By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do gamers really want Cloud gaming?

No, streaming should die. That is how this gamer feels anyway.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
CuCabeludo said:

People here are missing the bigger picture. There are tons of people out there that don't have a Gaming PC/Console but have good internet they use to watch Netflix and would be willing to play games on the cloud using their current potato machines if they get a good cost/benefit from it.

If they don't game because they don't have the money they'll also won't have any money for a monthly subscription and whatever device they'll need (you'll need something) and worse pay full price for rentals on top. If they don't play it because they don't have the infrastructure then they'll need to call their governments first to improve the country they're living in, and that'll take awhile. If they don't game because they don't like it, which will by far be most people out there, then not even shoving tons of free stuff in their faces will get these people to play a video game.

That's a silly condescending tone, because they don't have a gaming pc/console they don't have money?  Most gamers today are mobile gamers. They not only outpace PC/Console gamers in numbers but aswell in revenue. Subscription services are no issue, the prices are adjustable in every region and like many gamestores they can give free games away.

TomaTito said:

Why not? Why limit options?

That^

I mean, traditional console (or PC) is my main mean of gaming but having the cloud option on top of it is just amazing :)
So if I buy my game and the play it at home on my console, or remotely using the cloud, I'll all for it.

SvennoJ said:
Depends on the game. For a real world flight sim, yes. Always up to date, 2 petabytes of real world data to explore, see everyone else flying around or even all real world traffic included. (But no streaming plans yet for ms flight sim)

For VR, definitely not. Every bit of latency and stability counts. Neither for racing, the average latency might be ok in the future or even now but any little lag spike will screw you up.

Adventure / walking sims / puzzle games, Why not.

I think turn based RPGs would be well suited too.

The issue is : Platformers, Rythem games, Shooters, Hack-n-slash, Bullet-hell,... tons of game genre's arnt well suited for cloud streaming.

Imaginedvl said:
TomaTito said:

Why not? Why limit options?

That^

I mean, traditional console (or PC) is my main mean of gaming but having the cloud option on top of it is just amazing :)
So if I buy my game and the play it at home on my console, or remotely using the cloud, I'll all for it.

Even if it means you need to pay more for your internet subscription, ontop of paying for a monthly subscrption to have cloud gameing?

I think alot, would rather just use other options, *IF* they had any.
I see cloud gameing, more as something OTHER instead of a choice ontop off, something.

Its more of a either or, thingy.
Its for those that wont even buy a game console imo.
(because if you had one, why would you subject yourself to a lesser experiance?)

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Imaginedvl said:

That^

Even if it means you need to pay more for your internet subscription, ontop of paying for a monthly subscrption to have cloud gameing?

I see cloud gameing, more as something OTHER instead of a choice ontop off, something.

(because if you had one, why would you subject yourself to a lesser experiance?)

People already pay subs in order to have access to PS+ and Xbox Live on top of their internet sub. I don't know how the model of Xcloud will work. But Stadia will have a base model with no subscription.

CuCabeludo said:
JRPGfan said:

People already pay subs in order to have access to PS+ and Xbox Live on top of their internet sub. I don't know how the model of Xcloud will work. But Stadia will have a base model with no subscription.

Stadia is only "free" for 1hour (before getting kicked off, and requireing re-logon) and at 1080p right?
Even then image quality is lower than consoles running 1080p.

Thats not even factoring in the input delay, lag spikes, artifacting, ect.
You have to put up with, ontop of it being alot more demanding on your internet subscription.

People that play it off as "free" are over exaggerating.
This service is too expensive, for anyone to want to have their bussiness that way.

Next gen everything will be 4k.
Will game streaming also be so? What kinda connection does 4k streaming require?

JRPGfan said:
CuCabeludo said:

Stadia is only "free" for 1hour (before getting kicked off, and requireing re-logon) and at 1080p right?
Even then image quality is lower than consoles running 1080p.

Thats not even factoring in the input delay, lag spikes, artifacting, ect.
You have to put up with, ontop of it being alot more demanding on your internet subscription.

People that play it off as "free" are over exaggerating.
This service is too expensive, for anyone to want to have their bussiness that way.

Next gen everything will be 4k.
Will game streaming also be so? What kinda connection does 4k streaming require?

There will be no upfront 500 bucks pay to be able to play on Stadia base + Free online (No PS+/Xbox live like sub required). A lot of people out there will be happy that they will only need to buy a game and play right away with no additional investment cost.

Probably not right now, but then again, similar arguments were once made for digital only and now that's around 50% of all sales isn't it?

konnichiwa said:
S.Peelman said:

If they don't game because they don't have the money they'll also won't have any money for a monthly subscription and whatever device they'll need (you'll need something) and worse pay full price for rentals on top. If they don't play it because they don't have the infrastructure then they'll need to call their governments first to improve the country they're living in, and that'll take awhile. If they don't game because they don't like it, which will by far be most people out there, then not even shoving tons of free stuff in their faces will get these people to play a video game.

That's a silly condescending tone, because they don't have a gaming pc/console they don't have money?  Most gamers today are mobile gamers. They not only outpace PC/Console gamers in numbers but aswell in revenue. Subscription services are no issue, the prices are adjustable in every region and like many gamestores they can give free games away.

Nice to know you read my post.