By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Birds of Prey - 82% RT, and good audience reception

haxxiy said:
Angelus said:
I doubt it's particularly good. All the promotional material makes it look like a Harley Quinn movie masquerading as a team up movie, which means it's likely all the characters end up getting short changed, and the movie feels like it's stuck in an awkward middle ground that doesn't fully give anyone what they're looking for.

How about watching it before forming up an opinion to counter the people who have, you know, actually watched it?

You know, just a thought.

It's ok to have doubts,those do not have to be permanent opinions and what he said in his comment is something that some others that actually watched the movie have issues with,he can counter people with his personal preferences about movies even when he did not see them because he firstly did not state anything absolute,no wrong in that.

Edit: What do you think to purpose of a trailer is for a good amount of those that watch them?

Last edited by Immersiveunreality - on 08 February 2020

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
I heard it was Ghostbusters 2016 tier bad *shrugs*

Yeah, would be a bit over te top to compare it with that:p

Margot robbie seems to be great and also some of the special effects and fight scenes,not sure about Ewan Mcgregor but he is a great actor.

The trailers didn't do anything for me but after some positive reviews I gave it a chance. Ended up about as mediocre as I expected, but not awful. Not much character development, the action is pretty divorced from the story, lots of plot holes, lacking visual identity, and the leads don't get enough time to play off each other. Regardless of sales I wish the DCEU would break out of this middling rut. At least we're no longer at the lows of BvS and Suicide Squad...

haxxiy said:
Angelus said:
I doubt it's particularly good. All the promotional material makes it look like a Harley Quinn movie masquerading as a team up movie, which means it's likely all the characters end up getting short changed, and the movie feels like it's stuck in an awkward middle ground that doesn't fully give anyone what they're looking for.

How about watching it before forming up an opinion to counter the people who have, you know, actually watched it?

You know, just a thought.

Not sure why you're so defensive. Obviously I could be wrong. All I did was share the opinion I formed based on the promotional material, which, last I checked, is exactly the material the studio puts out there in order for me to form an opinion on whether or not I should go pay to see their movie. 

Not sure where "Ocean's 8 flopped" comes from.

$300 million box office versus a $70 million budget is a very healthy box office multiplier (over 4x its budget). If you could get a 4x multiplier on just about any script you came up with, every studio in Hollywood would greenlight your script and gladly.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
I love DC comics and I actually enjoy most of their movies but I'm kinda shocked. The trailers looked pretty bad and I wasn't expecting much from this film.

Now I just hope it makes a decent amount of money. I'll be seeing it this coming Thursday or Friday when I don't have to work.

If you are worried about it making money you should see it twice.

shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be quite that bad, 6.8 on IMDb for Birds of Prey compared to a 5.2 for Ghostbusters. Still not great user reviews though, and I can see why the person I heard that from compared them, the whole all-female main cast, girl power thing. No idea why movie studios keep doing these girl power movies when they've mostly been flopping and reviewing poorly, Ghostbusters 2016 started the trend, and it has been continued by Ocean's 8, Charlie's Angels 2019, and now Birds of Prey, all of which got bad to meh user reviews, and the Ghostbusters and Charlie's Angels reboots were box office flops as well (with only Ocean's 8 managing to break even). Seems like Birds of Prey may continue that trend, first weekend estimates are coming in about $20m below pre-release projections in the US and $10-20m below pre-release projections internationally, and the break-even point is being estimated at $235m by Box Office Pro.

*sigh* There always has to be one of you on every thread. (And usually there's more.)

The fact is that female-centered movies are averaging higher ticket sales and revenues than are male-centered movies these days, overall. Without pre-judging Birds of Prey without having yet seen it myself, it's VERY selective to only highlight Ocean's 8 and the Ghostbusters and Charlie's Angels remakes when there have been, in the last decade, such pictures as Mad Max: Fury Road, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Gravity, The Hunger Games, a few Star Wars movies (the first three of which at least were not flops anyway), The Bridesmaids, Hidden Figures, The Hate U Give, Wonder Woman, and Captain Marvel, and those are just some of the better-known examples. Another film that users created a thread about here on VGC to crap on in advance was Greta Gerwig's film adaptation of Little Women, which has gone on to become a critical and commercial smash hit (especially relative to its budget), in addition to being nominated for six Oscars. Also, in animation, there have been such success stories as Inside Out, Finding Dory, Moana, and Zootopia, as well as both Frozen movies, all of which have been well-received. (Yeah, that's a Disney lineup, I know: they're basically the only company that does animation for girls.) Most of these pictures could be described as pro-feminist and three (The Bridesmaids, Little Women, and Hidden Figures) use all-female casts of protagonists. A few of them even had female directors.

