By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 build cost more than 450 USD , Sony probably having a hard time deciding the retail price

Tagged games:

What do you think

Sony should eat the cost ... 27 42.19%

I don't mind 499 USD PS5 ... 18 28.13%

499 USD is very cheap i will buy 3 5 7.81%

As long it comes with Kna... 10 15.63%

Shut up just give us the ... 4 6.25%

Total:64

Lol Imagine is MS is also waiting for Sony to announce the price.

Around the Network

Better to wait at least 1 year

Pocky Lover Boy! 

couchmonkey said:

Only Sony knows what the game lineup will be like for the first 3 months. If they are very confident in it, go for $500, the economy is good. If the lineup is a bit weak, go $450 or even lower.

edit: maybe they should care about the first 6-8 months...depends on launch date, which I assume will be Novemberish?

It will be all up to th3 competition which is the Xbox Series X. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Sony executives are voicing patience about the next console’s pricing as they anticipate the transition to be a gradual one, said people familiar with its day-to-day operations. Many of the games launched for the PlayStation 5 will also be available to play on the predecessor machine, so revenue from software and related network services is expected to keep the business performance intact. Microsoft and Sony are both expanding their respective online subscription services, revenue from which may allow them greater flexibility on hardware pricing.

This paragraph confirms that I'll probably stick with my PS4 for at least the first year.

Signature goes here!

If it really is ~$450 manufacturing costs, then Sony needs to just bite the bullet and make it $399. A $50-$70 loss on each system is NOT that big of a deal for a multi-billion dollar company like Sony. Keep in mind that until PS4, every Sony console was sold at a loss at the beginning. What scared Sony was the losses on PS3 - but that is NOT the same situation as this rumor is saying. PS3 was sold at $599 (a still ridiculous price), and STILL had a loss of $200-$300 per console. Now that is bad. $50 is not something Sony should be sweating over.

Within six months I bet they can get that $50 loss down to a break-even point. And by holiday 2021, PS5 would be making a (small) profit per console already.

Around the Network

I can't wait for the next 6 months to be over so we can get all this secretive bs out of the way. My assumption is that Sony needs to wait for MS to announce price because Sony doesn't want the bad pr for selling a lower power machine for the same price.

jason1637 said:
Lol Imagine is MS is also waiting for Sony to announce the price.

There was a thread just dedicated to this conundrum =p

Because Sony rep said they didn't decide the price yet and were aware of competition.

NextGen_Gamer said:
If it really is ~$450 manufacturing costs, then Sony needs to just bite the bullet and make it $399. A $50-$70 loss on each system is NOT that big of a deal for a multi-billion dollar company like Sony. Keep in mind that until PS4, every Sony console was sold at a loss at the beginning. What scared Sony was the losses on PS3 - but that is NOT the same situation as this rumor is saying. PS3 was sold at $599 (a still ridiculous price), and STILL had a loss of $200-$300 per console. Now that is bad. $50 is not something Sony should be sweating over.

Within six months I bet they can get that $50 loss down to a break-even point. And by holiday 2021, PS5 would be making a (small) profit per console already.

For the first year PS4 was also sold at loss, breaking even with PS+ and a game sold. Seems just what PS5 would need to sell for 399 and break even as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

As long as its backwards compatible and Gamestop will give me at least $200 to trade in the 4 Pro at the time, I'm fine with a $499 price point.

NextGen_Gamer said:

It is a big deal and it would be a $75 loss minimum. Retailers need their profit.

They will price at the maximum the market will handle.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--