By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony World Wide Studio Boss Hermen Hulst Q&A - Confirms Horizon Zero Dawn Coming To PC This Summer

An interesting move. If Sony starts releasing their older titles on PC it could increase interest in newer PS5 games and increase console sales. Assuming they only do older games and don't do it exactly like microsoft. Also it would be amazing if they brought some PS1-PS3 exclusives to PC because some of them are immposible to play without having the specific console. not even emulation is possible for some games.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
Basically when all console potential has dried up they will bring it to PC, if they so choose. It begins :)

If that is true then why buy consoles at all, just wait for the better PC version at cheaper prices.

Bringing console exclusives to PC means there's less selling point for the console. A PC gamer might still buy consoles for exclusives, but you stop having exclusives then PC gamers will be glad they don't have to buy your console.

That doesn't sound smart, might be good for a quick buck, but then the next exclusives wont sell as much as they could on the console, and you shouldn't want people buying on PC due to high levels of piracy and cheaper prices.

These practices will hurt console sales, just look at Microsoft, first putting their games on PC and now no exclusives for 2 years, I predict this will hurt their sales really bad.

Imagine if Halo, gears and Forza had never come to PC, can you imagine how many xbox ones they'd sold? Maybe double. How many people bought an xbox to play Halo? A lot, if halo was on PC from day 1, I bet xbox wouldn't even be a thing today.

victor83fernandes said:
sales2099 said:
Basically when all console potential has dried up they will bring it to PC, if they so choose. It begins :)

If that is true then why buy consoles at all, just wait for the better PC version at cheaper prices.

Bringing console exclusives to PC means there's less selling point for the console. A PC gamer might still buy consoles for exclusives, but you stop having exclusives then PC gamers will be glad they don't have to buy your console.

That doesn't sound smart, might be good for a quick buck, but then the next exclusives wont sell as much as they could on the console, and you shouldn't want people buying on PC due to high levels of piracy and cheaper prices.

These practices will hurt console sales, just look at Microsoft, first putting their games on PC and now no exclusives for 2 years, I predict this will hurt their sales really bad.

Imagine if Halo, gears and Forza had never come to PC, can you imagine how many xbox ones they'd sold? Maybe double. How many people bought an xbox to play Halo? A lot, if halo was on PC from day 1, I bet xbox wouldn't even be a thing today.

In many ways a PC gamer and console gamer are two different groups. Millions from either side wouldn’t touch the other just because it isn’t their style. Most know that a console is convenient and hundreds cheaper then investing in a gaming rig. 

If Xbox’s exclusives didn’t go to Pc you’d see a few million bump nothing more. MCC on PC sold somewhere from 2-3 million. Better to capitalize on those who aren’t willing to come over to your side. I’m just glad Sony is starting a slow yet slippery slope where their console isn’t the sole destination for their games. To me, their principles are slowly eroding. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Sogreblute said:
src said:
Bad move unless they have data that shows PS4 sales are invariant to exclusive games (we have data showing this is NOT the case). Hopefully this is just a special case like the interview says and not a precedent. Losing exclusives will only loose sales, which will lower software sales and overall revenue.

How does making a game multiplat lose sales and lower revenue? 

The game does not, but Sony is not in the game making business, they're in the game platform and console business. 

Losing exclusives will result in less PS sales, which in turn means:

- less hardware sales

- less subs

- less platform software sales

Basically a cut in every segment of Sony's business bar software sales. 

I'll switch to PC if they go all in. Sonys already losing their identity to me, going the same route as MS who lost their identity after the 360.

Around the Network

There it is. Glad more people get to play it, just beat the main story for it like a week ago and it's an amazing experience.

Also, I don't understand why some people keep trying to say how "this lessens reasons for owning the console and will make them sell less". Correct me if i'm wrong, but haven't there been things in the past that show that most people who buy consoles usually just buy them to play multiplats? Exclusives sell really well to the hardcore who actively pay attention to this stuff, but for majority of people the main reason for buying a console is still ease of use; ie being able to just buy something and just play things on it without having to worry about anything else or they'll go wherever their friends are. These games being moved to PC isn't going to change anything for them in that case.

At most you could argue that maybe some of the "hardcore" might not have as much of a reason to buy the console anymore, but again that number of people probably isn't as significant as you think, or at the very least Microsoft or Sony don't think it is hence why they're willing to test these things out. (Or in Microsoft's case go all in with PC)

method114 said:
Skeeuk said:
I think the engine was already up and running on PC because of the decima engine let's see what happens I don't think every game will come out on PC if it does then they will lose out. I wont support any PlayStation games on pc I hope it backfires on them

I don't care if all the games go to PC but then I'm done with Sony consoles. I can just stick to my gaming PC at that point. In fact if that were to happen PC would be the mecca of gaming. All Xbox and Sony exclusives in one place.

In the terribly remote case Sony stops selling consoles, I would have to stop gaming. I don't see myself buying a gaming PC. Hopefully Sega will bring back their console business and Sony would be able to release their games on Sega. How wonderful would that be?

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:
method114 said:

I don't care if all the games go to PC but then I'm done with Sony consoles. I can just stick to my gaming PC at that point. In fact if that were to happen PC would be the mecca of gaming. All Xbox and Sony exclusives in one place.

In the terribly remote case Sony stops selling consoles, I would have to stop gaming. I don't see myself buying a gaming PC. Hopefully Sega will bring back their console business and Sony would be able to release their games on Sega. How wonderful would that be?

Was a huge fan of Sega back in the day but I'm satisfied with what the rest of the industry is doing right now. I prefer my PS4 over everything else but if Sony went away I would go back to PC gaming. I can't even entertain getting an Xbox with all their exclusives on PC. I'm sure most of Sony's studios would just go somewhere else. I'm positive MS would pick up one or two with some going independent if they wanted.

FloatingWaffles said:

There it is. Glad more people get to play it, just beat the main story for it like a week ago and it's an amazing experience.

Also, I don't understand why some people keep trying to say how "this lessens reasons for owning the console and will make them sell less". Correct me if i'm wrong, but haven't there been things in the past that show that most people who buy consoles usually just buy them to play multiplats? Exclusives sell really well to the hardcore who actively pay attention to this stuff, but for majority of people the main reason for buying a console is still ease of use; ie being able to just buy something and just play things on it without having to worry about anything else or they'll go wherever their friends are. These games being moved to PC isn't going to change anything for them in that case.

At most you could argue that maybe some of the "hardcore" might not have as much of a reason to buy the console anymore, but again that number of people probably isn't as significant as you think, or at the very least Microsoft or Sony don't think it is hence why they're willing to test these things out. (Or in Microsoft's case go all in with PC)

In my case, I like gaming and I like most Sony games: therefore I get a PS.

If all PS games are available on PC, I'll still get a PS. I want the plug and play thing. A black box that I connect to the TV and works.

If Sony stops selling consoles and their games go to PC only. I'm screwed until I find some sort of black box that has a PC inside that I can connect to the TV without having to worry about anything else.

There are small black boxes that people buy just to get access to Netflix (even thought Netflix runs on browsers). Why black boxes that run games (aka consoles) will have to die just because everything in the world runs on PCs?

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Hopefully Sony see the protential of sales and profit rom Horizon on PC and realize holding games hostage isnt the best strategy anymore which will lead to more money for Sony and an even bigger audience for fhere games.