By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 build cost more than 450 USD , Sony probably having a hard time deciding the retail price

Tagged games:

What do you think

Sony should eat the cost ... 27 42.19%

I don't mind 499 USD PS5 ... 18 28.13%

499 USD is very cheap i will buy 3 5 7.81%

As long it comes with Kna... 10 15.63%

Shut up just give us the ... 4 6.25%

Total:64

It’s gonna be $499. Question is whether MS is willing to eat the cost and make Series X the same price

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
The PS4 in 2013 launched at $399. When you adjust for inflation it would cost $442 today. A PS5 launching at $449 would be the same price as the PS4 at launch. I could see a PS5 for $449 with a 500GB SSD and a PS5 for $499 with a 1TB SSD.

$449 for components only, what about retail profit/manufacturing/shipping and logistics costs?

HollyGamer said:
sethnintendo said:

Well if China thing spirals out of control or hampers manufacturing supply chains like it already has then you can expect a huge initial shipment of a thousand consoles for initial launch.

It would then turn into a lottery for the rich and famous like sports athletes putting down millions of dollars for a launch console so they can boast on social media how privileged their kids are to have such a great parent.

from Bloomberg :" The ongoing coronavirus outbreak has had no impact so far on preparations for PlayStation 5 production, they said. The company has yet to decide how many PlayStation 5 units it will make in the first year, " 

Well they don't know how long this will last.  If it keeps going for months then it might have impact.  The extended holiday shutdown is already affecting manufacturing in USA and Europe for cars and electronics that depend on parts and components from factories in China.  So they can't say for sure.  Now if it blows over in month or so yea nothing to worry about for PS5 production.

I was just giving doomsday scenario with a little joking bs thrown in.  However I'll stand by and say if it goes into summer months and virus still has country on idle then you might want to worry about the launch date.

Not sure about this. Sony haven't officially said anything. Its just "people with knowledge" says this. Might just be a way to make sure MS doesn't go too low.

I bought 2 ps3's at launch at CAD 650, bring it on. (2nd was purely for blu-rays since the ps3 was still cheaper than a standalone blu-ray player at the time)

US 499 would be CAD 650 again today, no problem. It's CAD 662 at today's rate but shops still like to round to the nearest 50. The XBox One X is actually quite cheap here at CAD 599 (Still US 499 afaik)

Anyway I hope they don't make last minute changes and put less ram or less storage in it to keep it cheap :/

Around the Network
Keiji said:
HollyGamer said:

Agree, i can see Xbox  Series X slightly or a little bit more powerful, but i don't see more than 20 % or 10 % difference between those two.  

So you think the price could the same ? Or a little less for PS5 ?

The price could be the same, but it doesn't matter anyway . Because the diffrence won't be even matter if it less then 30% power gap. It won't be noticeable or super difficult to notice, unless you playing the games just to spot the difference. PS4 to Xbox One was around 40%, while  Xbox One X to PS4 pro around 43% difference in performance . 

sethnintendo said:
HollyGamer said:

from Bloomberg :" The ongoing coronavirus outbreak has had no impact so far on preparations for PlayStation 5 production, they said. The company has yet to decide how many PlayStation 5 units it will make in the first year, " 

Well they don't know how long this will last.  If it keeps going for months then it might have impact.  The extended holiday shutdown is already affecting manufacturing in USA and Europe for cars and electronics that depend on parts and components from factories in China.  So they can't say for sure.  Now if it blows over in month or so yea nothing to worry about for PS5 production.

I was just giving doomsday scenario with a little joking bs thrown in.  However I'll stand by and say if it goes into summer months and virus still has country on idle then you might want to worry about the launch date.

You can be right , and everything are difficult to predict . We might have have an asteroids hit  earth next month and the world ends :P 

HoangNhatAnh said:
trunkswd said:
The PS4 in 2013 launched at $399. When you adjust for inflation it would cost $442 today. A PS5 launching at $449 would be the same price as the PS4 at launch. I could see a PS5 for $449 with a 500GB SSD and a PS5 for $499 with a 1TB SSD.

$449 for components only, what about retail profit/manufacturing/shipping and logistics costs?

That could bring it up to $499. It depends if Sony is willing to lose money on each one sold or not. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

HollyGamer said:
sethnintendo said:

You can be right , and everything are difficult to predict . We might have have an asteroids hit  earth next month and the world ends :P 

Yea or my current president could stop being such an asshole but we all know those two scenarios are highly unlikely to happen.

The virus will probably blow over in a couple months is my guess and then factories in China will return to normal.

sethnintendo said:
HollyGamer said:

Yea or my current president could stop being such an asshole but we all know those two scenarios are highly unlikely to happen.

The virus will probably blow over in a couple months is my guess and then factories in China will return to normal.

Where are you from ? Every president are the same ^^