By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony World Wide Studio Boss Hermen Hulst Q&A - Confirms Horizon Zero Dawn Coming To PC This Summer

src said:
Pemalite said:

Prove it. No really... A claim like this requires evidence.

The Nintendo 64 and Gamecube both had exclusives, some were regarded as the best games of all time.

I misread, seems the estimate only includes sales.

PS revenue FY 2017 - $17.53 billion

Steam revenue estimate FY 2017 - $4.3 billion 

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-03-23-valves-generates-record-breaking-usd4-3bn-from-sales-revenue-in-2017+&cd=14&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us">https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:qjG_oXQrLMUJ:https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-03-23-valves-generates-record-breaking-usd4-3bn-from-sales-revenue-in-2017+&cd=14&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

There is little Valve can have to make up for another $13 billion though. 

Okay but PS1/2 had far more exclusives and a lot bigger exclusives from third parties. 

Your source is from 2017 and your source also states their "estimates" (Not FACT) does not include DLC, Microtransactions, In-App purchases and more or account for the possible 1-2 billion revenue growth in those years.

That is a pretty dodgy source, you will need to try again.

src said:

Okay but PS1/2 had far more exclusives and a lot bigger exclusives from third parties. 

Every platform has exclusives... And let's be honest, no exclusives of the era can really compete with Goldeneye, Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Final Fantasy 7 and 8 got released on PC, arguable two of the PS1's biggest ever titles.

Titles like Suikoden 2, Driver, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Oddworld: Abes Oddysee, Tomb Raider 2 were all on PC.
Titles like Tekken 3 were on Arcade.

So none of those were true exclusives...

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
src said:

You don't get to declare whats popular. Numbers declare whats popular. The numbers show UC4 was a lot more popular as GOTY so you're once again wrong.

Oh and you are also showing how US centric you are. Gaming is a worldwide industry. US =/ the World

You basically proved my point. 

The entire point went over your head. Awards and reviews are all subjective, you can pick and choose what you like, popularity doesnt mean better. Much like a bad sports team having more supporters than the good sports teams having less supporters. Id choose quality choices over random, unknown or smaller sites etc. 

However like i said, i could care less what game wins what but if i did id go for the more trustworthy and history proven sites not a bunch of no names.

Metacritic is more trustworthy than any single site (since its an average), so by your own logic Death Stranding is the GOTY lol

Pemalite said:
src said:

I misread, seems the estimate only includes sales.

PS revenue FY 2017 - $17.53 billion

Steam revenue estimate FY 2017 - $4.3 billion 

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-03-23-valves-generates-record-breaking-usd4-3bn-from-sales-revenue-in-2017+&cd=14&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us">https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:qjG_oXQrLMUJ:https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-03-23-valves-generates-record-breaking-usd4-3bn-from-sales-revenue-in-2017+&cd=14&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

There is little Valve can have to make up for another $13 billion though. 

Your source is from 2017 and your source also states their "estimates" (Not FACT) does not include DLC, Microtransactions, In-App purchases and more or account for the possible 1-2 billion revenue growth in those years.

That is a pretty dodgy source, you will need to try again.

src said:

Every platform has exclusives... And let's be honest, no exclusives of the era can really compete with Goldeneye, Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Final Fantasy 7 and 8 got released on PC, arguable two of the PS1's biggest ever titles.

Titles like Suikoden 2, Driver, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Oddworld: Abes Oddysee, Tomb Raider 2 were all on PC.
Titles like Tekken 3 were on Arcade.

So none of those were true exclusives...

PS results were from 2017 as well. MT and DLC ain't going to make up anywhere near $13 billion when game sales are only $4 billion so thats a moot point. 

PC was hardly relevant for FF at the time of PS1. Thats a poor excuse for the point I made to which you have no real rebuttal to:

PS1/2 had more and far bigger exclusives than N64/GCN. 

src said:

Metacritic is more trustworthy than any single site (since its an average), so by your own logic Death Stranding is the GOTY lol

/facepalm. 

FYI Death Stranding is also not a PS exclusive and was not made by Sony as its also coming to PC.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 15 March 2020

src said:

PS results were from 2017 as well. MT and DLC ain't going to make up anywhere near $13 billion when game sales are only $4 billion so thats a moot point. 

No. The point is... That irrespective of the fact that Steam may not match Sony in terms of revenues, it's still not a difference as large as you originally asserted.

In lamens terms, your original statement was false.

Plus Steam's profits and revenues have been growing rather quickly every year, it was 1.5~ billion in 2014 and 4.3~ billion 2017... Or an increase of 186%. - Can we assert the same for Playstation? If Steam retained that same growth momentum we could potentially be looking at 12.3~ billion today.

