By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 build cost more than 450 USD , Sony probably having a hard time deciding the retail price

Tagged games:

What do you think

Sony should eat the cost ... 27 42.19%

I don't mind 499 USD PS5 ... 18 28.13%

499 USD is very cheap i will buy 3 5 7.81%

As long it comes with Kna... 10 15.63%

Shut up just give us the ... 4 6.25%

Total:64
Radek said:
Trumpstyle said:
Sony better charge $400 if the console is 9TF or this is a robbery.

How? 9.2 Tflops in 2020 is more towards high-end while 1.8 Tflops in 2013 was mid-range, also ultra fast 1 TB SSD is much more expensive than 500 GB HDD or even 1TB HDD is, also factor in inflation in 7 years and Coronavirus.

Look what first party devs achieved with 1.8 Tflops. Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, TLOU 2, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, Spiderman, 9.2 Tflops is plenty.

$499 even if it's 9.2 Tflops is more than fair price.

EDIT: Also how do you even expect it to cost $399 when it's already costing $450 to produce? Doesn't factor packaging, shipping, retail margin etc.

All this talk about Tflops... And no talk about how powerful the graphics processor is. ;)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

I'd just go with a $449 price point and take the ~$25-$30 loss per console. They'd break even with the sale of a single 1st party game. A similar situation to this gen.

Though, if they really want people to move on to the PS5 quicker and completely crush it again next gen, it may be worth it to just take the ~$75-$80 hit per console. It's much less than the PS3's losses of $200+, and considering that they are using more off the shelf parts, prices will drop much quicker.

The only problem with the 499 price point is a lot of people(including me) will hold off for the inevitable drop to 399.

If Xbox Serie X is even more "powerful", it will be problem no ? Because the price will be very high ?

Keiji said:
If Xbox Serie X is even more "powerful", it will be problem no ? Because the price will be very high ?

Agree, i can see Xbox  Series X slightly or a little bit more powerful, but i don't see more than 20 % or 10 % difference between those two.  

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
Keiji said:

Agree, i can see Xbox  Series X slightly or a little bit more powerful, but i don't see more than 20 % or 10 % difference between those two.  

So you think the price could the same ? Or a little less for PS5 ?

trunkswd said:
The PS4 in 2013 launched at $399. When you adjust for inflation it would cost $442 today. A PS5 launching at $449 would be the same price as the PS4 at launch. I could see a PS5 for $449 with a 500GB SSD and a PS5 for $499 with a 1TB SSD.

I see, thank you.

It’s gonna be $499. Question is whether MS is willing to eat the cost and make Series X the same price

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

trunkswd said:
The PS4 in 2013 launched at $399. When you adjust for inflation it would cost $442 today. A PS5 launching at $449 would be the same price as the PS4 at launch. I could see a PS5 for $449 with a 500GB SSD and a PS5 for $499 with a 1TB SSD.

$449 for components only, what about retail profit/manufacturing/shipping and logistics costs?

HollyGamer said:
sethnintendo said:

Well if China thing spirals out of control or hampers manufacturing supply chains like it already has then you can expect a huge initial shipment of a thousand consoles for initial launch.

It would then turn into a lottery for the rich and famous like sports athletes putting down millions of dollars for a launch console so they can boast on social media how privileged their kids are to have such a great parent.

from Bloomberg :" The ongoing coronavirus outbreak has had no impact so far on preparations for PlayStation 5 production, they said. The company has yet to decide how many PlayStation 5 units it will make in the first year, " 

Well they don't know how long this will last.  If it keeps going for months then it might have impact.  The extended holiday shutdown is already affecting manufacturing in USA and Europe for cars and electronics that depend on parts and components from factories in China.  So they can't say for sure.  Now if it blows over in month or so yea nothing to worry about for PS5 production.

I was just giving doomsday scenario with a little joking bs thrown in.  However I'll stand by and say if it goes into summer months and virus still has country on idle then you might want to worry about the launch date.