By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - Birds of Prey - 82% RT, and good audience reception

SuaveSocialist said:
Eagle367 said:

That's a really strange metric mate. I mean wonder woman, aquaman, Shazam, joker and now Birds of prey have all been any where from decent to classic. None have been bad. So you didn't watch joker because of this metric as well?x

It may seem strange, but it's the metric DC earned.  Had Phase 1 crapped out four unwatchable insults against the artistic medium of cinema, they'd owe me four consecutive critical hits.  And until they redeem themselves, they run the risk of raising my standards if another certifiably Rotten movie is added to their body of work. 

Wonder Woman was indeed a great movie.  I'm glad to have seen it before Justice League convinced me to put DC on probation.  Didn't watch Aquaman.  Didn't watch Shazam.  Didn't watch Joker.  Didn't watch Birds of Prey.  Won't watch Wonder Woman 1984.  Won't watch The Batman. If DC resets the clock (again), I'll keep giving their movies a hard pass.  

Their individual quality, be it real or imagined by yourself, is unimportant.  

Your weird metric aside, go watch Joker NOW. It's one of the movies of the year. It's not even DCEU so your metric shouldn't stand in this case. Of you didn't watch joker, are you gonna skip out on all of the animated DC movies? And all of the WB movies?  I would say you are only hurting yourself here by skipping out on enjoyable movies and again, go watch Joker NOW. You won't regret it.



Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network

Alright, I saw it. Now with the important qualification that I don't personally follow comic books these days to have any perspective on how true or untrue this title is to any corresponding comics, my take was that Birds of Prey is not a masterpiece. It is not a deep movie. It is, however, a fun movie! I laughed more than I thought I would. I especially enjoyed the parts where Margot Robbie spoke directly to the audience.

In other words, it's basically what I expected it to be: a zany, goofy movie celebrating female friendship. That's all. If you're up for that, you'll like it. If you're looking for something more, you won't find it here. One thing's for sure though: this movie is objectively better-made and more enjoyable than its predecessor, Suicide Squad, by leaps and bounds.

It doesn't shock me that the Birds of Prey met with a weak opening weekend (relative to expectations, that is). Opening weekend ticket sales are a reflection of pre-release hype and it's no surprise to me that demand for a sequel to a film people (myself included) broadly disliked was low from the outset. However, it has been better-received than Suicide Squad by those who have watched it so far. Perhaps then positive word of mouth will build more interest over time and translate into Birds of Prey "having long legs", as the cinephiles say. We'll see.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 14 February 2020

Jaicee said:

Alright, I saw it. Now with the important qualification that I don't personally follow comic books these days to have any perspective on how true or untrue this title is to any corresponding comics, my take was that Birds of Prey is not a masterpiece. It is not a deep movie. It is, however, a fun movie! I laughed more than I thought I would. I especially enjoyed the parts where Margot Robbie spoke directly to the audience.

In other words, it's basically what I expected it to be: a zany, goofy movie celebrating female friendship. That's all. If you're up for that, you'll like it. If you're looking for something more, you won't find it here. One thing's for sure though: this movie is objectively better-made and more enjoyable than its predecessor, Suicide Squad, by leaps and bounds.

It doesn't shock me that the Birds of Prey met with a weak opening weekend (relative to expectations, that is). Opening weekend ticket sales are a reflection of pre-release hype and it's no surprise to me that demand for a sequel to a film people (myself included) broadly disliked was low from the outset. However, it has been better-received than Suicide Squad by those who have watched it so far. Perhaps then positive word of mouth will build more interest over time and translate into Birds of Prey "having long legs", as the cinephiles say. We'll see.

Exactly what I've been telling people. Not every movie has to be Joker level or 1917 or parasite, you can just have fun movies. People are overly critical these days and I just watched sonic, which was a fun time. But a guy next to me went critic mode and wanted me to say it was bad, which it wasn't. When a movie is made to be fun and it is, that's not a bad movie. Just learn to have fun is a message people seem to forget these days, 



Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Eagle367 said:

Exactly what I've been telling people. Not every movie has to be Joker level or 1917 or parasite, you can just have fun movies. People are overly critical these days and I just watched sonic, which was a fun time. But a guy next to me went critic mode and wanted me to say it was bad, which it wasn't. When a movie is made to be fun and it is, that's not a bad movie. Just learn to have fun is a message people seem to forget these days, 

Exactly. It accomplishes what it sets out to do, and I find what it sets out to do agreeable enough.



