By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do gamers really want Cloud gaming?

goopy20 said:

With MS's new strategy of focusing on XCloud with a subscription service, instead of just launching a traditional next gen console. I'm just wondering what your thoughts on this are. Of course it pretty cool if you can stream Series-X games on a Xone or mobiles, but is that really what gamers want, instead of a more traditional console? People won't need to fork out $599 for a Series X, which is obviously great and GP does offer great value. However, if you want to play the big AAA games like GTA6 asap, which I'm sure won't launch on GP from day one. You will still need to buy them for $60 just so you can play the cloud version. It didn't really work out well for Stadia, so why would MS go down this same road? 

With Sony's strategy of not ditching PSNow with a subscription service they are clearly not focusing on their next gen console. I'm just wondering what your thoughts on this are. Of course it pretty cool if you can stream PlayStation games on a PlayStation, PC or mobiles, but is that really what gamers want, instead of a more traditional console?

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
I don't quite "get" cloud gaming. It requires a constant internet connection (a good one), and little to no interruption - no matter the game?
That sounds god awful.

You need a good internet connection. No data caps. And you also need no one else needing to use the internet.

Can you even stream these intense AAA games while someone else wants to watch youtube or netflix?

Good internet is getting more common. I finally got rid of data caps last year and there's no turning back.

My kids can both be watching you tube, downloading patches, streaming music, party chat, while I'm racing online or watching Netflix, all on a 80 mbps connection. You don't have to stream in 4K, that's simply the top tier. For streaming to your phone at home, using it as a switch, much less bandwidth is needed.

It won't be as good as console or PC quality, well perhaps better than the average PC or console, but top end hardware will always beat it. As for latency, if the data center is close enough it can actually be the same as on console since the server has the ability to cut update and render time down considerably to compensate for transmission time. The main problem is stability, but the main advantages are faster loading times, resume play anywhere, no install time, always patched to the latest version. (When it all works, we're not there yet)

Bandorr said:
SvennoJ said:

Good internet is getting more common. I finally got rid of data caps last year and there's no turning back.

My kids can both be watching you tube, downloading patches, streaming music, party chat, while I'm racing online or watching Netflix, all on a 80 mbps connection. You don't have to stream in 4K, that's simply the top tier. For streaming to your phone at home, using it as a switch, much less bandwidth is needed.

It won't be as good as console or PC quality, well perhaps better than the average PC or console, but top end hardware will always beat it. As for latency, if the data center is close enough it can actually be the same as on console since the server has the ability to cut update and render time down considerably to compensate for transmission time. The main problem is stability, but the main advantages are faster loading times, resume play anywhere, no install time, always patched to the latest version. (When it all works, we're not there yet)

I just wasn't sure how much data streaming a day would use.  Even 1080p I thought would be a lot. How does a game in data compare to Netflix?

I got rid of data caps a couple of years ago - very glad for that. Always made me paranoid and that was with me not downloading 100+ gig games.

Stadia uses these amounts

Netflix uses:
SD, 1 GB per hour = 2.3 mbps
HD, 3 GB per hour = 7 mbps
4K, 7 GB per hour = 16.3 mbps (18 mbps with HDR)

So yes, Stadia at 1080p60 with HDR is about 3 times Netflix 1080p.

Stadia per hour would be
720p 10 mbps = 4.4 GB per hour
1080p 20 mbps = 8.8 GB per hour
4K max 35 mbps = 15.4 GB per hour

It still takes over 7 hours of playing Stadia at 4K max to download GT Sport! But yep it's a lot of data.

d21lewis said:
Me? No.

But then I didn't want digital downloads and now that's all I want. What I'm saying is that current gamers, including myself don't want it. We want to collect our games (even a digital collection, in my case). But, just like movies, there will come a time where streaming is the majority.

At 43 years old, I've seen so many things come and go that I thought would be here forever. I don't count anything out anymore.

I can whole heartedly agree with this statement in full.  I love my digital downloads on my Switch.  The fact that I can flip on the fly between 5 or 6 games that I'm playing at any given time is just so appealing and freeing.  And likewise I wouldn't have ever wanted such a thing in previous generations.

Also...when do you turn 44?  We're just about the same age.

Most of the complaints I see are related to the execution, which is besides the point.

IF it could be done right, I would absolutely want Cloud gaming. It would enable me to try games with far less risk, play "exclusive" games without necessarily needing the hardware, and depending on the cost, could be less money for more games.

Around the Network

Eventually I can see not caring if games are only released digitally. Currently however, I still like to collect games. My focus is mostly retro collecting, but I still do like having physical PS4 games. Times are changing.

As far as I am concerned cloud gaming is just a version of full digital.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Doesn't matter what we want. The big publishers will get what they want. Too many gamers who don't care enough and too few of us that want it to stay the same. All we can pray for is that the technology doesn't get there perfectly for a while.

Nope,not me.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

I do. Certainly looking forward to whichever concept makes it flexible and easy for consumers to stream games, whether it comes from Google, Amazon, Sony, Micro, or from whomever.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Personally, not interested. I love collecting physical games, so I see cloud gaming as a threat to physical media which it actually is. Not planning to support further digitalization of gaming media.