By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do gamers really want Cloud gaming?

It will be fun to watch the giants in the industry fighting the cloud gaming wars over the 2020 decade.

Around the Network

Fuck no

I LOVE ICELAND!

I had a great time streaming Persona 5 over PSNow for ~150h, so I certainly do want more cloud gaming, especially for titles that aren't dependend on reaction time etc.

super_etecoon said:
d21lewis said:
Me? No.

But then I didn't want digital downloads and now that's all I want. What I'm saying is that current gamers, including myself don't want it. We want to collect our games (even a digital collection, in my case). But, just like movies, there will come a time where streaming is the majority.

At 43 years old, I've seen so many things come and go that I thought would be here forever. I don't count anything out anymore.

I can whole heartedly agree with this statement in full.  I love my digital downloads on my Switch.  The fact that I can flip on the fly between 5 or 6 games that I'm playing at any given time is just so appealing and freeing.  And likewise I wouldn't have ever wanted such a thing in previous generations.

Also...when do you turn 44?  We're just about the same age.

I have three more months. 😢 Time is going fast! 

As a little kid playing whatever I could for 25 cents a pop, I never cared about owning a game. I just wanted to play. As I got older and finally got an NES, I wanted to keep as many games as I could--even if they sucked. And I wanted to beat every single game I played before moving on to the next one.

As I got older and got my own money, I bought more and more games and machines each generation. Eventually owning more games than I could ever dream of beating.

Now, as I'm older, things have almost come full circle. I have my digital collection but all I care about is being able to play whatever I want to play. My collection of maybe thousands of games mean very little to me. On any given day, I look at decades of collecting and there's just nothing I want to play. I can see myself eventually giving streaming a go. One day.

Around the Network

Lag and input delay do not sound very appealing...

If they work out the kinks like input latency to an acceptable level, sure.

I don't want it now though. I'd much prefer a dedicated piece of hardware. The technology simply isn't there yet.

Digital copies of games, streaming and endless micro transactions are replacing physical game purchases.
When a server shuts down, digital copies of games disappear and the games must be repurchased on new console.
Physical game copies will eventually disappear and it will be digital only.

I prefer digital and physical however Streaming doesn't bother me because a good game is a good game regardless how you play it.

Conina said:
goopy20 said:

With MS's new strategy of focusing on XCloud with a subscription service, instead of just launching a traditional next gen console. I'm just wondering what your thoughts on this are. Of course it pretty cool if you can stream Series-X games on a Xone or mobiles, but is that really what gamers want, instead of a more traditional console? People won't need to fork out $599 for a Series X, which is obviously great and GP does offer great value. However, if you want to play the big AAA games like GTA6 asap, which I'm sure won't launch on GP from day one. You will still need to buy them for $60 just so you can play the cloud version. It didn't really work out well for Stadia, so why would MS go down this same road? 

With Sony's strategy of not ditching PSNow with a subscription service they are clearly not focusing on their next gen console. I'm just wondering what your thoughts on this are. Of course it pretty cool if you can stream PlayStation games on a PlayStation, PC or mobiles, but is that really what gamers want, instead of a more traditional console?

PsNow is just a thing Sony has on the side and they barely promote, or talk about it. Maybe that will change one day and we will all be playing in the cloud in the end. But it's a bit different with MS saying GP is their dna for the next gen and how they're convinced the future of gaming will look like.

Phil Spencer Sees the Future of Gaming to Be Similar to Netflix and Spotify

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/442563/phil-spencer-sees-the-future-of-gaming-to-be-similar-to-netflix-and-spotify/