By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony World Wide Studio Boss Hermen Hulst Q&A - Confirms Horizon Zero Dawn Coming To PC This Summer

Azzanation said:

No, i was always talking about the quality of the awards. You can bring up the qauntity all you want, that does not change my post. 

I proved i can find games that win random GOTY awards, awards that no one cares about. There are probably 20 GOTY awards that matter, the rest of the 200 awards given out, no one gives a shit.

Quality of the awards? LMAO!!!!

What makes an award better than another? It having a popular award show?

Who votes to give those awards? A panel of gaming journalists and personalities from multiple outlets and backgrounds. 

It’s the fucking same with most gaming outlets. A panel of people gather their votes and a title emerges above the others.

No different from the game awards. But you take the one with an award show as gospel because you know jack shit about the rest the world.

That tou cling to such argument is laughable at best.

Last edited by Hynad - on 18 March 2020

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
Azzanation said:

Erm.. doesn't matter of the subject, moving goalposts is moving goalposts. And ill call it out everytime.

I think its funny how right you just proven me. Iv been saying for years it isnt about console sales for Xbox and here you just showed that the CEO of Xbox just proved my point. Thanks.

But you won't call it out when Phil does it?

It is about console sales for Xbox. Console sales determines which company makes the most money in the long run. Phil wants to claim otherwise, but the math disagrees with him. He's just a PR spin machine. If XB1 had actually managed to beat PS4 in console sales, he'd be singing an entirely different tune.

Ill call Phil out when something he says doesnt make sense.

The point is what iv been saying is correct. Steam, Apple and Android all showcase you dont need consoles to make a fortune in gaming. Am i wrong in saying that?

However on this site, you have to see past the corrupted sheep. Remember when people accused Phil for being behind on the Series X development.. Phil came out and said he had an actual Series X console in his house, than people called him out again saying his lying, than Phil showcases the actual chip designs and console design at the Game Awards.. 

I see past the blind sighted people. 

The point is i was proven correct by the actual CEO of Xbox. 

Azzanation said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
"We are beating Sony by about 8 million units!" - Phil Spencer Circa 2008

"It isn't about console sales, it's about software sales! That's not our strategy anymore!" - Phil Spencer Circa 2016

"It isn't about software sales, it's about concurrent peak players." - Phil Spencer Circa 2019

"PS Fans are moving the goalpost!" - Azzanation 2020.

:D :D :D

Erm.. doesn't matter of the subject, moving goalposts is moving goalposts. And ill call it out everytime.

I think its funny how right you just proven me. Iv been saying for years it isnt about console sales for Xbox and here you just showed that the CEO of Xbox just proved my point. Thanks.

DonFerrari said:

Seems like you missed the several threads were he tried to prove that Xbox1 was more profitable than PS4 through MAU (that was slightly higher than Sony PS+ at that moment). Ignored HW sales, SW sales, Gold vs PS+ subs, and picked two different metrics to come to as always a wrong conclusion.

How long ago was that? Curious question.

src said:

You found one lmao

Meanwhile Sony,

Death Stranding - 80

GoW - 198

UC4 - 165

Your opinion is irrelevant. We are talking about the games that have the most GOTY awards, it's a simple numbers game. 

No, i was always talking about the quality of the awards. You can bring up the qauntity all you want, that does not change my post. 

I proved i can find games that win random GOTY awards, awards that no one cares about. There are probably 20 GOTY awards that matter, the rest of the 200 awards given out, no one gives a shit.

But no one cares about your opinion hence what YOU THINK is a quality award is irrelevant. 

Even in your own metric Sony owns Microsoft:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_of_the_Year_awards#IGN

IGN GOTY 2001 -2019

6 PS exclusives

1 Xbox exclusive

Gamespot GOTY 1996 -2019

5 PS exclusives

1 Xbox exclusive

Polygon GOTY 2012 -2019

1 PS exclusive

0 Xbox exclusive

Gameinformer GOTY 1992 -2019

6 PS exclusives

2 Xbox exclusive

LMAO

Last edited by src - on 18 March 2020

src said:

But no one cares about your opinion hence what YOU THINK is a quality award is irrelevant. 

Even in your own metric Sony owns Microsoft:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_of_the_Year_awards#IGN

IGN GOTY 2001 -2019

6 PS exclusives

1 Xbox exclusive

Gamespot GOTY 1996 -2019

5 PS exclusives

1 Xbox exclusive

Polygon GOTY 2012 -2019

1 PS exclusive

0 Xbox exclusive

Gameinformer GOTY 1992 -2019

6 PS exclusives

2 Xbox exclusive

LMAO

Point proven right here of goalpost moving at its worst.

We are not talking about other games, we are referring to UC4 and Death Stranding.

FYI, i dont care if you care about my opinion. You just proved that these awards are all subjected. Anyone can claim there game is GOTY because the awards are throw around like crazy. Depends they follow as there reviewers. Those that are super loyal to Stevivor are going to say Forza Horizon 4 is GOTY, those that follow PS Universe will say UC4 is etc.

Thats not a hard concept to grasp so i am hoping you grasped it by now.

> Claims Xbox comes close to PS in first party GOTY
> PS destroys Xbox by hundreds of awards
> Then claims that only the awards he picks count
> PS still destroys Xbox over 20+ years.

