By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 build cost more than 450 USD , Sony probably having a hard time deciding the retail price

Tagged games:

What do you think

Sony should eat the cost ... 27 42.19%

I don't mind 499 USD PS5 ... 18 28.13%

499 USD is very cheap i will buy 3 5 7.81%

As long it comes with Kna... 10 15.63%

Shut up just give us the ... 4 6.25%

Total:64

Well if they have a boom of 450, then the console could easily be sold at 399 @BraLoD

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Sounds like they'll wait for Xbox pricing and that it will be similar in power to the high end Xbox

I am Iron Man

If the number is correct, the only decision is wheter they will profit at $499 or take a small loss at $449. Either way I think MS will match whatever price sony chooses.

DonFerrari said:
Well if they have a boom of 450, then the console could easily be sold at 399 @BraLoD

To retail for $399, retailers would have to buy it for something like $370-375. That would be a HUGE loss per unit for sony.

Only Sony knows what the game lineup will be like for the first 3 months. If they are very confident in it, go for $500, the economy is good. If the lineup is a bit weak, go $450 or even lower.

edit: maybe they should care about the first 6-8 months...depends on launch date, which I assume will be Novemberish?

Around the Network
Nu-13 said:

If the number is correct, the only decision is wheter they will profit at $499 or take a small loss at $449. Either way I think MS will match whatever price sony chooses.

They'd take a $100ish loss selling at $499. 

They'll have to get that to the retailer around $425-$450, and to get it there it has to be manufactured and shipped.  It also has to be backed up by a marketing budget, otherwise few will sell.  So, I'd add at least $100 to the BoM to get their actual cost per unit. 

hunter_alien said:
I am more than OK to pay 500$ for a competent system. Considering that high-end phones are mostly on offer at 800$ when they launch, I think 500 is not a huge investment for a system that will last you 6-7 years, and actually have a resale value.

Comparisons with different types of products don't work.

399 With not HD and 449 with one. The loss is only for a short time because people buy games,extra controller, ps plus, ps now etc that makes money and the losses will be regained fast.

I think $500 is a reasonable price given the specs. Maybe sweeten the deal with a bonus like 3 months of PS Plus included. I don't see the PS5 being priced any lower than $450. And since home consoles tend to launch with prices in increments of a hundred, round it up to $500.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Nu-13 said:
hunter_alien said:
I am more than OK to pay 500$ for a competent system. Considering that high-end phones are mostly on offer at 800$ when they launch, I think 500 is not a huge investment for a system that will last you 6-7 years, and actually have a resale value.

Comparisons with different types of products don't work.

Yes, it does, to a certain degree. The same way as smartphones started to become more versatile so did consoles, and 500$ in 2020 is not a high pricepoint IMO, for what will be the only media center that you will need for the next 6 years. Also, if sales are slow they can always cut it by 100$ a year or two later when component prices come down significantly.

The age of dirt-cheap systems is over. Even Nintendo is asking 300$ for what is essentially a tablet and 80$ for a gamepad, and people are more than willing to pay that amount (myself included). 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!