In addition to the above commercial hits, I would point to a number of other examples of female-centered pictures that impressed me over the last decade, including the lesbian romances Portrait of a Lady on Fire and Carol, as well the Studio Ghibli picture The Tale of the Princess Kaguya and one of my personal favorite movies of the last decade, Winter's Bone, because all of those are objectively solid films even though they didn't make the most money in the world. Also Lady Bird and I, Tonya.

Not that I'm counting on Birds of Prey to be a masterpiece of cinema or anything. My expectations of it are moderate. Critics and audiences are scoring it better than predecessor Suicide Squad, but not to a degree that suggest it to be anything really special. I'm expecting a passable-but-not-special, goofy, heavily stylized celebration of female friendships...which is fine by me. But we'll see.

My point though is that, regardless of this particular movie, while you might find "girl power" frightening and objectionable, the fact is that large numbers of people are interested in stories about girls and women, and not just in seeing them sexualized and turned into naught but helpless, hapless victims all the time like you'd prefer. And also that, frankly, many if not most female-centered movies being released today really do have some artistic merit. One really has to reach to find only the lesser examples. That takes conscious effort.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 09 February 2020

shikamaru317 said:

You’re making a lot of assumptions about me here:

-I never said that I personally have a problem with girl power movies, only that a lot of the recent ones have flopped.

-I was specifically referring to group/team girl power movies, and a lot of those recent ones have flopped as I pointed out. Many solo female led movies have been big successes, you don’t have to look very hard to find successful solo female lead movies like Captain Marvel of The Hunger Games.

-Never said that I like my female characters to be sexualized damsels in distress *facepalm*

- I am perfectly happy playing games or watching movies that have strong female leads (as a for instance, I loved games with strong female main characters like Horizon: Zero Dawn, Uncharted: Lost Legacy, and Assassin’s Creed Odyssey). I just hate it when writers degrade male characters to make their female characters look better, or make their female characters overpowered Mary Sues, like for instance Rey in the Star Wars sequel trilogy. Birds of Prey might not even be one of those pieces of media that does that, all I said was that somebody told me that it is one of those. I will judge the movie when I watch it myself, likely once it is available to rent.

Sorry, I've taken enough shit off your type to not be interested in continuing to do so anymore.

I have observed that characters like you never ever apply the same sorts of complaints in reverse. Never would someone like you complain of girls or women being portrayed poorly in films or any other medium, though it is exponentially more commonplace. None of your type ever complains of "Gary Stus" or anything of this nature, nor that, for example, most movies include literally no dialogue between women that isn't about men. But any time, and yes I mean ANY time, ANY movie about girls or women is announced, instantly there are men here claiming to be victimized well before its release. I find it impossible not to notice that logical contrast and have to ask myself why it's there.

shikamaru317 said:

And again, you judge me, saying that I’m a certain type. You might have been in arguments with somebody else here on VGC, but it sure as shoot wasn’t me, so please stop labeling me and lumping me in with others.

For your information, I’m no more a fan of Gary Stu’s than I am of Mary Sue’s. Bad writing is bad writing, designing a character with too many unearned strengths and few or no weaknesses is bad writing. As a writer myself, I will always call our bad writing. Good writing is building up a character over time, showing their struggles as they overcome them, so that the readers/viewers can relate to them, not building some all-powerful character whom everything comes easy to without them having to work at it.

Perhaps in the future try not to judge or label others quite so readily based on a few sentences over the internet. This will be my last response to this, I usually avoid discussions about this sort of thing but you called me out for some reason or other.

This will be my final reply on this subject as well because I'm tired of having this same conversation on every film-related thread.

The "some reason" for which I called you out was because you dedicated a whole response to complaining about the existence of what you called "girl power" movies, which I couldn't help but feel had sexist undertones because the people who write like that are usually the same ones who have also spent the last decade or so participating in misogynistic online activist movements like #GamerGate, #StarWarsFans, etc. Maybe, maybe I have lumped you in with those sorts of scenes incorrectly based on preferred lingo and convenient, typical selection of film highlights...but if so, you can forgive me for reaching that conclusion given the tone and context of the post in question, no?

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/birds-of-prey-and-the-fantabulous-emancipation-of-one-harley-quinn?ref=hp
Bird's of Prey has an average review score of only 60% on Metacritic. Another Hollywood flop with bad acting and weak story. The superheroes in this film do not even reflect the comic books. Better marketing and calling the film Harley Quinn may have boosted sales.

"Topping the box office, “Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)” still fell far below projections. Analysts had expected the film’s domestic opening to reach around $50 million; instead it brought in $33.3 million."

Last edited by Phoenix20 - on 11 February 2020