Eagle367 said:
SuaveSocialist said:

It may seem strange, but it's the metric DC earned.  Had Phase 1 crapped out four unwatchable insults against the artistic medium of cinema, they'd owe me four consecutive critical hits.  And until they redeem themselves, they run the risk of raising my standards if another certifiably Rotten movie is added to their body of work. 

Wonder Woman was indeed a great movie.  I'm glad to have seen it before Justice League convinced me to put DC on probation.  Didn't watch Aquaman.  Didn't watch Shazam.  Didn't watch Joker.  Didn't watch Birds of Prey.  Won't watch Wonder Woman 1984.  Won't watch The Batman. If DC resets the clock (again), I'll keep giving their movies a hard pass.  

Their individual quality, be it real or imagined by yourself, is unimportant.  

Your weird metric aside, go watch Joker NOW. It's one of the movies of the year. It's not even DCEU so your metric shouldn't stand in this case. Of you didn't watch joker, are you gonna skip out on all of the animated DC movies? And all of the WB movies?  I would say you are only hurting yourself here by skipping out on enjoyable movies and again, go watch Joker NOW. You won't regret it. 

No.  I'm not going to watch it.  I already explained what needs to happen first.

Yes, I'm going to skip out on them.  DC movies are DC movies.  Snyderverse, animated, WB...makes no difference.  If I'm to choose between one continuity and another...I'd rather not choose at all. 

No, I'm not hurting myself.  I am perfectly capable of enjoying my free time without setting any of it aside for DC.  There are a great number of enjoyable movies that I can watch instead, and the experience of watching them is not diminished just because I'll choose them over DC movies.  To the contrary, my decision seems to be hurting you.  For some reason, you appear to be more emotionally invested in which movies I don't watch than I am.

Again, no.  I'm not going to watch it.  Typing this comment was worthy of time.  DC movies are not worthy of my time, and they won't be for at least another year. 



Around the Network

Just watched the movie.

Definitely a fun flick with an amazing cast. Won't be remembering for very long, but it was a joy from begging to end.

Not a fan of the soundtrack, even if it does fit the world and the movie.



Any idea how well it did this weekend? I'm hoping it makes a profit since (from what I hear) Margot Robbie put up a lot of her own money. She believed in this project and it's sad that it didn't find an audience.



mZuzek loves Smeags. 😢

d21lewis said:
Any idea how well it did this weekend? I'm hoping it makes a profit since (from what I hear) Margot Robbie put up a lot of her own money. She believed in this project and it's sad that it didn't find an audience.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/02/16/box-office-harley-quinn-birds-of-prey-barely-recovers-as-bad-boys-for-life-tops-matrix-and-john-wick-3-margot-robbie-will-smith-keanu-reeves/

So not great, but not awful. Hopefully the next weekend doesn't have a major drop either.



d21lewis said:
Any idea how well it did this weekend? I'm hoping it makes a profit since (from what I hear) Margot Robbie put up a lot of her own money. She believed in this project and it's sad that it didn't find an audience.

I'm kinda glad it didn't find an audience. It irks me to no end when moviemakers decide to just slap the name of established characters into some random actors that don't resemble the source material not even a little bit. Like, the only thing that asian chick has in commom with Cassandra Cain is that they are both asian. That's it.

And although the race-bending thing has worked in some cases (Nick Fury, Aquaman, KingPin) I still find it to be highly distastesful when not done correctly. Like, if you want to have a white actor on screen, then take a white character from the comics; if you want to have an asian actor on screen, then take an asian character from the comics, and if you want to have a black actor on screen, then take a black character from the efffing comics! How hard is that? There is already a bunch of diversity in the comics to chose from!

And then they didnt even try to resemble their iconic customes!



Moren said:
d21lewis said:
Any idea how well it did this weekend? I'm hoping it makes a profit since (from what I hear) Margot Robbie put up a lot of her own money. She believed in this project and it's sad that it didn't find an audience.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/02/16/box-office-harley-quinn-birds-of-prey-barely-recovers-as-bad-boys-for-life-tops-matrix-and-john-wick-3-margot-robbie-will-smith-keanu-reeves/

So not great, but not awful. Hopefully the next weekend doesn't have a major drop either.

Thanks for the article. Good read. I'm hoping it hangs around. I wanted it to be a huge success (after finding out that it was actually a good movie--before the reviews, I thought it looked terrible). I'll be happy if it's not a big money loser. Looks like all is not yet lost.

Still have to see it one day this week. Darn work schedule. I'm tempted to pirate it but I always see comic book films in the theater.



mZuzek loves Smeags. 😢