Microtransactions and DLC is huge on PC. - PC is heavier on the digital purchases than console remember.

src said:

PC was hardly relevant for FF at the time of PS1. Thats a poor excuse for the point I made to which you have no real rebuttal to:

PC was always relevant, just not in your circles.
The fact is... If a game is on console AND PC... Then that game by extension and definition is multi-platform and thus not exclusive.

I would argue that no exclusive was larger than Golden Eye and Ocarina of Time that console generation, they were massive titles that have frequently been rated as some of the best games of all time and even defined their respective genre's. - What did the PS1 have?

Last edited by Pemalite - on 15 March 2020

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

sales2099 said:
Random_Matt said:

One game and people explode.

At least for the diehard fans, imagine an entire culture imploding on itself.

The fans proudly claim that the pillar of their brand is the 1st party exclusives that set themselves apart from Xbox, especially with MSs initiative to put theirs on PC day 1. Now they can’t claim that, any exclusive is possible on PC now....people might just wait Sony out now. I’m anxious to see what the new emerging narrative will be to adapt to this new initiative. 

I have seen some people lose their minds about this silly thing(on the internet ofcourse),and ignoring every positive that remains with playstation just because their precious ''i'm a fan so the brand belongs to me'' ego and also the Microsoft fanatics that suddenly care for Playstation just to talk negatively about it.

Then there are those PC gamer's that are happy to be able to enjoy those games coming on their platform,it is nice to see their comments once in a while pop up between all the stupid duality.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

Thank god you have matured right?

Couldn’t resist lol. Takes me back to when MS announced this initiative years ago. It sucked at first but then I’m like: Wait a tick...MS has a PC OS monopoly with their own dedicated store. 

Made it realllllly easy to get the ol shovel and dig up them goal posts, move them around at night so in the morning nobody would notice :)

Edit: Would you agree that this changes the brand? Especially as more get added over the years?

Moving from SW being on a single HW to being available in several platforms change a lot the brand.

And sure a jab from every now and then is cool =]

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Azzanation said:
src said:

/facepalm. 

FYI Death Stranding is also not a PS exclusive and was not made by Sony as its also coming to PC.

Okay then. The last 4 GOTYs have been 2 PS4 exclusives, 1 PS console exclusive and 1 SW exclusive.

Still paints the same picture. 

Pemalite said:
src said:

No. The point is... That irrespective of the fact that Steam may not match Sony in terms of revenues, it's still not a difference as large as you originally asserted.

In lamens terms, your original statement was false.

Plus Steam's profits and revenues have been growing rather quickly every year, it was 1.5~ billion in 2014 and 4.3~ billion 2017... Or an increase of 186%. - Can we assert the same for Playstation? If Steam retained that same growth momentum we could potentially be looking at 12.3~ billion today.

Microtransactions and DLC is huge on PC. - PC is heavier on the digital purchases than console remember.

src said:

PC was always relevant, just not in your circles.
The fact is... If a game is on console AND PC... Then that game by extension and definition is multi-platform and thus not exclusive.

I would argue that no exclusive was larger than Golden Eye and Ocarina of Time that console generation, they were massive titles that have frequently been rated as some of the best games of all time and even defined their respective genre's. - What did the PS1 have?

Sure, but it's still clear PS is considerably bigger in revenue than Valve. Peak revenue for PS has been $20 billion. It is incredibly naive to extrapolate a linear gain, there should be evidence of a linear model before doing such a thing.

Sure digital in PC makes it a far bigger margin ecosystem but PS including hardware sales, subs, accessories and first party sales also increases their margins. 

Your PC comment of it being relevant in 199X for PS1 games is evidently false. The PS1 version of FF7 sold 9.8 million copies. The PC version did 1 million+ copies. 

There's really nothing to argue here looking at the data. GE sold 8 million and OoT 7 million+.

FF7 is evidently bigger.

It was THE defining game of PS1 (alongside Gran Turismo), the first console to be a global hit and sell 100 million+. In more detail, FF7 signified the change in leader from Nintendo to Sony in Japan, leading the way for a mass migration of third parties and the birth of the JRPG genre in the global market. Gran Turismo (10.8 million) influenced car culture so much that it led to car manufacturers changing production lines in response to the game. 

src said:
Azzanation said:

/facepalm. 

Okay then. The last 4 GOTYs have been 2 PS4 exclusives, 1 PS console exclusive and 1 SW exclusive.

By your logic i can say so as Xbox and Nintendo because i am sure alot of there own games have brought home a GOTY from some site or official bias magazine. Any way i couldn't.

Azzanation said:
src said:

By your logic i can say so as Xbox and Nintendo because i am sure alot of there own games have brought home a GOTY from some site or official bias magazine. Any way i couldn't.

Do it,

Bring the list of MS exclusive GOTYs per year this gen and how many awards they won each year.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Azzanation said:
src said:

Like the poster above says do it. Xbox won't come close to PS.