good track record for messing up. N64, Gamecube, and Wii U were all failures. NES, SNES, and Wii were successes. It's no surprise that a company that had two console sales failures (N64 and GC), followed by a huge hit (Wii), would drop back to low sales a gen later. So I wouldn't attribute that to luck. 

Xbox did indeed slip up, but Sony definitely handled this gen well. They made all the right decisions. Sony's excellent studios, good gameplay focused hardware, and consumer friendly stance took the market just as much as Xbox gave it away. 

I don't think Xbox will have a resurgence at all. They face a Sony that is coming off a PS4 high note, and horrible sales of the XB1 this late in the gen. If it does though, that would be a result of Sony throwing all their exclusives onto other platforms, and basically giving up on the strength of their brand. Even then though, I don't see Xbox ever passing 65 million lifetime sales ever again. 

Sony is basically Nintendo, but with full blown 3rd party support. They've raised their 1st party content up to Nintendo's level, while still getting pretty much every 3rd party AAA game. And remember there's way more money to be lost by abandoning their brand, than there is from a few extra PC sales. 

What Sony really needs to do is focus on improving the PS brand, while making PSNow a serious competitor to gamepass. That way when streaming eventually takes over, in ten years, they can dominate the streaming market as much as they dominated the console market. Instead, they seem hellbent on pulling a MS, and becoming a 3rd party developer that just happens to have a console on the side. 

The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

Random_Matt said:
Finally, best game of the gen at 144Hz.

It sounds as if you don't have a ps4 and you just saying that because its coming to PC.

I loved the game, but game of the generation? Not really, God of war was better, Zelda was better, red dead redemption 2 was better, Xenoblades X was better, and Spiderman is on par with Horizon. Personally I even preferred Assassins creed 4 over Horizon.