Poor guy can't even comprehend how behind Xbox is lol

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

But you won't call it out when Phil does it?

It is about console sales for Xbox. Console sales determines which company makes the most money in the long run. Phil wants to claim otherwise, but the math disagrees with him. He's just a PR spin machine. If XB1 had actually managed to beat PS4 in console sales, he'd be singing an entirely different tune.

Ill call Phil out when something he says doesnt make sense.

The point is what iv been saying is correct. Steam, Apple and Android all showcase you dont need consoles to make a fortune in gaming. Am i wrong in saying that?

The point is i was proven correct by the actual CEO of Xbox. 

Phil clearly shifted the goal post when Xbox started losing.

You aren't just claiming that you don't need a console to make a fortune in gaming. You are claiming that getting rid of exclusives, and selling your games on all platforms will make more money in the long run, than using exclusives to push console sales.

And we already had that argument. I showed that using exclusives to move more consoles makes way more money in the long run due to console royalty fees paid by 3rd party publishers, as well as PS+/XBL fees.

src said:

Funny Because no where in my posts am i denying it. I just love how we went from comparing UC4 v OW to PS has more GOTY than Xbox. 

What next, you want to compare controller sales in this debate too?

Keep moving them, you seem very good at it.

Cerebralbore101 said:

You aren't just claiming that you don't need a console to make a fortune in gaming. You are claiming that getting rid of exclusives, and selling your games on all platforms will make more money in the long run, than using exclusives to push console sales.

And we already had that argument. I showed that using exclusives to move more consoles makes way more money in the long run due to console royalty fees paid by 3rd party publishers, as well as PS+/XBL fees.

Phil shifted the goal posts because the entire Xbox brand decided to change thier entire gaming strategy even before the X1 launched. Maybe you have been under a rock.

Also companies make more money via digital than physical because digital media removes the middle man. There is a major reason why Xbox went the PC route and no different to why Sony is testing the waters as well. Horizon is confirmed for PC and not just on PSNow, its coming to Steam. Why would they do that if exclusives are so important as you make them out to be? Because its money.

Hardware costs billions in RnD, the less a company produces the less they lose as consoles are sold at a lost for many years before they make it back. Digital media there is no loss. Its all gain and something MS has realised long ago. Iv been saying it for years and companies are doing exactly that.

If exclusives mean that much than why would MS put there games on PC and Switch? Why is Minecraft still a thing on PS? Serious question.

Azzanation said:
src said:

Funny Because no where in my posts am i denying it. I just love how we went from comparing UC4 v OW to PS has more GOTY than Xbox. 

What next, you want to compare controller sales in this debate too?

Keep moving them, you seem very good at it.

Cerebralbore101 said:

Phil shifted the goal posts because the entire Xbox brand decided to change thier entire gaming strategy even before the X1 launched. Maybe you have been under a rock.

Also companies make more money via digital than physical because digital media removes the middle man. There is a major reason why Xbox went the PC route and no different to why Sony is testing the waters as well. Horizon is confirmed for PC and not just on PSNow, its coming to Steam. Why would they do that if exclusives are so important as you make them out to be? Because its money.

Hardware costs billions in RnD, the less a company produces the less they lose as consoles are sold at a lost for many years before they make it back. Digital media there is no loss. Its all gain and something MS has realised long ago. Iv been saying it for years and companies are doing exactly that.

If exclusives mean that much than why would MS put there games on PC and Switch? Why is Minecraft still a thing on PS? Serious question.

You never ceases to amaze. Yes R&D cost money, and that would be more likely a fixed cost independent of how many units you sell, so actualy the more you sell the better on this particular costs not the opposite.

And MS was talking about how much HW they sold, how X1 was the fastest selling xbox ever until they stopped talking about sales since 10M soon to be shipped, besides that ludicrous it doesn't matter how much you sell the whole year but during holidays. No MS didn't change the strategy before X1, they stopped talking about it and changed how to spin their PR mid gen.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Azzanation said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Xbox changed their entire gaming strategy prior to XB1 launch? Source? And even if that were proven, that in no way helps, because the PS4 beatdown was clearly coming. Which means that MS saw they were going to lose gen 8 before gen 8 even got started, and decided to make up excuses six months before launch. But you still need to prove that they "changed their strategy" prior to XB1 launch. 

Consoles sell digital as well. So Xbox's shift to PC is meaningless in regards to your point. 

Why would they do that if exclusives are so important as you make them out to be? If exclusives mean that much than why would MS put there games on PC and Switch? Why is Minecraft still a thing on PS? Serious question.

The same reason CEOs do anything that boosts short term profits, while dooming the business in the long term. They only care about getting the stock price up for the next three months, not about the company existing for the next 20 years. CEOs are under immense pressure to provide unsustainable profits. This often leads them to selling the apple trees in the present, and not worrying about how the apple farm will grow more apples a year from now. 

RnD costs are the same whether you sell 200 million consoles or one million consoles. It's better to split the RND costs among 100 million consoles sold, than 50 million consoles sold. Selling your exclusives Digitally on PC is not all gain and no loss. You have to pay publishing fees to Steam/Epic/GoG, instead of pocketing the entire $60 for yourself. PC Gamers are much more likely to wait for a sale instead of paying the full $60 on release day. Also you lower your total number of consoles sold, which lowers the console royalty fees you get from every third party game. We've been over this.